Overhanging load sign.

Conrad

OK, so being in the EU did nothing for vehicle signage commonality!

I'm trying to find out what is needed in continental Europe on the back of my motor caravan's bike rack, which is folded up when we're travelling, only open to dry laundry on sites.

So far I have found that in UK nothing is needed if the overhang is less than 1m. In Spain, even with rack folded, you need a sign with 3 red and 3 white reflective diagonal stripes, in Italy 5 red and 4 white; for both it has to be made of aluminium and 50cm by 50cm.

Does anyone know or can provide a link to the answer for France, Netherlands and Germany? My default option is to get a 3 red and 3 white one, as it looks neater, and hope most reasonable police officers will think I'm at least showing willing.

We’ve been touring all over Europe for up to 3 months at a time now for over 20 years. We use a back board. We used to have a square plastic board with non- reflective stripes and a circular reflector in each corner. When that got run over we bought a metal one with reflective stripes, which is what we use now. Never once, in any country, has this been questioned. The critical wording of the law is “ reflective”.

Buy the straight forward square Fiamma bike rack board and use it when you have bikes on the back or not. The whole idea is that it warns those behind you that the back of your van is longer than it might appear. If this prevents cyclists or cars running into the back of you then it is a good thing and you should use it whether it is the law or not. It also improves the visibility of your van in fog or at night, another good thing to do.

It is possible to obtain ‘bi-sexual' Spain/Italy reflective warning plates (example here)

https://tinyurl.com/wjx9zgg

To the best of my knowledge the motoring regulations of France, Netherlands or Germany do not demand that a rear warning plate be used, but they do not prohibit that practice either.

This link (one of several about this) might be of interest.

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/130-france-touring/114012-bikes-back-mh-need-warning-signal-board-france.html

The “Overseas driving regulations” sectioin of the Caravan Club's website says

Bike racks

You can carry your bikes on the roof of your car provided they are attached to an adequate roof-rack and the total height does not exceed 4m.

You can also carry your bikes on the back of your vehicle, provided they do not obscure lights, indicators or number plates. If travelling through Portugal, make sure your bikes are carried at the rear of your caravan or motorhome and not your car.

Bike racks can only rest on the towbar if the maximum weight on the towbar is not exceeded.

In Spain and Italy, any overhanging loads must be indicated by a square panel measuring 50cm x 50cm. The square must have reflectorized red and white diagonal stripes. Panels can be purchased from Fiamma stockists are available in aluminium and plastic. In Spain you can use either, however, in Italy the panel must be aluminium.

Conrad - 2020-01-30 5:38 PM

... my motor caravan's bike rack, which is folded up when we're travelling, only open to dry laundry on sites.

If you don't use the rack to carry bikes then why not take it off and get a caravan style clothes drier rack for when you need to dry laundry?

Keith.

Keithl - 2020-01-31 9:01 AM

Conrad - 2020-01-30 5:38 PM

... my motor caravan's bike rack, which is folded up when we're travelling, only open to dry laundry on sites.

If you don't use the rack to carry bikes then why not take it off and get a caravan style clothes drier rack for when you need to dry laundry?

Keith.

He could leave it on and attach an ironing board to it. :D

Oh the laundry is only the start! Can tie dogs onto the bike rack, set a tea tray on it, position the solar water heater! I once even carried the grandkids bikes on it!

Thanks for the other replies, sounds like a regular sign would do, extra safety even if not needed.

Archived