Old Banner Batteries - any use ?

Roryboy

I've recently replaced my two six year old Banner Energy Bull batteries with Yuasa batteries.

We usually don't use hook up when abroad and I didn't think the Banners were up to a month off grid in September/October so for safety's sake I bought some new batteries.

Now I've got back I've charged the Banners up and they read around 14v on my multi-meter.

Do you think they would be of use to anyone or should I just take they to the recycling ?

Please, no comments about your problems with Banner - I've never had a problem and I did get the Yuasa batteries at a greatly reduced price.

:-D :-D :-D

A drop test will tell you whether the batteries are still capable of delivering a high current discharge, but that's not really what leisure batteries are required to do.

What was the battery voltage 12 hours or so after being taken off charge? Unless the voltage was still 13.5 or better, they are probably well past their best and should be disposed of.

If they are still above 13.5 I think you would need to see how they sustain a simulated service discharge, so something like a 10 amps load, and see how long it takes to run the voltage down to 12 volts. (Running it lower than that would damage the battery so don't do that.)

I suspect these batteries are unlikely to be worth anything to any motorhomer, but perhaps worth testing.

Roryboy - 2019-10-25 2:38 PM

... or should I just take they to the recycling ?

NO!!!!

They are worth serious money at any metal reclaimers! Possibly a tenner each depending on weight and local scrap value.

I got £9 for an old diesel starter battery weighing 15 kg last year.

Keith.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I've just Googled scrap Lead/Acid battery values and it's around about 50p a kilo.

Each Banner weighs 24.5 kilo and if I can get that sort of figure they will be going to a Scrap merchant early next week.

Again thanks - I hadn't realised that they would fetch anything like that price.

:-D :-D :-D :-D

StuartO - 2019-10-25 3:47 PM

A drop test will tell you whether the batteries are still capable of delivering a high current discharge, but that's not really what leisure batteries are required to do.

What was the battery voltage 12 hours or so after being taken off charge? Unless the voltage was still 13.5 or better, they are probably well past their best and should be disposed of.

If they are still above 13.5 I think you would need to see how they sustain a simulated service discharge, so something like a 10 amps load, and see how long it takes to run the voltage down to 12 volts. (Running it lower than that would damage the battery so don't do that.)

I suspect these batteries are unlikely to be worth anything to any motorhomer, but perhaps worth testing.

This is true with the older type testers

Banner Energy Bull batteries are conventional ‘pure’ leisure batteries not intended to provide any engine-starting capability. So (as has been advised above) a traditional drop test would be inappropriate to confirm their condition.

On this link

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-technology.php

Allan Evans provided a chart (copy attached below) indicating that the voltage of a 100% charged conventional wet-acid battery like an Energy Bull should be expected to be around 12.6V. Consequently, if Roryboy has obtained a reading of 14V, this relates to the battery-charger’s output, or the battery has not been allowed to rest adequately, or the battery’s surface-charge has not been removed, or the multimeter is inaccurate. My 2015 Rapido has a Banner Energy Bull battery and, even when brand new, when fully charged 12.7V has been was the maximum ‘rested’ readout (and my multimeter is accurate!)

This doesn’t conflict with Roryboy’s decision to replace his pair of Energy Bull batteries (that will carry a code showing when they were made) as 6 years is a fair lifespan, particularly if the motorhome is to be used for long periods off EHU.

My Energy Bull battery carries two 5-character groups - “FBBEF” (next to the battery’s negative terminal) and “XX51A” (next to the battery’s positive terminal) and the date-code is contained within the “FBBEF” group.

The week/year date of manufacture is identified by the initial 4 letters of the group, with A=0, B=1, C=2 etc. The 1st pair of letters identifies the week and the 2nd pair of letters identifies the year.

(So FBBE equates to 5114 and indicates that my battery was made in the 51st week of 2014.)

The 5th letter in the group provides Banner with information identifying the person in charge of the production line.

Banner told me that the “XX51A” 5-character group on my battery identifies the production line and battery make-up.

1031039888_stateofchargechart.png.56b5eccb4829a096b4481cd47b9533bf.png

Archived