Seaflo mirror protectors

Sydney1

Seaflo mirror protectors were mentioned in this recent forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Mirror-guards/54460/

The more expensive Seaflo protector design carries two rear-facing red reflectors and a single orange front-facing reflector. Regarding the latter, the UK’s Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 documentation states

REQUIREMENTS RELATING TO OPTIONAL FRONT RETRO REFLECTORS

Law In Force

Any number may be fitted and the only requirements prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are that specifed in paragraph 8(b) of Part I and that the Colour shall not be red.

(I recall, years ago, a letter in Motor Sport magazine where the owner of a new Toyota sportscar had been charged (by a policewoman as it happens) with a traffic offence because the car’s front fog-lamps had an orange lens. He had contacted Toyota who, in turn, contacted the relevant police force saying “How could it possibly be thought that a car manufacturer like Toyota would market a vehicle that failed to conform fully with UK motoring regulations?” The car owner demanded an official apology from the police and got it.)

Derek Uzzell - 2020-03-01 2:08 PM

Law In Force

Any number may be fitted and the only requirements prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are that specifed in paragraph 8(b) of Part I and that the Colour shall not be red.

That’s interesting, would that mean do you think that any rear reflectors can be any colour as long as they are not white?

BruceM - 2020-03-01 3:22 PM

Law In Force

That’s interesting, would that mean do you think that any rear reflectors can be any colour as long as they are not white?

No! Rears MUST be RED.

Keith.

Keithl - 2020-03-01 3:24 PM

BruceM - 2020-03-01 3:22 PM

Law In Force

No! Rears MUST be RED.

Keith.

I’m not sure that it’s as black and white as that. For instance the Fiamma reflector (see pic) has both white and red reflectors which if legal implies that have rear facing white reflectors is legal although not definitive. Given the ban on red reflectors at the front of the vehicle, banning white at the rear makes sense. The question still remains in my mind though, is it a UK legal requirement not to have white on the rear?

1-Fiamma.thumb.jpg.9d5a53d2d684cfaa1445ad42022c7989.jpg

BruceM - 2020-03-01 8:02 PM

I’m not sure that it’s as black and white as that. For instance the Fiamma reflector (see pic) has both white and red reflectors which if legal implies that have rear facing white reflectors is legal although not definitive. Given the ban on red reflectors at the front of the vehicle, banning white at the rear makes sense. The question still remains in my mind though, is it a UK legal requirement not to have white on the rear?

Totally agree!

Reading 'The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989'

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/part/II/made

it is quite clear that white light is not allowed to the rear and no mention is made of the Fiamma style warning boards, but my view would be that if they are capable of reflecting a white light to the rear then they are not legal.

It is also stated that loads projecting to the rear by less then one metre do not require warning boards as long as the main lights are still visible.

Make of that what you will.

Keith.

The UK’s Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 documentation defines a REAR RETRO REFLECTOR as

A retro reflector used to indicate the presence and width of a vehicle when viewed from the rear .

The Regulations cover such reflectors according to whether they are OBLIGATORY or OPTIONAL and the colour of OBLIGATORY retro rear reflectors must be RED.

The allowable colours of OPTIONAL retro rear reflectors are defined as follows:

The colour of rear retro reflectors fitted to a vehicle used for—

(a) police,

(b) Scottish Fire and Rescue Service or, in England and Wales, fire and rescue authority, (d) Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency, or

(e) traffic officer,

purposes may be red, yellow or orange (or any combination).

The colour of rear retro reflectors fitted to—

(a) a vehicle used for ambulance purposes, or

(b) a vehicle used for the purpose of providing a response to an emergency at the request

of an NHS ambulance service, may be red, yellow or orange (or any combination), provided

that, in the case mentioned in paragraph (b), the vehicle is owned by the NHS ambulance

service or held by it under a lease or hire agreement.

Rear ‘projection boards’ (like the Fiamma product shown in the BruceM’s posting above) do not meet the definition of a REAR RETRO REFLECTOR as the boards’ purpose is to warn of a projection at a vehicle’s rear and they do not indicate the vehicle’s width.

‘Projection boards’ are covered in the UK’s Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (C&U) and such boards are stated as needing to have alternate red and white stripes.

Archived