MMM

howie

howie - 2007-05-23 6:02 PM

Chopper pulled me up on that one Mike. Am I supposed to put a comma in or what. e.g. MINE,S.

definitely not a comma ',' Howie, although it's frequently aappropriate to use an apostrophe - possessive or otherwise :-> :-> :-> :->

B-)

PS It's the one to the right of most keyboards with an @ sign above it >:-)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest caraprof

Chopper pulled me up on that one Mike. Am I supposed to put a comma in or what. e.g. MINE,S.

A comma is similar to a full stop but is just a pause. You should use apostrophes otherwise. Do not however make the common mistake of using an apostrophe when something is just plural.

The plural of cat is cats (not cat's) and the plural of country, is countries) not country's).

There are two kinds of apostrophes, substitution, where the apostrophe stands in for a missing letter or letters as in: I don't know (I do not know, with the apostrophe replacing the missing 'o' in not) or we're going to bed (we are going to bed).

A common one is people saying their or there when they mean 'they're'. They're of course means 'they are'.

The other type of apostrophe is possessive. John's car is red (the car belonging to John).

It's really easy to decide where the apostrophe goes - you simply ask "To whom does it belong."

So the childrens library is children's, because it belongs to the children, not the childrens!

It's the pupils' entrance, because it's for all the pupils but if it was a backpack for one pupil, it would be the pupil's backpack!

It's not that complicated really if you think about it. I hope that that helps a little.

Ps One thing that few people seem to know is that it's means only 'it is'. Its used in a possessive sense does not have an apostrophe, to avoid confusing it with 'it is'.

So you would write: Its fur is black but it's slightly mottled. (Its fur is black but it is slightly mottled.)

Its is the only possessive pronoun in English that does not have a possessive apostrophe.

there are more important things to worry about 'chele [see ' denotes missing Mi - gudinnit]

like - are you ready and raring to go yet,

and - where are you going

and - are you coming back

lots of existential stuff like that :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

B-)

caraprof - 2007-05-23 9:27 PM

A comma is similar to a full stop but is just a pause. You should use apostrophes otherwise. Do not however make the common mistake of using an apostrophe when something is just plural.

The plural of cat is cats (not cat's) and the plural of country, is countries) not country's).

There are two kinds of apostrophes, substitution, where the apostrophe stands in for a missing letter or letters as in: I don't know (I do not know, with the apostrophe replacing the missing 'o' in not) or we're going to bed (we are going to bed).

A common one is people saying their or there when they mean 'they're'. They're of course means 'they are'.

The other type of apostrophe is possessive. John's car is red (the car belonging to John).

It's really easy to decide where the apostrophe goes - you simply ask "To whom does it belong."

So the childrens library is children's, because it belongs to the children, not the childrens!

It's the pupils' entrance, because it's for all the pupils but if it was a backpack for one pupil, it would be the pupil's backpack!

It's not that complicated really if you think about it. I hope that that helps a little.

Ps One thing that few people seem to know is that it's means only 'it is'. Its used in a possessive sense does not have an apostrophe, to avoid confusing it with 'it is'.

So you would write: Its fur is black but it's slightly mottled. (Its fur is black but it is slightly mottled.)

Its is the only possessive pronoun in English that does not have a possessive apostrophe.

Ah, clarity at last, but i,m still not sure where to stick my commas.

Guest caraprof

Howie, stick your commas when you wish to pause in a sentence. It's as simple as that.

Take this sentence: It's great driving your car with the top down on a sunny day isn't it one of life's joys?

Now put in a comma: It's great driving your car with the top down on a sunny day, isn't it one of life's joys?

Doesn't it read better with the comma? If you say the sentence, that's where you'd pause anyway!

Guest caraprof
howie - 2007-05-23 11:10 PM

Indistutabubbley so Michele. Back to the thread and I see youv,e got another letter published in this months mmm. Who,s a blue eyed girl then, *-)

Here's two examples: It's not youv,e, but you've as the apostrophe stands in for the missing letters, which is really 'you have' so it should go where the missing letters go.

Also, it's not who,s but who's as it means 'who is a blue-eyed girl then?

And it's a question so you put a question mark at the end. You'll get there!

michele - 2007-05-23 11:16 PM

Howie ,

you're a wind up tell me what I said then without looking at an old thread 8-)

Don,t you trust me anymore.I don,t pay £36 a year subs just to keep you informed mush and If you want to check on it then buy your own copy. There is a photo of my van and the missus though and on this I kid you not. ;-)

caraprof - 2007-05-23 11:20 PM

Indistutabubbley so Michele. Back to the thread and I see youv,e got another letter published in this months mmm. Who,s a blue eyed girl then, *-)

Here's two examples: It's not youv,e, but you've as the apostrophe stands in for the missing letters, which is really 'you have' so it should go where the missing letters go.

howie - 2007-05-23 11:29 PM

caraprof - 2007-05-23 11:20 PM

Sorry about that empty posting Frank but my two brain cells are starting to feel punchdrunk. How do you get the comma at the top of the word as in you,ve and who,s. Nothing on the keyboard that I can see.

Look along your QWERTY keyboard Howard, midde row, starts with A at the left, follow to L on the right, then the colon and semi-colon key, and then the apostrophy key, with an "ampersat" @ symbol just above.  Press that key without holding "shift" down and you'll get ', which is what you're looking for!  Good, innit!  Oh, and innit doesn't require any apostrophies, because it would look daft in'nit!

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-24 12:03 AM

Look along your QWERTY keyboard Howard, midde row, starts with A at the left, follow to L on the right, then the colon and semi-colon key, and then the apostrophy key, with an "ampersat" @ symbol just above.  Press that key without holding "shift" down and you'll get ', which is what you're looking for!  Good, innit!  Oh, and innit doesn't require any apostrophies, because it would look daft in'nit!

Must be a lot of desk jockeys out there where the finer points of the English language comes as second nature, but some like myself can find it a bit of a minefield.

Help and advice is always welcome, and of course I want to improve my writing skills, but as long as we all understand each other then there,s no real problem.

Do we :D I,m having trouble keeping up so I ,m going to print this one off and digest whatyou have all said and use Franks writing when I need to write a letter.. Mush Mush Mush said the huskie....Piccy of you van ?

What about the fact that you pay £36 to keep me informed darling sweetie pie, hunny binch, NOW GO AND GET IT ;-) or i'll Mush you

howie, the MMM is a  mag for the owners of moter homes that are under say, around 5 years old & it is also full of adverts (repeated each month) do you realy want to pay that price for a mag that make's it money from ads & then have you pay for it? I know its each to there own, but i'm trying to stir a bit of chat. Myself if there was one that delt with OLDER vans, now that would be worth buying. Is there anyone on here that agrees with this statement. The Manchester Eve News is full of ads & they now give it away free in Manchester, so buyer is king.

just for howie ''''''''''''''''''''''''''   he he.

Archived