Everything free.

jumpstart

I consider myself lucky. I have an Independent candidate standing in my constituency who has the brains, experience of government, and vast knowledge about our relationship with the EU. I live in hope that he would add some semblance of rationality to decisions made in parliament if he is re-elected. He has put country before personal political advancement. So far he has been a voice crying in the wilderness.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Kirby - 2019-11-20 3:48 PM

Birdbrain - 2019-11-19 7:33 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-11-19 6:32 PM

Birdbrain - 2019-11-19 2:13 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-11-19 11:02 AM

..........................Losing? How?

"Vote for whoever has the greatest chance of unseating a Tory" ... Does that sound like a man who's voting for his party ??? No of course not so your winning isnt get your candidate elected just unseating a Tory ... Mind you losers have managed to redefine the meaning of losing over the last few years ... Boo-hoo

Extraordinary! How tribal. Why on earth would anyone maintain blind loyalty to a political party? What a waste of a vote.

I'll vote for whoever looks most likely to deliver the results I'd like to see. I want MPs who think for themselves, not party apparatchiks, and parties willing to put the national interest above their own dogma. If I can't choose between the parties (no problem at present! :-D), I'll vote for whoever looks the best candidate with some chance of getting elected.

But the only result you'd like to see according to you is unseating a Tory ??? ... If thats not ruddy tribal Brian Christ knows what is ... Regards

It's a means to an end, Tweetie. The Tories are pursuing an end I don't want, I therefore don't want them in government. So voting for whichever non-Tory stands the best chance of gaining the seat is the best way to deny them a working majority or, ideally, reducing the number of their seats to the point at which they cannot govern with any combination of confidence and supply acolytes. Not sure that qualifies as tribal, in fact, I'd have thought the exact opposite. It is not against Tories per se, just the present incarnation of the Tory party. You never know, they may one day return to sanity! :-D

So your keeping the Tories out at all costs is somehow not tribalism then ??? ... I get ya Brian ... I get ya

Birdbrain - 2019-11-20 4:31 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-11-20 3:48 PM

Birdbrain - 2019-11-19 7:33 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-11-19 6:32 PM

Birdbrain - 2019-11-19 2:13 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-11-19 11:02 AM

..........................Losing? How?

"Vote for whoever has the greatest chance of unseating a Tory" ... Does that sound like a man who's voting for his party ??? No of course not so your winning isnt get your candidate elected just unseating a Tory ... Mind you losers have managed to redefine the meaning of losing over the last few years ... Boo-hoo

Extraordinary! How tribal. Why on earth would anyone maintain blind loyalty to a political party? What a waste of a vote.

I'll vote for whoever looks most likely to deliver the results I'd like to see. I want MPs who think for themselves, not party apparatchiks, and parties willing to put the national interest above their own dogma. If I can't choose between the parties (no problem at present! :-D), I'll vote for whoever looks the best candidate with some chance of getting elected.

But the only result you'd like to see according to you is unseating a Tory ??? ... If thats not ruddy tribal Brian Christ knows what is ... Regards

It's a means to an end, Tweetie. The Tories are pursuing an end I don't want, I therefore don't want them in government. So voting for whichever non-Tory stands the best chance of gaining the seat is the best way to deny them a working majority or, ideally, reducing the number of their seats to the point at which they cannot govern with any combination of confidence and supply acolytes. Not sure that qualifies as tribal, in fact, I'd have thought the exact opposite. It is not against Tories per se, just the present incarnation of the Tory party. You never know, they may one day return to sanity! :-D

So your keeping the Tories out at all costs is somehow not tribalism then ??? ... I get ya Brian ... I get ya

I don't think you do at all. It's election time, and I'll use my vote as I choose. If enough other people vote as I do, I'll be happy. I assume you won't be voting for the LDs, Greens, or Labour, which seems to leave you with the Brexit party and the Tories.

I don't recognise this "my party" that you refer to above, though you clearly do. Fine. It's called democracy, isn't it? Whatever means we adopt, ultimately, we're both voting for the outcome for the country that we want to see.

The difference is that, looking at the voting record of Huddersfield, you seem to have little chance of being satisfied with the result, whereas as I'm in a bit of a "swing" constituency, I reckon I'm in with a shout! :-D

Archived