Canopy length for 7m Coachbuilt

Kennyh

Hi all

I’m new on here after making a purchase of a Chausson 640.

I’ve been caravanning a lot but now moving to a Motorhome, and looking forward to adventures new and being an active participant on this forum.

Question: I’m going to get a canopy fitted to the new Chausson 640 on Ford chassis, and would welcome guidance on what size of canopy to fit. I expect it’s going to be a Fiamma F45, but not sure of length.

Any suggestions / Top Tips / Things to advoid re a canopy?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Kenny.

Kennyh - 2019-02-20 4:24 PM

Any suggestions / Top Tips / Things to avoid re a canopy?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Kenny.

Things to avoid, Yes, Getting one fitted!

We have used ours so little if we ever changed our MH I would not get one fitted again.

I would suggest using your new MH for a season and then see if you still feel you need one. Remember this is not a caravan and is intended to be used and not parked up on campsites for any length of time.

My view for what it's worth!

Keith.

Keithl - 2019-02-20 5:38 PM

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Kenny.

We have used ours so little if we ever changed our MH I would not get one fitted again.

I would suggest using your new MH for a season and then see if you still feel you need one. Remember this is not a caravan and is intended to be used and not parked up on campsites for any length of time.

Keith.

Tend to agree with Keith.

AND check the weight of these things. We had a 3.25m one on last van and took it off. Reckon it weighed about 25kgs and we very rarely used it

if you've got the payload and think you might use it, get one....they're great in the south of France to keep the heat off...

just measure the space you think you have and work from there.

do you want it to also serve as a rain shelter? then do you want it to cover the doorway and the garage?

just measure up what you need.

I have to agree with the first reply - I bought my first motorhome 3 years ago ( also a Chausson) I fitted a canopy - I hardly ever use it - I would wait for one season before fitting one .

I have just ordered a new motorhome and I am not fitting a canopy .

As you can see, you have raised a Marmite topic ! I have no opinion other than to write;

Talk to the installer because the fittings inside the motor home are quite large and obvious if not hidden in cupboards.

Likewise make sure that the front of the awning fitting is not in a position where it can collect foliage from the edge of the road. Some country roads can have a steep cambers, and if you pull over to allow traffic to pass, there is a chance you collect shrubbery as the motor home leans towards the kerb, curb.

Rgds

Agree with the earlier responses; I doubt I would get one fitted again. They are not the most robust pieces of kit and we have had to replace bits and pieces. Good advice to wait and see.

For what it's worth , we have had both Fiamma and Thule, and would choose Thule if fitting again.

Colleague of mine had an awning rail fitted to motorhome instead, and just bought a simple canopy. He swears it's simple, cheaper and much more reliable, and takes just 5 mins to put up. You just carry the weight in the garage rather than on the side of the van.

Hope this helps,

Regards

While I am also in the "don't bother" camp, it may be worth asking the advice of your Chausson dealer. I recall something our dealer said about them getting flack for not fitting awnings as long as some customers wanted, but that the reason was to do with the strengthening points Chausson build in to the van sidewalls being optimised for a particular length canopy. When third party installers fitted longer than recommended awnings, the brackets missed the stengthened areas giving a weaker installation.

Our first van came with one fitted & it only got used a couple of times. The sun always seemd to be in the wrong position to get shade & I was pretty paranoid about leaving it out in case it got windy - paranoia reinforced by seeing an awning assembly complete with large chunks of van wall left on a site in Austria !

Have you got the payload for an awning ? While we all have different priorities for "extras", payload isn't unlimited. My Welcome 610 (only extras a towbar & solar panel) is right on the 3500 kg limit without an awning fitted with the two of us & no pets. That is with around half a tank of water - I would like to carry a full tank, but don't have the payload to do so - so I definately don't have the extra 35-40kg spare to carry an awning as well. My 610 is on a Fiat chassis & as I recall the Ford vans are 70 or so kg heavier than the Fiat - a weighbridge vist before committing to an awning might be wise to find out how much payload you have to play with.

Nigel B

I am in the 'its an essential bit of kit' camp, We use ours all the time, mainly as a rain cover over the sliding door, and somewhere to feed and dry off the dog before letting her into the van. Adds about 5 minutes to 'pack up and away time' We always use tie down straps, seen too many get damaged by not tying down.

Oh yes they are good for shading from the sun too. Worth every penny IMHO.

We have a 4m one on our 7m van, it's invaluable in rain and when very sunny. If you position your van right you can get shade all day and keep your fridge vent in the shade.

My only advice is don't leave it out on a windy day and get a strapon....... it. ;-)

Hope this helps.

Wasn't Me - 2019-02-21 10:04 AM

We have a 4m one on our 7m van, it's invaluable in rain and when very sunny. If you position your van right you can get shade all day and keep your fridge vent in the shade.

My only advice is don't leave it out on a windy day and get a strapon....... it. ;-)

Hope this helps.

are you sure about the strapon

The chausson 640 is 6.99x2.35x 2.92 in dimensions Saw a picture of it whit fiamma f45. It passes just above the exterior light and entrance door in LHD version. Looks nice but high. The location of the brackets should flwg chausson and fiamma instructions. Do not over-stress when used. When the sikaflex start cracking. That is a matter of experience Buy also the fiamma rafters as an option. The picture is on pin interest.

pagey - 2019-02-21 10:07 AM

Wasn't Me - 2019-02-21 10:04 AM

Hope this helps.

are you sure about the strapon

Most definitely I always travel with 2. ;-)

Thanks all for the replies.

I must say I am a little confused as to whether I should get one or not now.

I intend to make use of it in Scotland (our home base) and France (for a trip once or twice a year for the next few years then for a lot more post retirement).

I suppose I could try this season with out it and then add on next year if so inclined.

I also am considering a drive away awning / tent and thus the thought of having the canopy to at least attached the awning to. But I see they are some workarounds such as magnetic or suction connectors to connect around the door if I don’t have a “C” channel to connect to.

Decisions, decisions!

Keithl - 2019-02-20 5:38 PM

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Kenny.

Keith.

Agreed, waste of money and payload.

Hi Kenny & a warm welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for sensible experienced views on topics such as you have raised. In this part of the world an awning is considered essential on either a caravan or a motorhome, as the sun can be very hot. There are a few warnings most of which have been addressed already. Our AT came with a  factory fitted Thule Omnistor to which we have fitted a middle rafter and an antiflap clamp on each end. In addition we tie down both corners with two pegged ropes. The has proved to take care of the 20klm/hour breezes we consider normal along the east coast. It will also cope with the odd gust up to around 35klm/hour. We do check regularly check the wind forecast and close down if the wind is going to be heavy. Today there is a cyclonic depression about 600klms north of where we are camped so the awning is definitely wound in. This might sound like a long drawn out process but it happens with the minimum of fuss. Summers in the south of France can be quite hot so you may appreciate an awning during you time there. If in your position I would only consider what Chausson recommends and I would wait to see if you need one for your particular travels. Cheers,

Kenny Hi

Definitely "get one" camp for me. Wouldn't be without it!

Never leave it up overnight, just in case that wind does blow up and always strap it down.

I guess it depends what sort of motorhomer you are?

It seems to me that if you use aires or wildcamp then they are not much use but if like us you use campsites (ACSI, Municipals etc) then you can use them to their full benefit.

Nothing better than sitting outside under the awning with a BBB (Beer, BBQ, Book!) in the shade relaxing!

Jeremy

I have mixed feelings about having an awning. When the sun is out and hot and the van is pointing in the right direction it keeps the heat off the side of the van. It provides shade from the sun for sitting under but it is usually limited to close to the van and we often clip on a blanket hanging down to provide more shade. Having the awning out somehow makes the van look better as it adds a camping feel and makes the van look less like a converted builders van. I am paranoid about leaving the awning out and it getting caught by the wind so will always wind it in at night or if we are out for the day. I don’t leave it out in rain as a rain cover for the same reason. I once saw an awning get caught by the wind and ripped off and peeled the room back! On balance I would prefer to have one than not even if it is useful on limited occasions.

Archived