Revoke Article 50 debate

Bulletguy

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-04-05 2:22 PM

Here's one for Curtainmuncher to read, its from his favourite news rag the Express and actually explains how WTO trade would work in between the adverts, of course they nicked it from a EU website

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1109728/brexit-news-what-would-WTO-brexit-look-like-facts

When have I ever said I have a problem with tariffs? 8-) ........

I actually think tariffs would be a win win for UKPLC as our coffers will be continually topped up by mugs like you & Brian who like to buy Kraut Krap >:-) .............

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pelmetman - 2019-04-05 2:30 PM

Here's one for Curtainmuncher to read, its from his favourite news rag the Express and actually explains how WTO trade would work in between the adverts, of course they nicked it from a EU website

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1109728/brexit-news-what-would-WTO-brexit-look-like-facts

I actually think tariffs would be a win win for UKPLC as our coffers will be continually topped up by mugs like you & Brian who like to buy Kraut Krap >:-) .............

Nurse, nurse

Do you know what the tariff would be on British Lamb into Europe Dave? over 40%. Did you also know that nearly half of our lamb (well at least here) goes to Europe? Do you also know that most dales hill farmers are tenant farmers that barely scratch a living? WTO would also see a flood of Lamb imports from abroad at lower or zero tariffs. You dont have to be a genius to work out what that will mean for our sheep farmers. Out of business.

Violet, I would think almost everyone who voted had little idea of any consequences or even how it would be done. Certainly the politicians seem to be clueless as well. It’s only as these last years have passed that the different areas of difficulty have come to the surface. Sir Ivan Rodgers said it would take 10 years to unpick it. However that’s not to say it’s the wrong path.

Violet1956 - 2019-04-05 1:34 PM.....................I am beginning to wonder whether you read the whole article or just decided that it wasn’t worth doing so because you suspected it would conflict with your opinion. If you read it carefully you would have appreciated that it provides some ammunition to those who oppose a further referendum.

He may be a speed reader, Veronica, but 17 minutes (the time difference between your, and Dave's posts) to read, inwardly digest, and respond, suggests you may well be right. :-)

Fascinating article, BTW. I particularly appreciated "Accordingly, each individual voter has little incentive to be informed. They can afford to be ignorant, to be misinformed, or to indulge grossly irrational beliefs. For most of them, the cost of being informed outweighs the potential benefits." For some reason, that rings particularly true to me.

BTW Dave, it is highly unlikely Jason Brennan is a remainer, as he is professor of strategy, economics, ethics, and public policy at Georgetown University, Washington DC. So, he won't have voted in the referendum, so is hardly a remoaner expert.

One thing that emerged from the referendum results is that people in socio-economic classes A, B and C1 (53% of the electorate) mostly voted remain, while those in classes C2, D and E (47% of the electorate) mostly voted leave - but by a larger margin (53% to 63%). Seems to back up Brennan's points about how voters arrive at their voting decisions - though socially a bit inflammatory!! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-04-05 4:07 PM

Do you know what the tariff would be on British Lamb into Europe Dave? over 40%. Did you also know that nearly half of our lamb (well at least here) goes to Europe? Do you also know that most dales hill farmers are tenant farmers that barely scratch a living? WTO would also see a flood of Lamb imports from abroad at lower or zero tariffs. You dont have to be a genius to work out what that will mean for our sheep farmers. Out of business.

We're just about self sufficient in Lamb ;-) ..........

So it would make sense for some of those billions we'll no longer be sending to the EU be used to support the smaller farmer rather than the big multi national farms *-) .......

Which is something we cant do whilst in the EU >:-) .........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-04-05 6:06 PM

One thing that emerged from the referendum results is that people in socio-economic classes A, B and C1 (53% of the electorate) mostly voted remain, while those in classes C2, D and E (47% of the electorate) mostly voted leave - but by a larger margin (53% to 63%). Seems to back up Brennan's points about how voters arrive at their voting decisions - though socially a bit inflammatory!! :-D

Keep it up Brian ;-) .........Your Remoaner snobbery is doing wonders for us Brexiteers B-) .......

pelmetman - 2019-04-05 9:18 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-04-05 6:06 PM

Keep it up Brian ;-) .........Your Remoaner snobbery is doing wonders for us Brexiteers B-) .......

Not quite sure how quoting inconvenient truths makes me a snob, Dave. Quoting biased or inaccurate information against part of society undoubtedly would, but where is the above inaccurate. Facts are neutral. Check them for yourself, if you wish. I'm just an 'umble seeker after truth. :-)

Brian Kirby - 2019-04-06 11:40 AM

Not quite sure how quoting inconvenient truths makes me a snob, Dave.

You should be pleased Dave could only come up with giving you a label Brian - it's something he does when he has problems arguing his case.

;-)

pelmetman - 2019-04-05 9:15 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-04-05 4:07 PM

We're just about self sufficient in Lamb ;-) ..........

So it would make sense for some of those billions we'll no longer be sending to the EU be used to support the smaller farmer rather than the big multi national farms *-) .......

Which is something we cant do whilst in the EU >:-) .........

Still depending on that elusive Brexit dividend Dave? (lol) I can just see the Tories bailing out every single sector that falls thanks to this deliberate act of self harm. They have such a great reputation of doing that. Will they be propping up the Automotive sector and whats left of manufacturing as well? No they wont because their economists have already told them that the loss of these sectors is inevitable and an acceptable cost of Brexit. They suggested they could all become Marketing people or Graphic designers instead. (lol) I would love to see them say that face to face to some of the hill farmers from upper Teesdale.

Professor Brennan’s article certain got me thinking about the much-vaunted term “democracy”. For my part it remains another inconvenient truth that the world is run by elites regardless of how we would wish things to be otherwise and despite widespread enfranchisement. These elites manipulate the democratic process in their favour. In places like Zimbabwe, Zanu-PF thugs and electoral fraud are the most visible manner in which this occurs whereas groups like the ERG are far more sophisticated in their approach.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2019-04-06 1:47 PM

Professor Brennan’s article certain got me thinking about the much-vaunted term “democracy”. For my part it remains another inconvenient truth that the world is run by elites regardless of how we would wish things to be otherwise and despite widespread enfranchisement. These elites manipulate the democratic process in their favour. In places like Zimbabwe, Zanu-PF thugs and electoral fraud are the most visible manner in which this occurs whereas groups like the ERG are far more sophisticated in their approach.

What you really mean is that your trying to spread the myth that us Brexit voters were coerced by elites *-) .........

Can you not accept that.......

We don't want to be ruled by the EU?.........

We dont want to be a EU meal ticket?........

We dont want cheap labor?........

We dont want EU criminals to have free access? *-) .........

We just want to be nice neighbours B-) .........

Violet1956 - 2019-04-04 11:45 PM

I didn't watch the debate on 1.4.2019 but for those who haven't seen it and are interested here is the link to Hansard on what was said.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2019-04-01/debates/DAEA92D0-DB85-4370-B65C-2BB2FF6B5AE9/LeavingTheEuropeanUnion

I particularly like the quote from Edmund Burke used by Catherine McKinnell

“Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgement; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.”

Top bloke and that says it all for me about the brave position taken by Dominic Grieve

Goodnight all

Thanks for the link Veronica. Very interesting. Oddest of all, was the way the Tories flounced out in a huff about half way through, seemingly because they weren't allowed to keep intervening. How was that a constructive contribution? Quite a performance by Catherine McKinnell as well. Very well briefed, with very sensible replies to interventions as well.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-04-06 2:54 PM

I didn't watch the debate on 1.4.2019 but for those who haven't seen it and are interested here is the link to Hansard on what was said.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2019-04-01/debates/DAEA92D0-DB85-4370-B65C-2BB2FF6B5AE9/LeavingTheEuropeanUnion

“Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgement; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.”

Top bloke and that says it all for me about the brave position taken by Dominic Grieve

Goodnight all

Thanks for the link Veronica. Very interesting. Oddest of all, was the way the Tories flounced out in a huff about half way through, seemingly because they weren't allowed to keep intervening. How was that a constructive contribution? Quite a performance by Catherine McKinnell as well. Very well briefed, with very sensible replies to interventions as well.

Give Us a break Brian!!!! 8-) ........

You Remoaners have been flouncing since the 24th of June 2016 (lol) (lol) (lol) .......

I haven’t said that all Brexiters were “coerced” by elites Dave but I don’t accept that it is at all unlikely that some of them were persuaded to vote leave based on spurious grounds.

You don’t speak for all Brexiters nor do you know all the reasons why everyone who voted to leave chose to do so, just as I don’t know what all Remainers thought. I’ve already told you about my hairdresser, she did what her dad told her to do. There may have been remain voters who did the same.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2019-04-06 3:16 PM

I haven’t said that all Brexiters were “coerced” by elites Dave but I don’t accept that it is at all unlikely that some of them were persuaded to vote leave based on spurious grounds.

You don’t speak for all Brexiters nor do you know all the reasons why everyone who voted to leave chose to do so, just as I don’t know what all Remainers thought. I’ve already told you about my hairdresser, she did what her dad told her to do. There may have been remain voters who did the same.

Yet you have convinced yourself more of us Brexit voters were persuaded? *-) .......

Your just another Barry :D .......unable to accept reality (lol) ......

pelmetman - 2019-04-06 2:58 PM

Goodnight all

You Remoaners have been flouncing since the 24th of June 2016 (lol) (lol) (lol) .......

Well, I'm still here. Who had you in mind who has flounced out? But even so, senior Conservative politicians flouncing out of a parliamentary debate because they weren't allowed to talk it out? Conservative snowflakes? As they say, "if you can't take the heat...……………………….":-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-04-06 4:07 PM

Goodnight all

Well, I'm still here. Who had you in mind who has flounced out? But even so, senior Conservative politicians flouncing out of a parliamentary debate because they weren't allowed to talk it out? Conservative snowflakes? As they say, "if you can't take the heat...……………………….":-D

Given that you have the infamous Berk Cow on your side *-) .......I can see why they walked :-| .......

Goodnight all

Daves comment about flouncing is hilarious Brian. Never mind politicians but Brexiteers on social media have done more flounces than I have had hot dinners. Its their favourite pastime. They lose the argument, get really angry, throw some abuse and flounce only to appear somewhere else moaning about how the nasty remoaners upset them. (lol) Snowflakes!

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-04-06 5:09 PM

Goodnight all

Daves comment about flouncing is hilarious Brian. Never mind politicians but Brexiteers on social media have done more flounces than I have had hot dinners. Its their favourite pastime. They lose the argument, get really angry, throw some abuse and flounce only to appear somewhere else moaning about how the nasty remoaners upset them. (lol) Snowflakes!

POT..... KETTLE..... BLACK *-) ........

Goodnight all

That would make me a snowflake then Barry? I flounced off Motorhomefacts when a remainer demanded British Troops should be sent back to Northern Ireland to keep the peace on the Border and keep his relatives safe in bed at night. >:-(

Yeah, what's another 700 young soldiers killed to keep religious bigots apart. I suspect his attitude is normal for the Protestant bigots. Well, it's much easier than learning to live with your Catholic neighbours.

pelmetman - 2019-04-06 5:18 PM

Goodnight all

I think not. Show me an example where I have flounced anywhere on the internet, or lost the argument for that matter (lol) throw personal abuse or got angry. Piss takes do not count especially on here. I just find myself pissing myself laughing about it all now which actually is a bit odd but there you go. The only reason I am still fighting for remain is because I dont want to see areas of the country I love or the people that live their suffer. I couldnt give a toss about myself to be honest.

747 - 2019-04-06 7:11 PM

Goodnight all

That would make me a snowflake then Barry? I flounced off Motorhomefacts when a remainer demanded British Troops should be sent back to Northern Ireland to keep the peace on the Border and keep his relatives safe in bed at night. >:-(

Yeah, what's another 700 young soldiers killed to keep religious bigots apart. I suspect his attitude is normal for the Protestant bigots. Well, it's much easier than learning to live with your Catholic neighbours.

My post was not directed at you specifically but lets face it you like a good flounce. (lol) Which is a shame as for a Brexiteer your quite knowledgeable and I enjoy your contributions on the various forums. :D

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-04-06 7:22 PM

Goodnight all

I think not. Show me an example where I have flounced anywhere on the internet, or lost the argument for that matter (lol) throw personal abuse or got angry. Piss takes do not count especially on here. I just find myself pissing myself laughing about it all now which actually is a bit odd but there you go. The only reason I am still fighting for remain is because I dont want to see areas of the country I love or the people that live their suffer. I couldnt give a toss about myself to be honest.

I was referring to vociferous Remoaners in general ;-) ...........

Considering you make up just 6 and a bit million of our population :-| ..........

You do make a lot of noise *-) .......

pelmetman - 2019-04-06 7:33 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-04-06 7:22 PM

Goodnight all

I was referring to vociferous Remoaners in general ;-) ...........

Considering you make up just 6 and a bit million of our population :-| ..........

You do make a lot of noise *-) .......

Which is 5.4 million more than your Brexit 'population' if you insist on using those figures.

Archived