Self isolation in a motorhome

chas

John52 - 2020-03-23 9:52 AM

Deneb - 2020-03-17 3:32 PM

I have to use hands which have touched gate latches and stiles to open it.

Get a hat, then you can use it like a glove, without ever touching the top of your head part that touches the gate handles ?

I heard the virus can't live more than an hour or so outside the body, so maybe you don't need to wash your clothes every time you have been out?

I have mitigations in place, but prefer the advice of my wife who is infection control trained, thanks.

How long the virus remains active outside the body is still subject to investigation, but current guidance suggests up to 24 hours on paper and fabric surfaces, and up to 72 hours on metal, plastics and other smooth non-absorbent surfaces. It may be less in the open air and sunlight, it may be more in some other situations.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deneb - 2020-03-23 10:49 AM

John52 - 2020-03-23 9:52 AM

Deneb - 2020-03-17 3:32 PM

I have to use hands which have touched gate latches and stiles to open it.

Get a hat, then you can use it like a glove, without ever touching the top of your head part that touches the gate handles ?

I heard the virus can't live more than an hour or so outside the body, so maybe you don't need to wash your clothes every time you have been out?

I have mitigations in place, but prefer the advice of my wife who is infection control trained, thanks.

How long the virus remains active outside the body is still subject to investigation, but current guidance suggests up to 24 hours on paper and fabric surfaces, and up to 72 hours on metal, plastics and other smooth non-absorbent surfaces. It may be less in the open air and sunlight, it may be more in some other situations.

Thanks for the info on the time the virus remains active - I didn't know that.

But I'm surprised you prefer using your hands to open gate latches

I thought using the top of your hat would at least be a barrier thats better than nothing.

(or an extra barrier if you are using gloves)

Clearly as motorhomers we want to be able to get away when we want to. I hate the fact I cant even go out when I want to at the moment let alone getting in the van and going away. I'm not happy that my trip to France in a few weeks is not going to happen and Greece in the summer is looking unlikely. But I'm more than prepared to put up with that for the sake of the lives of others. I don't know if i have the virus, but I'll try not to put others at risk by going along with the current advice.

We are a privileged bunch of people, in that we have a vehicle that most people can only dream of. Lets not bugger it up for others by trying to work out ways of justifying going away in our vans. Stay at home, the message is simple.

John52 - 2020-03-23 2:57 PM

I thought using the top of your hat would at least be a barrier thats better than nothing.

Up to the beginning of this week, I felt the risk from gates was fairly minimal, as I can normally walk 6 or 7 miles on my usual routes without seeing another soul, save for the occasional horse rider, and the way I was operating the latches meant I was only touching surfaces that it was unlikely anyone else would use.

Provided I was careful not to touch my face until I had washed my hands thoroughly, the risk the risk wasn't that great an issue..

But since the introduction of the "lockdown" measures, specifically allowing people out of their houses once a day to exercise, and someone on our local Facebook group deciding to "helpfully" post a map of all the local paths, it's like Piccadilly Circus out there (OK I exaggerate slightly).so I have now utilised an old hand grip attachment for an electric drill, with a small piece of plastic tubing over the threaded end and a key ring threaded through a hole drilled in the other end of the handle, with a lanyard to fasten it to my belt.

I can now operate latches with the threaded end of the hand grip, whilst pulling or pushing the gate with my boot or sleeve, and can sanitise the grip for re-use when I get home.

Selfish I know, but the increase in the number of people now "taking exercise" has rather spoilt the peace and solitude that I enjoy and which has always been one of the reasons I have always tried to go for a ramble every day. It's only on the paths closest to the village, so I can soon get away from them, but the start and finish are becoming a bit of a social distancing obstacle course, and it's frustrating to come up behind people walking in the same direction but more slowly on narrow paths, meaning I have to hold back and match their pace. I might need to look for an exercise bike if it carries on too long!

Deneb - 2020-03-25 10:56 PM

John52 - 2020-03-23 2:57 PM

Up to the beginning of this week, I felt the risk from gates was fairly minimal, as I can normally walk 6 or 7 miles on my usual routes without seeing another soul, save for the occasional horse rider, and the way I was operating the latches meant I was only touching surfaces that it was unlikely anyone else would use.

Provided I was careful not to touch my face until I had washed my hands thoroughly, the risk the risk wasn't that great an issue..

But since the introduction of the "lockdown" measures, specifically allowing people out of their houses once a day to exercise, and someone on our local Facebook group deciding to "helpfully" post a map of all the local paths, it's like Piccadilly Circus out there (OK I exaggerate slightly).so I have now utilised an old hand grip attachment for an electric drill, with a small piece of plastic tubing over the threaded end and a key ring threaded through a hole drilled in the other end of the handle, with a lanyard to fasten it to my belt.

I can now operate latches with the threaded end of the hand grip, whilst pulling or pushing the gate with my boot or sleeve, and can sanitise the grip for re-use when I get home.

Selfish I know, but the increase in the number of people now "taking exercise" has rather spoilt the peace and solitude that I enjoy and which has always been one of the reasons I have always tried to go for a ramble every day. It's only on the paths closest to the village, so I can soon get away from them, but the start and finish are becoming a bit of a social distancing obstacle course, and it's frustrating to come up behind people walking in the same direction but more slowly on narrow paths, meaning I have to hold back and match their pace. I might need to look for an exercise bike if it carries on too long!

I do sympathise,we to do 6 - 8 miles each day and once we have left the village we don’t see a soul . Yesterday 4 hour walk, saw only 2 tractors,in the village it’s like all the elderly have taken the walking advice as if it’s compulsory to get out and walk. I think the trick is go out early like 7 am, beat the rush.

People always come up with a good argument to satisfy their own actions.

For those of you who still think it OK to self-isolate in your motorhomes, please stay way from Devon and Cornwall as you are not welcome at the moment.

I would like to think that our already overloaded local NHS services are available for us locals should we need them rather than be swamped with 2nd home owners, mototorhome owners, etc. who come up with an argument to circumnavigate the guidance and spirit of the guidance and bring it with them.

Dave 'R' - 2020-03-29 8:18 PM

People always come up with a good argument to satisfy their own actions.

For those of you who still think it OK to self-isolate in your motorhomes, please stay way from Devon and Cornwall as you are not welcome at the moment.

I would like to think that our already overloaded local NHS services are available for us locals should we need them rather than be swamped with 2nd home owners, mototorhome owners, etc. who come up with an argument to circumnavigate the guidance and spirit of the guidance and bring it with them.

So if you are unwell in Europe at some time presumably you will be happy for locals to tell you to P off if you need hospital treatment.

I have just posted the paragraphs below on another forum. Not to s**t stir or provoke argument, but simply as observations. I come from N. Ireland, so am familiar with and subjected to both viewpoints.

“I think what we are seeing is possibly the ‘polite’ first world response to a life threatening scenario. It is effectively a form of the movement that we see all over the world when things go wrong. A movement of refugees.

Can any of us honestly say we would not do the same if we deemed it likely to keep us alive, who knows, if it gets really bad it could happen on a bigger scale.

I am curious that no one on any forum or news outlet that I visit has not condemned the behaviour of some rural dwellers. Understandable though their reasons are, Some of the acts of blocking roads are verging on the vigilante mob rule. How come those manning the blocks are out of their homes? Some of the posters seem designed to intimidate. Not really acceptable in a taxpaying democracy.

One wonders what would happen if the out break started in a rural area overwhelming local services. Would the nearest town with facilities be justified in blockading their town to keep the sufferers out.

I think that we see the tip of the fact that civilisation and community are a mere veneer. It would not take much for civil unrest on a major scale.”

Davy

chas - 2020-03-30 9:36 AMI am afraid that when push comes to shove, its dog eats dog.

That sort of expression begins to sound like a statement of intent, that one would rob and kill others to take food off them etc if necessary, so that civilisation and the rule of law is completely abandonned.  Unfortunately that is perhaps what's now threatenning in South Italy and I really hope that it doesn't materialise.  Their government really must get food distributed to the parets of young children who are now running out of resources.

My wife and I have been discussing what we want to do, if despite our efforts to self-isolate we start to develop serious COVID19 illness.  We both would rather die together holding hands in our bed than end up alone in a hospital on a ventilator with a small chance of survival.  We have had a good life together and we'll try hard to keep the prospect of enjoying more of it by self-isolating properly but that's it; if we have to go we'll go looking after each other to the end.  We're not going to steal anyone else's chances.

There was little doubt that Davy’s posting (s**t stirring or not) would provoke argument and already has...

Forum Moderators can delete complete threads or move a complete thread to another Out&AboutLive forum. A Moderator can also delete (or edit) individual postings within a forum thread, but cannot move individual postings to another thread.

I beleve this discussion is another coronavirus “Motorhome Matters” discussion that’s had its day, so I’m now going to freeze it.

There is a coronavirus-related thread on the “Chatterbox” forum, so generalised comments on humanity, democracy, altruism, (whatever) can be posted there.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/General-Chat/Chatterbox/9/

Archived