Inverter requirement for Asus laptop power supply

robdav

Keith

I should have said, leisure battery had been on charge all night so was up at 13.6v before I started the test (as I did have the heating on gas but the fan was working) but then pretty much immediately went down to 12.3v during the test.

As soon as I plugged the EHU back in the leisure battery was pretty much immediately reading 13.9v which is what it's reading now.

Thanks

Rob

• 1 month later...
aandncaravan - 2019-01-29 7:43 PM

Robdav, 'our' Martin is developing a universal power supply for charging eBike batteries but it could easily power any other device, like a laptop.

They are very efficient because the cut the usual 'Dual supplies' to just one.

To use an Inverter on a eBike charger or laptop requires an Inverter to raise 12v to 230v. Then the Laptop's power supply drops the 230v to 19v, or whatever, hence the 'dual' supplies.

Because Martin's power supply runs from the 12v battery direct into the Laptop one of the inefficient supplies becomes redundent. The unit is itself more efficient than the usual Invertor.

It will depend on the existing power supplies efficiency and the efficiency of the Inverter, but typically Martin's device saves around 25% of the usual Ah from the batteries.

They can be wired to run from either the Starter battery or the habitation battery and the unit is adjustable so one unit can be used for several functions, like laptop and eBike charger..

Hi Alan

Is there any news on the universal charge for ebikes yet?

Paul

Hello, yes it has been ready and available for about a month, contact Martin via the website 'Contact Us' page.

Martin built it for his own eBikes but is now had enquiries from manufacturers, eBike hirers, etc.

It is a universal device, works for any type of eBike battery, regardless of the technology of the battery. and obviously Laptops.

Martin will give all the details if you contact him - http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/contact-us.php

robdav - 2019-02-04 11:25 AM

So my question now is, does this rule out the socket with the Adapt-It 5 socket combination and indicate the leisure battery is weak or could it be the cabling from the battery to the 12v socket not being up to the job?

It’s possible that there’s a battery issue or it could be a significant voltage drop between the batteries and the cigarette lighter socket which doesn’t reveal itself whilst on EHU because the voltage is kept higher than whilst on batteries alone.

How old is the battery and what type of battery is installed?

If you don’t have a multi-meter I suggest that you charge up your battery, then test the adapter but with no other load (ie heating, fridge, lights off). Then leave it a few hours and test it again. If it works ok in both instances then increase the load by turning on the heating and see what happens.

If you do have a multi-meter I suggest that you also check the voltage at the cigarette lighter socket and at the battery terminals to check that there is no significant voltage drop which would imply a connectivity issue.

My guess would be an exhausted battery as both the heating and the laptop charger were affected by the power drop. If it was a socket issue only the laptop would be affected.

The load needed at the 12v Power Socket to cause that size voltage drop on a good battery would need to be so big it would induce major fireworks at the socket/wiring.

Once EHU is connected the mains charger will supply all the power required, the battery won't get involved at all, hence the problem 'going away'.

You did write at the start of the post - " I need help to size the new second leisure battery and possibly replace the existing one at the same time".

so I am guessing you already had doubts about the battery?.

Maybe swap the Starter battery into the habitation area battery position and see what happens?

Modified square wave inverters are noisy, waste power as heat and may damage sensitive electronic equipment such as laptops.

Pure sine wave inverters are much better, they run cooler and will NOT cause your laptop etc power supply to overheat or semiconductors to be destroyed by dirty, harmonic rich and spikey crude square waveforms.

Pure sine wave inverters cost more and that is because they are more complicated.

It gets very complicated but suffice to say Cheap is nasty More expensive is much better.

H

aandncaravan - 2019-03-23 11:24 AM

Hello, yes it has been ready and available for about a month, contact Martin via the website 'Contact Us' page.

Martin built it for his own eBikes but is now had enquiries from manufacturers, eBike hirers, etc.

It is a universal device, works for any type of eBike battery, regardless of the technology of the battery. and obviously Laptops.

Martin will give all the details if you contact him I

I have just sent Martin a message

Thanks Paul

Archived