When does the base vehicle warranty start?

webpax

No it isn’t...

‘Tag axle’ is a USA term for an axle configuration that involves a DRIVEN axle plus a supplementary non-driven axle - so the Mercedes arrangement is a genuine tag-axle one.

But the 2-axle arrangement of an AL-KO chassis fitted to a Ducato is not a ‘ tag axle’ configuration as neither of the two rear axles is driven.

‘Tag-axle’ is nowadays generally used by the UK motorcaravanning community (owners, traders and motorhome journalists) for FWD motorhomes with two undriven rear axles, but this does not make the usage correct.

https://itstillruns.com/advantage-tag-axle-motor-home-8583486.html

More detail in this 2005 forum thread..

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Tag-axle-/1888/

Derek Uzzell - 2019-10-12 12:12 PM

But the 2-axle arrangement of an AL-KO chassis fitted to a Ducato is not a ‘ tag axle’ configuration as neither of the two rear axles is driven/

And then they are 'Tandem Axles' as I said!!!

I was going to add comments about driven and non-driven tandem style axles but felt this would confuse Hans even more and seen as the majority of triple axle MH's in the UK are Ducato based they are all actually Tandem Axles.

Keith.

Nice to read your comments on the rear axle. Not driven by fiat unless 4Wd. And Iveco daily. Forget the rear drive than on fiat having two axles on the rear which is only possible on fiat alko chassis.Than i go for what Keith said. For a night cap how looks the rear axle load plate. having four tyres. And about iveco daily having rear drive one axle but four tyres.

Keithl - 2019-10-12 8:17 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2019-10-12 12:12 PM

But the 2-axle arrangement of an AL-KO chassis fitted to a Ducato is not a ‘ tag axle’ configuration as neither of the two rear axles is driven/

And then they are 'Tandem Axles' as I said!!!

I was going to add comments about driven and non-driven tandem style axles but felt this would confuse Hans even more and seen as the majority of triple axle MH's in the UK are Ducato based they are all actually Tandem Axles.

Keith.

The AL-KO chassis available for rear-wheel-drive Mercedes Sprinter vehicles from around 2010 Involves independent rear suspension and a ‘live’ (ie. driven) rear axle.

When the RWD chassis had a 2nd rear axle, that axle was ‘dead’ (ie. non-driven) and could correctly be described as a ‘tag-axle’. The chassis could also be correctly described as having ‘tandem’ rear-axles - as could any chassis with two rear axles.

The AL-KO chassis now available for front-wheel-drive Mercedes Sprinter vehicles is just the traditional type with the independent rear suspension having trailing arms and torsion-bar springing. Single or tandem rear-axle versions are offered, but in both cases the rear-axle(s) is/are ‘dead’ and neither of the rear-axles of the tandem-axle version is a ‘tag-axle’.

Details are on the AL-KO website

https://www.alko-tech.com/en/news/2019/al-ko-chassis-now-also-available-mercedes-benz-sprinter-tractor-head

• 3 months later...

As I now have the answer to my own question I thought I would post it here should anyone come across this thread in future.

My Mercedes base vehicle warranty start date has been set to match the date of first UK registration as per my V5.

Archived