why the fuss over irish backstop?

spirou

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-09-10 11:48 AM

The Backstop just became the Frontstop.

"Phil Hogan’s appointment as EU Trade Commissioner is a very positive development for Ireland. We sought a major economic brief in the new European Commission, and I am very satisfied that we have secured it.

He will work for Europe as a whole, but it's a definite advantage to have an Irish person in charge of this crucial brief over the next 5 years. He will take the lead on the EU’s post-Brexit trade deal with the UK, as well as Mercosur & trading relations with India, US & China.

Phil did an excellent job in the Agriculture & Rural Development brief. He is widely respected in Brussels & across the EU as a skilled negotiator and someone who builds alliances. He has proven to be vociferous on Brexit, and I am sure that this will continue in his new role."

Leo Varadkar

Excellent news indeed :D ...........

He'll know exactly how dependent the Irish economy is on trading with the UK >:-) ..........

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fast Pat - 2019-09-09 9:12 AM

Geeco - 2019-09-09 8:29 AM

Brian, If the border between the two Irelands is that difficult why not use the Irish Sea as a border. Issue ID card to the NI residents and insist on passports for the Republic residents when visiting England, Scotland & Wales. Free movement for the Irish both sides of the Nth/Sth border. cheers,

You appear to have little understanding of Irish politics? What you are proposing there is a united Ireland and whilst it would please me and a lot of Republicans it would antagonize the unionists probably to the point of extreme violence. It would also be a breach of a international treaty - the Good Friday Agreement, so the unionists would have a right to object.

Not so it's just the EU being intransigent. There is free movement in Cyprus between north and south one being in the EU the other Turkey is not and yet this is accepted by the same organisation that precludes it happening in Ireland. *-)

teflon2 - 2019-09-10 6:44 PM

Brian, If the border between the two Irelands is that difficult why not use the Irish Sea as a border. Issue ID card to the NI residents and insist on passports for the Republic residents when visiting England, Scotland & Wales. Free movement for the Irish both sides of the Nth/Sth border. cheers,

You appear to have little understanding of Irish politics? What you are proposing there is a united Ireland and whilst it would please me and a lot of Republicans it would antagonize the unionists probably to the point of extreme violence. It would also be a breach of a international treaty - the Good Friday Agreement, so the unionists would have a right to object.

Not so it's just the EU being intransigent. There is free movement in Cyprus between north and south one being in the EU the other Turkey is not and yet this is accepted by the same organisation that precludes it happening in Ireland. *-)

Not the case though is it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Cyprus_and_the_European_Union

Problem solved. Bozo has mooted his idea again of sticking a bridge up from Ireland to Scotland. The risk factor is extremely high due to ww2 munitions in the sea but who cares if a few bridge builders get blown up eh? Costs in assessing and building would run into £billions but Bozo has a habit of throwing money at invisible bridges. Failing Grayling is already involved....what a team. *-)

Guest pelmetman

Exactly ;-) ........and they had a full scale war :-| .........

Just goes to prove the backstop is nothing more than a desperate attempt by the Loser Brigade to prevent Brexit *-) ...........

Fast Pat - 2019-09-10 6:53 PM

Did you actually read all of the information from your link ?

Try the paragraph heading Status in the EU.

2004 Cyprus entered the EU divided this occurred in response to the threat from Greece to block any further eastward expansion by the EU.

Despite the EU refusing to recognise the the Turkish republic of northern Cyprus it has afforded them observer status in the parliamentary assembly of the council of Europe. Twisted logic ?

Bulletguy - 2019-09-10 8:11 PM

Problem solved. Bozo has mooted his idea again of sticking a bridge up from Ireland to Scotland. The risk factor is extremely high due to ww2 munitions in the sea but who cares if a few bridge builders get blown up eh? Costs in assessing and building would run into £billions but Bozo has a habit of throwing money at invisible bridges. Failing Grayling is already involved....what a team. *-)

He'll pay for it with money saved by not building Heathrow extension, if he's not "dead in a ditch" so can't 'lie down in front of the bulldozers!" And I'm sure the different rail track gauge between mainland UK and island of Ireland won't be a problem to wonder boy!

Guest pelmetman
Conrad - 2019-09-11 7:56 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-09-10 8:11 PM

He'll pay for it with money saved by not building Heathrow extension, if he's not "dead in a ditch" so can't 'lie down in front of the bulldozers!" And I'm sure the different rail track gauge between mainland UK and island of Ireland won't be a problem to wonder boy!

Nah he'll do a Trump ;-) ............and get the Scots and NI to pay for it :D ..........

They can afford it seeing as they get so much from the English taxpayer :-> .......

pelmetman - 2019-09-12 9:06 AM

Looks like problem solved :D ............

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1176787/uk-news-irish-unification-scottish-independence-northern-ireland-split-lord-ashcroft-poll

Give NI a referendum B-) .............

The best thing about that link is that you have some malware on your PC, thankfully my AV shut the page down.

By the way - i'm being genuine here not taking the piss, get some AV and scan your hard drive.

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-09-12 11:35 AM

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1176787/uk-news-irish-unification-scottish-independence-northern-ireland-split-lord-ashcroft-poll

The best thing about that link is that you have some malware on your PC, thankfully my AV shut the page down.

By the way - i'm being genuine here not taking the piss, get some AV and scan your hard drive.

My putors fine ;-) ..........

Perhaps it only targets gullible Losers? :D ..........

pelmetman - 2019-09-12 1:04 PM

Fast Pat - 2019-09-12 11:35 AM

My putors fine ;-) ..........

Perhaps it only targets gullible Losers? :D ..........

If you say so, I'd be careful doing any internet banking and the like

So we've gone from "Brexit will improve your lives" to "don't worry, some of the Irish will die too".

Tory MP Nigel Evans tells LBC Yellowhammer is "worst case scenario on steroids". (it's not its the Baseline case as Gove had to reluctantly tell the Select Committee)

"I spoke to (Brexit Secretary) Steve Barclay and he said to me... 'two-thirds of the medicines Ireland gets come through UK. If there are shortages in the UK, there'll be shortages in Ireland'."

teflon2 - 2019-09-11 6:52 PM

2004 Cyprus entered the EU divided this occurred in response to the threat from Greece to block any further eastward expansion by the EU.

Despite the EU refusing to recognise the the Turkish republic of northern Cyprus it has afforded them observer status in the parliamentary assembly of the council of Europe. Twisted logic ?

I cannot find the above quoted paragraph anywhere in the above linked Wiki entry. Can anyone else find it? Very odd!!

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-09-13 9:13 PM

I cannot find the above quoted paragraph anywhere in the above linked Wiki entry. Can anyone else find it? Very odd!!

Not as odd as this >:-) ...........

Status in the EU

As of 2018, the EU recognises the north as being outside the control of the Greek Cypriot–led government of the Republic and hence is temporarily exempt from EU legislation. The euro also does not officially circulate in the north (although it does have widespread usage[3]) and the Schengen agreement is not in effect in Cyprus due to complications in security at the external border to the north. The free movement of goods, capital, services and people is also not in effect.[1] Turkish Cypriots are considered citizens of the European Union as the EU considers them Cypriot citizens, merely living in a part of Cyprus outside of the control of the Republic of Cyprus.[4]

Just goes to prove the backstop farce is just that.......a farce to stop us leaving the EU *-) .........

Guest pelmetman

Looks like the Remoaners claims about the GFA and Brexit is a load of TOSH >:-) ...........

“Neither the Belfast Agreement nor this suite of provisions was predicated on the basis that UK membership of the EU would continue forever. Neither of them can be construed as requiring a customs Union or continued regulatory alignment. More fundamentally, there is no sufficient evidential foundation for the incompatibility asserted. There is no suggestion that the incompatibility has already materialised”

https://order-order.com/2019/09/13/northern-irish-high-court-rules-hard-brexit-not-break-belfast-agreement/

Gloaty McGloatface time :D ..........

Brian Kirby - 2019-09-13 9:13 PM

You appear to have little understanding of Irish politics? What you are proposing there is a united Ireland and whilst it would please me and a lot of Republicans it would antagonize the unionists probably to the point of extreme violence. It would also be a breach of a international treaty - the Good Friday Agreement, so the unionists would have a right to object.[/QUOT

Brian I thought that the spacing between the comments would be enough to separate the paragraph from the the link by Pat obviously I was wrong.

Fortunately Dave has printed the status paragraph.

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-09-14 9:41 PM

Ian Paisley has an Irish passport.

Brendan"spiked" O'Neill has an Irish passport.

Piers Morgan has an Irish passport.

Sammy Wilson applied for an Irish passport.( publish proof on November 1st... GDPR)

138 in the GB parliament (2 houses) have an Irish passport.

My dog has a Spanish passport ;-) .......

So what? >:-) .........

Archived