Rear AMC AL-K0 axle

Hans

The tm name of the devise eludes me at the moment, but the usual one is a box placed on the floor of vehicle, it is then driven down the road and brakes applied, has to be used on some AWD vehicles like one of my Suzi's.

p.s. Tapley Brake Testing Meter, although I see they are not a box like they used to be.

Colin,

Just got to ask, what does a Tapley brake tester have to do with Han's comment on jacking up the Al-Ko rear axle?

Even if the vehicle cannot be brake tested on a rolling road surely it still has to have both axles raised on a vehicle lift to inspect suspension and driveline components.

Keith.

Keithl - 2019-12-23 10:04 PM

Colin,

Just got to ask, what does a Tapley brake tester have to do with Han's comment on jacking up the Al-Ko rear axle?

Even if the vehicle cannot be brake tested on a rolling road surely it still has to have both axles raised on a vehicle lift to inspect suspension and driveline components.

Keith.

There is a guide for MOT test stations that defines the required equipment

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/843149/mot-testing-guide.pdf

but (as far as I can see) this does not cover how jacking equipment should be employed.

I don’t know how MOT testing stations normally raise a motorhome during the test, but I recall my Hobby being lifted (when it was serviced) using the four jacking-points on the chassis so that all of its road-wheels could be removed for its brakes to be checked/worked on.

As Hans warns, if a motorhome’s AL-KO AMC axle is directly jacked, the axle may be damaged.

This link

https://www.alko.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/AMC_Handbook.pdf

says (Page 20/21)

important:

- Never raise the vehicle at the rear axle, the front axle, engine oil pan or transmission.

When you have a flat tyre on a fiat front axle and a rear alko axle. Rear one or two. You have to pulled out the fixed in place Black box who contains the lifting jack. It is fiat. Alko chassis holes comply on the rear.In other words there is not a alko tyre jack. The location is crucial to find him back and to reinstall him proper. Part of the type approval and Mot. the in is 23 mm abot a inch. It fits alko hole on the axle block low or high frame. The axle tube is about 8 mm thick. You may only lift in the axle block dedicated hole low frame. On high frame it sits further down at the decrease of the chassis runner rail. The front fiat trans axle traverse can take 4 tons. So no problem there unless some pipes there. My Mot tester said we use a 40 cm wide table L/R to lift up your rear Axle. And a very important check in lift up status. Try to simulate this test at home as i did. The arms should not have shoogle more than 0.5 mm.

Archived