To Go or Not to Go.

Ninian

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jumpstart - 2020-03-05 5:23 PM

BruceM - 2020-03-05 12:01 PM

jumpstart - 2020-03-04 6:55 PM

Just to put it in to context 3000 people were admitted to intensive care in the uk last year with severe flu. Presently 89 people have proved positive to CV.

Your comment is apposite.

Seasonal flu accounts for an average of about 12,000 deaths a year in the UK although some years it can be double that.

Many of the people who are susceptible to dying due to seasonal flu are likely to die from Covid-19.

The two key differences are that we have a vaccination for seasonal flu which helps to reduce the economic impact and death rate ; and we have plenty of experience of treating seasonal flu whereas treatment for Covid-19 is still in the experimental phase. So I think that overall maybe 50,000 UK deaths from Covid-19 may be a realistic number – although it's probably inappropriate to hold a sweepstake on that number.

We have probably all noted that UK government advisors have indicated that we have moved out of the ‘containment’ phase and are now in the ‘delay’ phase (as in delay the rate of spread); and there appears to be acknowledgement that Covid-19 is now in UK circulation as in that there are undetected cases in circulation.

So I think that the best we can do is buckle in for the ride and take whatever we determine are sensible precautions.

Maybe but maybe not. You are just guessing.

Which bit am I 'just guessing' ?

Archived