Ferry prices

Caddies104

By using Frequent Traveller with a friend it is £46+£12 supplement for motorhome = £58 each crossing, as we go over twice at least as do our friends, who will probably use the remaining two crossings if we don't blag them for the Christmas markets next December!.

This is cheaper than DFDS, our normally used ferry operator even using their frequent traveller discount scheme and P&O. As said we check every year and this is the first time we have found Eurotunnel close to the ferry so the first time we have used it Timings are start of June crossing midday returning late June midday. and same in September.

The point being we have looked at this many times before and have never had to pay more than £95 return on DFDS but this year we couldn't get less than £129 return (approx. I can't remember actual figure, £79.?? one way and £79.?? and £49.?? the other at silly time i.e.00.05 in the morning) against £116 return on the tunnel at sensible times for us.

Perhaps you two could get together and do the same?

Bas

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have just booked our 7.3m motorhome from Newhaven to Dieppe at 1100 on 27 March for £68.50. This is 20% off the advertised price for those over 60, and it only requires a phone call to get the discount. The C&MH Club doesn't have a deal with DFDS on this route, so this seems a good deal.

Brought my new motorhome back from Germany at the end of November and the Tunnel was a fair bit cheaper than the ferry. My experience of the ferry is that they are usually overcrowded, no where to sit and shocking food at high prices. Going on the tunnel means I get a 30 min snooze in the comfort of the van, and tuck into our own food! I will only use the ferry out of desperation.

rael - 2019-01-14 9:48 PM

Brought my new motorhome back from Germany at the end of November and the Tunnel was a fair bit cheaper than the ferry. My experience of the ferry is that they are usually overcrowded, no where to sit and shocking food at high prices. Going on the tunnel means I get a 30 min snooze in the comfort of the van, and tuck into our own food! I will only use the ferry out of desperation.

What time and date, as I find this amazing, as never in a month of Sundays have I found the tunnel cheaper than a ferry?

Yes, I found it strange as well. Not sure if it was because it was a single journey, or the fact I started the journey in France, or just a glitch in the booking system. Cant remember how much but about £76 rings a bell. Just tried to replicate same journey and ferry is cheaper! Must have been my lucky day.

• 4 weeks later...
BruceM - 2019-01-01 8:39 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2019-01-01 6:06 PM

I believe this is the case where P&O’s cruise operations are concerned

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Corporation_%26_plc

but apparently P&O Ferries is a different entity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%26O_Ferries

Quite right.

British registered as a private limited company and as of 2016 with one shareholder namely Dubai Ferry Holdings Ltd . A number of the directors are based in the United Arab Emirates so that tallies.

And now owned by DP World (Dubai) https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-dp-wrld-p-o-m-a/dp-world-buys-back-britain-based-po-ferries-for-322-million-idUKKCN1Q90L3

This post made me check for later on in the year as we plan a Swiss trip. Out on the 3rd September, back on the 24th. Ferry £230; tunnel £188. no brainer!

Thinking of heading to the Bern area having spoken to a campsite at the show yesterday, never been to Switzerland before and want to try a train journey or two- anyone any thoughts?

regards

Bob

• 1 month later...
Caddies104 - 2019-04-01 5:47 PM

Hi

Just an update, Ferry price leaving on May 4th, back on 23June is now down to £118 with P&O and Caravan club. Down £50 from what it first was :-) (lol)

This thread got me checking the prices, and as of today the tunnel on the 23rd June back to the UK is around £112 plus £19 for the dog, and DFDS( Dieppe - Newhaven) including the dog is £132.50, and we should get 20% off as over 60! 8.3 metre M/H.

(

Get a Tesco combined credit and club card, use it anywhere in the UK at no cost. Pay for anything and everything and you will soon rack up vouchers. Simples

In my understanding it’s not quite as straight forward at that. Yes, you have one point for each pound spent, but that’s only in a Tesco store. Away from Tesco it’s one point for every four pounds spent.

Cattwg :-D

Caravan and Motorhome Club is not always cheaper, we have always booked through them previously but checked with DFDS for a return crossing, 21st May coming back on 9th July. CMC 168 pounds, DFDS 118 pounds, needless to say we booked direct with DFDS. Always pays to shop around.

Bojitoes - 2019-02-20 1:07 PM

This post made me check for later on in the year as we plan a Swiss trip. Out on the 3rd September, back on the 24th. Ferry £230; tunnel £188. no brainer!

Thinking of heading to the Bern area having spoken to a campsite at the show yesterday, never been to Switzerland before and want to try a train journey or two- anyone any thoughts?

regards

Bob

One train journey which is unbeatable and a trip of a lifetime is the rack and pinion railway which climbs up to Kleine Scheidegg. If you want to pay more you can continue to the Jungfrau but when i went i was content with sitting outside a coffee bar at Kleine Scheidegg which gave a fantastic view of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau.

It's not a cheap trip by any means, but one you'll never forget. Grindelwald or Wengen is a good start point and only 45 miles from Bern. Don't bother with Interlaken unless you want to be surrounded by Brits who swarm there every year and think they've "seen" Switzerland.

Try and pick a decent day and aim to set off by 0830hr. Clear blue skies are commonplace in Switzerland. Kleine Scheidegg is obviously touristy but pretty as is Wengen and Grindelwald,

Here are a couple of links;

https://www.jungfrau.ch/shop/en/tickets/bergbahn/angebote/kleine-scheidegg

https://www.contentedtraveller.com/big-3-mountains-eiger-monch-jungfrau/

Neuchatel or Lucerne is worth a visit if you want to experience the Swiss public transport system. You can get anywhere in Switzerland via bus and/or train. It's not overly expensive, extremely clean and above all, super efficient. Trains and buses arrive and depart at what time it states on the timetable.

Archived