Fiat Ducato rear chassis "skids/wheels"- worth installing?

Fiat Ducato rear chassis "skids/wheels"- worth installing?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just completed a pleasant 2 week drive around Eire.

Pleasant that is except for scraping the chassis ends of our Ducato on two river ferry ramps and the Stena ferry as well.

No major damage but am now wondering if chassis wheels are worth fitting (Roadpro sells them) or not.

There's no need to install an air ride as the vehicle drives perfectly well.

Has anyone installed skids or wheels at the back end of the chassis and if so do they work?

Any recommendations on installers would also be appreciated as I'm not keen to fit myself.

Ian,

Does you Matrix have an Al-Ko chassis or an extended Fiat chassis?

Whichever, I strongly suspect the extreme rear of the chassis will not have the strength to support a substantial portion of the MH's weight when grounding out. What would happen if the rear wheels lost contact with the ground for example?

If I where in your situation I would be looking at ways of preventing the rear from grounding out, whether that was by fitment of auxiliary air suspension or spring assistors. Aux air with a compressor and dash switches would be the ideal but may prove pricey!

Keith.

I have never heard of anyone regretting fitting them. I have heard of people who regret they didn't fit them...and it always seems to be a 'Ferry' problem.

Only once in many years have I heard a scrape from the back and that was boarding an Isle of Wight ferry.

On my current MH the waste tank is quite vulnerable but the overhang is very short...so no problem!

If it was a regular occurrence I would certainly fit them.

Archived