LHD headlight deflectors

Barcobird

What are the MTPLM and individual axle limits on your Pilote VIN plate?

These should be lines 1, 3 and 4 respectively (line 2 is GTW including trailer).

This is the only way to say if you are within your plated limits.

Keith.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keithl - 2019-04-09 7:51 PM

These should be lines 1, 3 and 4 respectively (line 2 is GTW including trailer).

Keith.

Plate doesn’t tell me much at all !

629DCA2C-521C-466C-93F2-05C7641EF3F3.jpeg.97cefcb7f25592501affb71fdb90f3ac.jpeg

Barcobird - 2019-04-10 1:45 PM

Keith.

It might not to you but here is the translation:

4,500 kg is MTPLM

6,000 is GTW (ie Incl trailer)

2,100 is Front Axle limit

2,500 is Rear Axle limit

So, from your earlier posted weights, you are absolutely on the limit of your MTPLM at 4,500 kg BUT and it is a very big BUT , you are seriously overweight on your rear axle at 2,880 kg!

You MUST reduce your rear axle loading to at or below 2,500 kg before you can legally use your MH.

You are 15% overloaded on your Rear Axle which is a very serious legal offence.

Please DO NOT USE your MH in this condition until you have rectified the serious overloading.

Or you could ask the likes of SV Tech if the rear axle loading can be increased above your existing 2,500 kg limit.

Keith.

629DCA2C-521C-466C-93F2-05C7641EF3F3.jpg.5eb3fbc492f3c048d6e605b74e4448f7.jpg

Keithl - 2019-04-10 1:56 PM

Keith.

4,500 kg is MTPLM

2,500 is Rear Axle limit

So, from your earlier posted weights, you are absolutely on the limit of your MTPLM at 4,500 kg BUT and it is a very big BUT , you are seriously overweight on your rear axle at 2,880 kg!

You MUST reduce your rear axle loading to at or below 2,500 kg before you can legally use your MH.

Please DO NOT USE your MH in this condition until you have rectified the serious overloading.

Or you could ask the likes of SV Tech if the rear axle loading can be increased above your existing 2,500 kg limit.

Keith.

Agreed, as I was just about to post until Keith got in first! :-)

Also, remember two things.

1 The chassis & suspension are both AlKo products, so AlKo should be consulted before any non authorised alterations are made.

2 The load on the rear axle almost certainly also exceeds the safe working limit for the tyres. You need to get 380kg off the rear axle load, and that is well over a quarter of a tonne!.

Whatever, it explains the grounding problem!

It would be instructive if you were to take the van back unloaded (so that it should then be street-legal both ends and overall), and get the corresponding weights in that condition. If you do this (which means taking everything out - water, gas, occupants, garage contents, food, clothes, camping gear etc. but with fuel tank full), you will have a baseline from which to start and, as you already know how the weight distributes in fully laden state, you will be able to see where the added weight has gone.

Brian Kirby - 2019-04-10 2:48 PM

Keithl - 2019-04-10 1:56 PM

Keith.

4,500 kg is MTPLM

2,500 is Rear Axle limit

Keith.

Agreed, as I was just about to post until Keith got in first! :-)

Also, remember two things.

1 The chassis & suspension are both AlKo products, so AlKo should be consulted before any non authorised alterations are made.

2 The load on the rear axle almost certainly also exceeds the safe working limit for the tyres. You need to get 380kg off the rear axle load, and that is well over a quarter of a tonne!.

Whatever, it explains the grounding problem!

It would be instructive if you were to take the van back unloaded (so that it should then be street-legal both ends and overall), and get the corresponding weights in that condition. If you do this (which means taking everything out - water, gas, occupants, garage contents, food, clothes, camping gear etc. but with fuel tank full), you will have a baseline from which to start and, as you already know how the weight distributes in fully laden state, you will be able to see where the added weight has gone.

None of this makes any sense to me, I went to the dealer explained what I wanted/needed and he suggested the heavier chassis which would give me about 1100 kgs carrying capacity. They then had the scooter rack fitted and at that point I suggested having it weighed and he said no need you have plenty of surplus. I loaded the scooter 130 kgs and other bits and bobs but not much, so I can’t see why it would be over by so much. If I take the scooter and the rack off about 200kgs, I would still be overweight! Obviously there is a major problem here somewhere.

Barcobird - 2019-04-10 3:32 PM

None of this makes any sense to me, I went to the dealer explained what I wanted/needed and he suggested the heavier chassis which would give me about 1100 kgs carrying capacity. They then had the scooter rack fitted and at that point I suggested having it weighed and he said no need you have plenty of surplus. I loaded the scooter 130 kgs and other bits and bobs but not much, so I can’t see why it would be over by so much. If I take the scooter and the rack off about 200kgs, I would still be overweight! Obviously there is a major problem here somewhere.

Overall you are just within the MTPLM (4,500 kg) which is probably all the dealer considered.

The BIG problem is your rear axle is seriously overloaded. Removing the scooter and rack may just get you back to a legal condition. As the weight is so far behind the rear axle removing it would transfer some weight back to the front axle (think of standing on the rear bumper of a car and the front of the car would rise up). Another trip to the weighbridge would be the only way to confirm.

Have you spoken to the dealer about your situation? If not I feel you should immediately and ask them how they propose to remedy the situation as they seem to have assured you it would be legal.

Keith.

Keithl - 2019-04-10 5:08 PM

Overall you are just within the MTPLM (4,500 kg) which is probably all the dealer considered.

The BIG problem is your rear axle is seriously overloaded. Removing the scooter and rack may just get you back to a legal condition. As the weight is so far behind the rear axle removing it would transfer some weight back to the front axle (think of standing on the rear bumper of a car and the front of the car would rise up). Another trip to the weighbridge would be the only way to confirm.

Have you spoken to the dealer about your situation? If not I feel you should immediately and ask them how they propose to remedy the situation as they seem to have assured you it would be legal.

Keith.

I have sent the dealer an email and awaiting their response. It was the dealer that organised the fitting of the rack and they new a scooter was going on it but still assured me it wasn’t a problem!

Barcobird - 2019-04-10 3:32 PM...……………….None of this makes any sense to me, I went to the dealer explained what I wanted/needed and he suggested the heavier chassis which would give me about 1100 kgs carrying capacity. They then had the scooter rack fitted and at that point I suggested having it weighed and he said no need you have plenty of surplus. I loaded the scooter 130 kgs and other bits and bobs but not much, so I can’t see why it would be over by so much. If I take the scooter and the rack off about 200kgs, I would still be overweight! Obviously there is a major problem here somewhere.

All understood. The problem, I strongly suspect, is the amount by which the scooter plus rack sits behind the rear axle, relative to the distance between the two axles. Motorhomes are a bit like see-saws, with the rear axle acting as the fulcrum.

Due to leverage, the impact on the rear axle will inevitably be greater than the 200kg self-weight of the two items, with the difference between the load imposed on the rear axle and 200kg deducting from the load on the front axle.

If you can post the wheelbase of your van, and the distance from the centre of the rear axle to (as nearly as you can judge) the centre of gravity of the scooter when loaded onto the rack, (all metric) I have a little spread sheet that will tell us how leverage amplifies the rear axle load. :-D

Barcobird - 2019-04-10 5:12 PM

Keithl - 2019-04-10 5:08 PM

Keith.

I have sent the dealer an email and awaiting their response. It was the dealer that organised the fitting of the rack and they new a scooter was going on it but still assured me it wasn’t a problem!

Well, it might be OK with just the scooter plus rack on board, but the dealer won't have known (though I would say he might/could/should have guessed that large garage was going to carry other items) what other loads you would actually carry. He may have been playing dumb, but I suspect the true answer was ignorance. However, he should have known better than to fit a Joe Bloggs scooter rack to an AlKo chassis, and he should definitely have consulted Pilote before doing so. Also, the rack should have been Type Approved by AlKo for fitment.

Brian Kirby - 2019-04-10 5:17 PM

Barcobird - 2019-04-10 3:32 PM...……………….None of this makes any sense to me, I went to the dealer explained what I wanted/needed and he suggested the heavier chassis which would give me about 1100 kgs carrying capacity. They then had the scooter rack fitted and at that point I suggested having it weighed and he said no need you have plenty of surplus. I loaded the scooter 130 kgs and other bits and bobs but not much, so I can’t see why it would be over by so much. If I take the scooter and the rack off about 200kgs, I would still be overweight! Obviously there is a major problem here somewhere.

All understood. The problem, I strongly suspect, is the amount by which the scooter plus rack sits behind the rear axle, relative to the distance between the two axles. Motorhomes are a bit like see-saws, with the rear axle acting as the fulcrum.

Due to leverage, the impact on the rear axle will inevitably be greater than the 200kg self-weight of the two items, with the difference between the load imposed on the rear axle and 200kg deducting from the load on the front axle.

If you can post the wheelbase of your van, and the distance from the centre of the rear axle to (as nearly as you can judge) the centre of gravity of the scooter when loaded onto the rack, (all metric) I have a little spread sheet that will tell us how leverage amplifies the rear axle load. :-D

The wheelbase is 4035 and scooter from centre of rear axle is 3003.

OK, using SV Tech's calculator and the following figures:

Wheelbase 4.035 m

Rear Overhang 2.503 m (Estimated)

Distance of load from front axle 7.038 m

Length of load 0.5 m (Estimated)

Front axle without scooter/rack 1,775 kg (Estimated)

Rear axle without scooter/rack 2,525 kg (Estimated)

Total without scooter/rack 4.300 kg (Estimated)

Scooter plus rack 200 kg (Estimated)

Total with scooter/rack 4,500 kg (AS WEIGHBRIDGE)

Results are then:

Front axle WITH scooter.rack 1,614 kg

Rear axle WITH scooter.rack 2,886 kg (AS WEIGHBRIDGE)

So as I said earlier, without the scooter and rack you are right on the rear axle limit of 2,500 kg!

You need to remove the scooter and rack and re-visit the weighbridge to see if the MH is legal without.

I hope this makes sense.

Keith.

Keithl - 2019-04-10 6:09 PM

Wheelbase 4.035 m

Results are then:

So as I said earlier, without the scooter and rack you are right on the rear axle limit of 2,500 kg!

You need to remove the scooter and rack and re-visit the weighbridge to see if the MH is legal without.

I hope this makes sense.

Keith.

Thanks Keith, I appreciate you taking the time to work this out. Would it be possible to use these figures but remove the rack 70kg and place the scooter in the garage which from rear axle to centre of scooter would be 1850mm thus creating less of a pendulum effect.

Barcobird - 2019-04-11 12:45 PM

Thanks Keith, I appreciate you taking the time to work this out. Would it be possible to use these figures but remove the rack 70kg and place the scooter in the garage which from rear axle to centre of scooter would be 1850mm thus creating less of a pendulum effect.

OK So from my estimated axle loads without scooter and rack above, then using a distance from the front axle of 5.885 m and a weight of 130 kg gives the following:

Front axle 1,707 kg OK

Rear axle 2,723 Weight Exceeded!

GVW (MTPLM) 4,430 kg Check Weight!

So it seems you would still be overloading the rear axle but now only by 9%

To save me going back through your posts did you have a full tank of water? If so what does the MH manufacturer recommend for travelling? A lot now only allow 20 litre (20 kg) in their figures!

Keith.

Keithl - 2019-04-11 1:53 PM

OK So from my estimated axle loads without scooter and rack above, then using a distance from the front axle of 5.885 m and a weight of 130 kg gives the following:

Front axle 1,707 kg OK

Rear axle 2,723 Weight Exceeded!

GVW (MTPLM) 4,430 kg Check Weight!

So it seems you would still be overloading the rear axle but now only by 9%

To save me going back through your posts did you have a full tank of water? If so what does the MH manufacturer recommend for travelling? A lot now only allow 20 litre (20 kg) in their figures!

Keith.

Thank you again! The tank holds 120 litres which was full when weighed. The tank looks as though it’s on or slightly behind the axle.

To be honest Pilote don’t seem to give much information out about anything but we do a lot of wild camping and generally like to keep topped up with water.

I might be able to store the spare elsewhere that’s probably around 50kg.

I have sent Derek a pm I will send it to you as well

Keithl - 2019-04-10 6:09 PM

Wheelbase 4.035 m

Results are then:

I hope this makes sense.

Keith.

To illustrate how the scooter plus rack affect the front and rear axle loads (so disregarding all other loads).

Assumptions:

the rack weighs 30kg, with its centre of gravity 2,250mm behind the rear axle, and

the scooter weighs 170kg, with its centre of gravity 3,003mm behind the rear axle.

Wheelbase 4,035mm.

The total added load is 200kg. (130 + 70 = 200)

The resulting load at the rear axle is 336kg.

The resulting load at the front axle is -136kg. (336 - 136 = 200).

So, as Keith has already demonstrated, removing both scooter and rack would reduce the rear axle overload from its present (2,880 - 2500) 380kg, to (380 - 336) 44kg.

Were you to then place the scooter in the garage, at an assumed 2,100mm behind the rear axle:

Total added load is 130kg.

The resulting load at the rear axle is 198kg.

The resulting load at the front axle is -68kg. (198 - 68 = 130).

You reduce the present rear axle overload of 380kg to (380 - 198) 182kg. In th process, you reduce your actual laden weight from the existing 4,500kg to 4,430kg.

One thing that worries me about this load configuration is the amount of load being taken off the front axle. I would imagine, based on experience with a van that had a longish rear overhang plus garage, is that the steering would be light, directional stability relatively poor (sensitive to tramlining), sensitivity to crosswinds relatively high, and traction on wet, uphill, starts, prone to wheelspin. Do you experience all/any of these?

I'm reluctantly groping my way to the conclusion that your pattern of use is incompatible with this van (in fact, that the van, as sold to you, is arguably not fit for purpose). That, of course, is just my opinion. It seems it would probably work OK minus the scooter, but that is a huge rear overhang, on a relatively long van with a relatively short wheelbase. It will always, IMO, need great care in how it is loaded. Whether that is "liveable with", I'm afraid, only you can decide. Sadly, also, if it isn't.

I think the dealer has much to answer for in advising that it would be feasible to fit the rack, but whether that could be to your advantage if you wanted to pursue changing it for something better suited to carrying a scooter, I have no idea. Sorry!

Barcobird,

It appears from your comments and postings that the dealer is ONLY discussing overall weight and is taking no account of individual axle weights. Has the dealer EVER mentioned individual axle weights? I somehow doubt it!

Brian's calculations and comments pretty much confirm my thoughts. This MH, as sold to you, is 'Not fit for purpose' with the scooter rack fitted!

As I previously suggested get wights from a second weighbridge then confront the dealer and specifically discuss your rear axle weight.

How easy is it to remove the scooter and rack? Can you get rear axle weights both with and without in an otherwise identical condition?

Keith.

To remove the rack is not a simple job and not one I would wish to contemplate.

I have emailed the dealer with your latest calculations and await a response.

In the meantime I will endeavour to find an alternative weighbridge but have a sinking vehicle it will produce the same results. :-(

Keithl - 2019-04-12 10:11 AM

There are two listed here as being in Redditch...

http://www.worcestershirets.gov.uk/media/439287/149-Public-Weighbridges-in-Worcestershire.pdf

The main thing is to ask for a copy of their weights and measures certificate to prove to the dealer that the weight is accurate.

Keith.

If only life was so simple *-) I am on the west coast of Portugal at the moment!

Barcobird - 2019-04-12 10:15 AM

Keithl - 2019-04-12 10:11 AM

There are two listed here as being in Redditch...

http://www.worcestershirets.gov.uk/media/439287/149-Public-Weighbridges-in-Worcestershire.pdf

The main thing is to ask for a copy of their weights and measures certificate to prove to the dealer that the weight is accurate.

Keith.

If only life was so simple *-) I am on the west coast of Portugal at the moment!

OK I now understand your predicament!

And I bet you've still got the scooter on the back! Oh Dear!!!

Can you possibly go back to the weighbridge you previously used and ask if they have a calibration certificate to verify the weights?

Keith.

Brian Kirby - 2019-04-11 7:22 PM..............................….

Assumptions:

the rack weighs 30kg, with its centre of gravity 2,250mm behind the rear axle, and

the scooter weighs 170kg, with its centre of gravity 3,003mm behind the rear axle.………………..

Apologies for quoting my own post, but I realise the above statement is wrong. The correct version is as follows:

Assumptions:

the rack weighs 70kg, with its centre of gravity 2,250mm behind the rear axle, and

the scooter weighs 130kg, with its centre of gravity 3,003mm behind the rear axle

But you'd all spotted that, hadn't you? :-D Apologies to those who I confused.

In view of you present location, my suggestion would be to leave the weighbridge fight until you get back to UK, and look to get the rear axle overload down as far as possible. First things first, rigorously drain any waste water before you travel, and second, also drain the fresh water tank. That alone, if it was full when weighed, and assuming you are correct about its location, should take 110kg off. Then see what else that is heavy can be re-accommodated forward. Putting the scooter as far forward in the garage as possible would also help a bit, and transferring anything heavy from the garage to under the front and side facing banquette seat bases, and to the under driver/passenger seats (if space available) are the obvious first moves. It is virtually impossible to move anything to a point at which it has no impact on the rear axle load, since the whole interior of the van of behind the front axle, so some of its weight will still find its way to the rear.

I think that is all you can do, plus keep your speed low on the return trip, and ensure the rear tyres are inflated to their max permissible pressures.

Brian Kirby - 2019-04-12 3:48 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-04-11 7:22 PM..............................….

Assumptions:

the scooter weighs 170kg, with its centre of gravity 3,003mm behind the rear axle.………………..

Apologies for quoting my own post, but I realise the above statement is wrong. The correct version is as follows:

Assumptions:

the rack weighs 70kg, with its centre of gravity 2,250mm behind the rear axle, and

the scooter weighs 130kg, with its centre of gravity 3,003mm behind the rear axle

But you'd all spotted that, hadn't you? :-D

Yep! But didn’t like to say as you have been extremely helpful, wish I had bought this Motorhome from YOU (lol)

Archived