Compass Avantgarde water filler

Mandy will

If the cap is just turning then it is still locked.

Insert the key and turn the key a quarter turn then remove the key, does the cap still rotate freely? If not then it is now unlocked and should turn anti-clockwise to remove, but may be very tight to turn, our's takes two hands on occasions!

Keith.

I can’t comment on your specific water cap but on my van we have to turn the key clockwise to lock the mechanism inside the cap and are then able to turn the cap anti-clockwise to remove it.

Although this seems counterintuitive there is a logic to it – ie when the locking mechanism is unlocked (key turned anticlockwise) then the cap will just spin to prevent unauthorised removal as it's not locked to the inside of the cap..

Assuming that the water filler-cap is ‘spinning’ easily (in either direction), on my Rapido inserting the key into the cap’s lock and then turning the key anti-clockwise stops the cap from spinning. Removing the cap can then be done by turning the cap anti-clockwise, though - in the Rapido’s case - a small amount of hand-strength is required as the cap needs to be pushed inwards at the same time as turning it anti-clockwise, and the cap’s shape is also not ideal to obtain a good grip on it. (As far as I’m aware this is standard procedure for this type of cap.)

There are a lot of on-line complaints about water filler-cap problems (example here)

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/49-tech-mech-chat/49597-water-filler-cap-stuck-unsure-how-works-anyway.html

Archived