Stranded in Spain

htrevor

In my posting of 21 March 2020 7:56 AM on this thread’s first page I provided a copy of the French ‘attestation’ form, and suggested how Trevor might amend it to indicate that he was heading home to the UK in a motorhome.

The form can be hand-written (in French) on a piece of plain paper and - if I were in Trevor’s situation and could not get several forms printed to begin with - I'd hand write a few leaving the date blank.

It’s quite possible that the French police would treat Trevor’s journey as a ’single trip’ and one form would be sufficient all the way through France.

It’s also possible that Trevor would not get checked by the French police on his way north- but if he has a stash of forms and, if he did get stopped, rapidly scribbling the date on an otherwise pre-completed form, should do.

Hopefully Trevor is now well on his way. He is, after all a singleton man, and as long as his Westfalia campervan has diesel fuel, niceties can be forgotten. When I collected a new motorhome from Germany in 2005 all I took with me from the UK was what I could carry in a small back-pack. The motorhome had a tank full of fresh water but no gas and I spent 4 days alone ‘pigging it’ in France before getting a ferry from Le Havre. I took a toothbrush with me but no razor and, when I came to board the ferry, I was very much a ‘rogue male’ and probably a bit wiffy too.

As far as overnighting is concerned, Nicepix has offered vauable advice - otherwise it will be necessary for Trevor to use common sense. He has been travelling alone in Europe for 1.5 years, so he ought to be able to cope.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Kirby - 2020-03-22 2:54 PM

htrevor - 2020-03-22 9:06 AM...……………………….

Thanks Derek

I think you may be wise to contact the nearest British embassy or consulate and seek their advice. My assumption would be that you will need a Spanish and French declaration form, but that your journey would count as a single journey while within each country even if it spans more than one day in each country. I think I'd focus on aires etc in preference to campsite (because the campsites will be shut, whereas many aires lack proper barriers) while in transit. I hope you have assess to adequate sources of information to find these, otherwise possibly try overnighting discreetly at larger supermarket car parks. Try to brim everything before you leave, and aim to cover the ground as quickly as possible consistent with staying alert. But, don't forget that on toll motorways you will leave evidence of when you enter and when you pass toll stations, so the duration and speed of your journey will be visible!

Best of luck.

Thank Brian

Nicepix - 2020-03-22 4:13 PM

Edited Grisolles, not Girolles

Nicepix - 2020-03-22 4:12 PM

Just for general information for those travelling north back home there is a large, flat and free aire at Grisolles, just off the N20 north of Toulouse. It will hold about 20 - 30 vehicles, caravans and cars. It is out of the way and clearly signed. I would not expect that aire to be closed but if it is there is an unofficial large parking area next to the Stade and alongside the river.

If you are going up the N147 in the Poitiers area there are free aires at Bussiere-Poitevin. Take the right turn onto the D942 signed Bussiere-Poitevin centre and you see the aire on your right as you pass the Bussiere-Poitevin sign on entering the town. Again t will take 20 - 30 vehicles and caravans would not be turned away. I was there yesterday and while the service point was closed, the aire was open. There is another free aire at Lussac-les-Chateaux just after you leave the centre on your left. and before you cross the river. I would expect that to stay open whereas the other aire in town centre might be closed.

Thanks Nicepix

Hi

Got through Spain and am now making my way up the A75 towards Calais where I have a ferry booked for Wednesday. Not been stopped so far but probably because I am sticking to the motorways. Am in an Aires high in the mountains at Roquefort where they make the cheese, after seeing it on Campercontact. Stopped for a quick bathroom visit after passing it and looking around the village and immediately a police car knocked on my door. After telling me that I couldn’t sleep there he took me back to the Aires and waved me a friendly goodbye. Still here at 11.00 the next morning but now in a real dilemma as seen as I expected that uk campervan sites have closed. I have nowhere to go in the Uk, there are no Aires and wild camping is not easy but the main problem would finding a constant supply of water. So now I am thinking of maybe taking my chances in France. I think that I will always be able to find Aires that are open especially the Free ones that don’t have Barriers and water service points using the App, and maybe the local police will remain as friendly as this one was. I won’t have to get on a dangerous ferry (Eurotunnel all booked up), better weather which will make self isolation a little more bearable. What is the worse that can happen to me, besides getting infected? At least I should have a regular supply of water in prison. I don’t know! Will have to make my mind up soon as will miss the ferry.

htrevor - 2020-03-23 10:20 AM ....Will have to make my mind up soon as will miss the ferry.

I suspect the French police will get a lot less friendly if they find you holing up on an Aire for the duration rather than heading for Calais and the UK.

It's not difficult to imagine that the French will be turning the water off at all the Aires sooner or later.

It’s a really difficult call.

If you absolutely have no one in the UK who would provide you with support then I suspect finding somewhere to park up in the UK will be more difficult than in France.

Likewise, getting water is likely to be more difficult given that France is geared up for wandering motorhomes whilst the UK is not.

On the medical care front, according to anecdotal reports the NHS is already overloaded so I’d not expect better care in the UK than in France. If you have good French language skills then holing up in France may be a better option especially as it may come out the other side of this sooner than the UK. I guess it could be claimed that as non-essential travel in France is banned then staying where you are is following gov.fr advice.

You would though need a plan on what to do if you did fall ill. Run through the scenario, determine who you would telephone and write it all down including what you'd say to gain assistance.

In all of this I’m assume that all French campsites are now closed to the public?? If not then that would in my opinion be your best bet for all of the obvious reasons.

Incidentally, I don’t know what the current situation is at the Aire at Saint Valery-sur-Somme but if it’s open (12 euro per night – pay on exit with plastic, automated barriers), it’s very large and provides a visually pleasant stay with water, EHU inclusive and dumping facilities and with a short walk down into the the delightful medieval town for food it’s probably the place I would like most to hole up in. It’s also only half a days drive from Calais should you wish to return to the UK. Normally open all year I believe.

curdle - 2020-03-21 5:45 PM

This situation illustrates the lie of united Europe. When the sxxx hits the fan, the retreat to nationalism is stark.NO British to clog up Spanish or French medical facilities thank you, or breathe our air for that matter.

Actually, not entirely true. If you choose to stay in Spain during the crisis, then the Spanish authorities WILL look after you if you get sick. This problem is about where to stay, and if the OP can find a bolthole and sit it out, I personally think that he is better off in Spain as the lockdown is so much better than the UK and they will probably come out of the crisis a lot faster than in the UK, where many people remain in denial.

My Neighbor has just been flown home before the end of his holiday by jet2.

He in rang me to say he was back and would be self isolating for 14 days.

I offered to do any shopping required or anything that he may have to nip out for.

2 days later his in close contact with customers in Tescos.

Those whom say it’s ok and should only self isolation if showing symptoms are totally wrong.

PRIOR TO SHOWING SIGNS YOU CAN BE PASSING ON THE VIRUS COVID-19

I can’t believe some are saying it’s ok to go out.

For heavens sake. STAY IN.

Do you not listen to the radio. Tv. Papers. Online.

Most Motorhomers are older and this makes you more susceptible to DYING

It’s Permanent. Your DEAD.

At the best your very Unwell.

Do you want to come back from a hotspot, Italy. Spain. France ect and pass it on.

If you say yes it’s ok.

Then the government need to have a lock down and stop people like you causing total havoc.

MY SON AND ALL THOSE WORKING IN THE NHS DUE TO IDIOTS LIKE YOU IS AT RISK .

We should all be staying in.

If you return from a hot spot Stay in.

It’s simple. ITALY DIDNT OBEY. NOW LOOK HOW MANY OF THERE AGEING COMMUNITY HAVE DIED UNNECESSARILY.

Earlier today Trevor said that he had left Spain and, last night, had overnighted on the aire at Roquefort-sur-Soulzon not far from the autoroute A75.

Three days ago the French motorhome magazine “Le Monde du Camping-car” issued the following advice (GGOGLE translated)

Any important event relayed by the media gives rise to its share of rumors, fake news and intoxication. The coronavirus, which also affects public health as well as our daily life, is no exception to the rule. Here are three rumors that have been reported to us, on which we give you our perspective.

It was by talking to a club president that we learned about this news from social media. And who says rumors says questions, legitimate or not, but which in any case call for an answer. Before you start, we remind you that the instructions set out by the public authorities are clear: you must stay at home. The Motorhome World associates itself with this watchword and relays it in this article: Motorhomes, stay at home.

Rumour 1: Are motorhomes less exposed to the coronavirus?

When you're traveling in a motorhome, it's a bit like being at home, and we're going to make you smile by telling you that some motorhomes are confined ... even in the absence of an epidemic. In any event, we can indeed choose to be alone on board and to be with as few people as if we were at home.

In a motorhome, you are not safe from the coronavirus

But here it is: in fact, we are not less exposed than at home. We will necessarily go to shops, use a drain point, a fuel pump, meet neighbors. Besides, it is more difficult to stay locked in a 9 m2 cabin than in a house or apartment. Another problem: if you catch the virus, you are not at home, or near your doctor, your pharmacist, a hospital you know, etc.

Rumour 2: in England, fewer constraints

It seems that a certain number of motorhomes look with envy on the side of England, and cherish the project to leave there, the time that the epidemic stops in France. They may have read that containment measures were not applied in Britain. The epidemic arrived less quickly in the British Isles than on the continent, and the government of Boris Johnson avoided the shock measures, preferring first to bet on a possible (and risky) collective immunity ... before changing its opinion. The bans are even less drastic than in France, but for how long?

Why we must not leave France

Common sense advises to stay in France. First, to move is to contravene the instructions given by the public authorities. Then who knows where Britain will be in a month? Will it then be possible, if the epidemic worsens in the United Kingdom (which is likely), to return to the continent?

Rumour 3: You can always stay on the Camping-Car Park areas

"Some say that Camping-Car Park can continue to accommodate motorhomes but not the other service areas," explains a manager of a motorhome association. There would have been a press release from this company, but no way to find it! To tell the truth, we did not try to contact Camping-Car Park, as the prospect of a press release on this subject seems unrealistic.

Open and closed areas?

First, the Camping-Car Park areas have various statuses. In most cases, these are municipal areas, and it is not up to the host network to say whether they should be left open. More generally, the 4,000 motorhome areas in France are very diverse. Some are simple car parks, open to all winds. These are not hotels or campsites that can be opened or closed to the public. On most of these sites, only the water supply can possibly be cut off.

And above all, on a Camping-Car Park site, in England or anywhere else, it seems inappropriate today to continue to practice the recreational motorhome. At the risk of repeating it, the safest and most responsible is to winterize the motorhome ... a few more weeks.

In Trevor’s particular case (with no UK property available to him at present) it MIGHT be easier to try to see out the pandemic using French aires, but I can’t see this going down well with the local French communities/authorities

BruceM has offered advice in his posting of 23 March 2020 12:05 PM, but there are a lot of ‘ifs’ and - should Trevor choose that option - as Bruce says Trevor would definitely need a fall-back strategy.

And staying on French campsites is currently a definite non-starter.

Den - 2020-03-23 12:59 PM

My Neighbor has just been flown home before the end of his holiday by jet2.

He in rang me to say he was back and would be self isolating for 14 days.

I offered to do any shopping required or anything that he may have to nip out for.

2 days later his in close contact with customers in Tescos.

Those whom say it’s ok and should only self isolation if showing symptoms are totally wrong.

PRIOR TO SHOWING SIGNS YOU CAN BE PASSING ON THE VIRUS COVID-19

I can’t believe some are saying it’s ok to go out.

For heavens sake. STAY IN.

Do you not listen to the radio. Tv. Papers. Online.

Most Motorhomers are older and this makes you more susceptible to DYING

It’s Permanent. Your DEAD.

At the best your very Unwell.

Do you want to come back from a hotspot, Italy. Spain. France ect and pass it on.

If you say yes it’s ok.

Then the government need to have a lock down and stop people like you causing total havoc.

MY SON AND ALL THOSE WORKING IN THE NHS DUE TO IDIOTS LIKE YOU IS AT RISK .

We should all be staying in.

If you return from a hot spot Stay in.

It’s simple. ITALY DIDNT OBEY. NOW LOOK HOW MANY OF THERE AGEING COMMUNITY HAVE DIED UNNECESSARILY.

Fully agree Den, and well put!

jumpstart - 2020-03-23 12:05 PM

I have just looked at the web site of a CL attached to a pub. The pub now does takeaways,fresh bread,beer on the go and will allow Motorhomes to stay where they are desperate.

Thanks Jumpstartt. Where is it? Also I keep seeing the abbreviation CL, can’t work out what it stands for? Can you enlighten my simple brain please?

John52 - 2020-03-22 9:10 AM

htrevor - 2020-03-20 7:40 PM

Hi

Hope that this is the right place to post this but I am rather desperate at the moment and would be thankful for any advise.

I am in a campsite in Torredembarra Spain between Barcelona and Valencia. I arrived last Friday and the day after they shut all campsites in Spain to new arrivals. I was quite happy to stay there for as long as possible and self isolate as there were only 3 campers there after everybody left. Now I have been told that the campsite must close completely in 2 days time. There is a complete lockdown in Spain I was stopped by two policemen walking along the huge beach with no other people on it. So it will be difficult to travel around and if wild camping will probably be hounded by the police. Cannot understand why they are turfing everyone out , surely it would have been better to keep all the campers within the sites and avoid unnecessary travel. Even if I managed to successfully make it to England I do not have a home to go to as it is being let at the moment. I have seen that there are camper sites open in the Uk but that might change anytime like it has here. Also should mention that I am full time campervaning for the next 8 months, or hoped to be.

This situation is unprecedented, nobody knows, we can only offer speculation.

People shouldn't tell you what to do without understanding your personal circumstances, but they will :D

But AFAIK Nobody can order you to return to the UK.

But since Spain has always been more tolerant to motorhomers, and there is more room to spread out in, I see no reason why that should change.

Cheers John

StuartO - 2020-03-23 11:08 AM

htrevor - 2020-03-23 10:20 AM ....Will have to make my mind up soon as will miss the ferry.

I suspect the French police will get a lot less friendly if they find you holing up on an Aire for the duration rather than heading for Calais and the UK.

It's not difficult to imagine that the French will be turning the water off at all the Aires sooner or later.

Thanks Stuart

BruceM - 2020-03-23 12:05 PM

It’s a really difficult call.

If you absolutely have no one in the UK who would provide you with support then I suspect finding somewhere to park up in the UK will be more difficult than in France.

Likewise, getting water is likely to be more difficult given that France is geared up for wandering motorhomes whilst the UK is not.

On the medical care front, according to anecdotal reports the NHS is already overloaded so I’d not expect better care in the UK than in France. If you have good French language skills then holing up in France may be a better option especially as it may come out the other side of this sooner than the UK. I guess it could be claimed that as non-essential travel in France is banned then staying where you are is following gov.fr advice.

You would though need a plan on what to do if you did fall ill. Run through the scenario, determine who you would telephone and write it all down including what you'd say to gain assistance.

In all of this I’m assume that all French campsites are now closed to the public?? If not then that would in my opinion be your best bet for all of the obvious reasons.

Incidentally, I don’t know what the current situation is at the Aire at Saint Valery-sur-Somme but if it’s open (12 euro per night – pay on exit with plastic, automated barriers), it’s very large and provides a visually pleasant stay with water, EHU inclusive and dumping facilities and with a short walk down into the the delightful medieval town for food it’s probably the place I would like most to hole up in. It’s also only half a days drive from Calais should you wish to return to the UK. Normally open all year I believe.

Thanks Stuart. Very good advise.

Sorry I mean Bruce

flyboyprowler - 2020-03-23 12:47 PM

curdle - 2020-03-21 5:45 PM

This situation illustrates the lie of united Europe. When the sxxx hits the fan, the retreat to nationalism is stark.NO British to clog up Spanish or French medical facilities thank you, or breathe our air for that matter.

Actually, not entirely true. If you choose to stay in Spain during the crisis, then the Spanish authorities WILL look after you if you get sick. This problem is about where to stay, and if the OP can find a bolthole and sit it out, I personally think that he is better off in Spain as the lockdown is so much better than the UK and they will probably come out of the crisis a lot faster than in the UK, where many people remain in denial.

Appreciate your opinion

Derek Uzzell - 2020-03-23 1:49 PM

Earlier today Trevor said that he had left Spain and, last night, had overnighted on the aire at Roquefort-sur-Soulzon not far from the autoroute A75.

Three days ago the French motorhome magazine “Le Monde du Camping-car” issued the following advice (GGOGLE translated)

Any important event relayed by the media gives rise to its share of rumors, fake news and intoxication. The coronavirus, which also affects public health as well as our daily life, is no exception to the rule. Here are three rumors that have been reported to us, on which we give you our perspective.

It was by talking to a club president that we learned about this news from social media. And who says rumors says questions, legitimate or not, but which in any case call for an answer. Before you start, we remind you that the instructions set out by the public authorities are clear: you must stay at home. The Motorhome World associates itself with this watchword and relays it in this article: Motorhomes, stay at home.

Rumour 1: Are motorhomes less exposed to the coronavirus?

When you're traveling in a motorhome, it's a bit like being at home, and we're going to make you smile by telling you that some motorhomes are confined ... even in the absence of an epidemic. In any event, we can indeed choose to be alone on board and to be with as few people as if we were at home.

In a motorhome, you are not safe from the coronavirus

But here it is: in fact, we are not less exposed than at home. We will necessarily go to shops, use a drain point, a fuel pump, meet neighbors. Besides, it is more difficult to stay locked in a 9 m2 cabin than in a house or apartment. Another problem: if you catch the virus, you are not at home, or near your doctor, your pharmacist, a hospital you know, etc.

Rumour 2: in England, fewer constraints

It seems that a certain number of motorhomes look with envy on the side of England, and cherish the project to leave there, the time that the epidemic stops in France. They may have read that containment measures were not applied in Britain. The epidemic arrived less quickly in the British Isles than on the continent, and the government of Boris Johnson avoided the shock measures, preferring first to bet on a possible (and risky) collective immunity ... before changing its opinion. The bans are even less drastic than in France, but for how long?

Why we must not leave France

Common sense advises to stay in France. First, to move is to contravene the instructions given by the public authorities. Then who knows where Britain will be in a month? Will it then be possible, if the epidemic worsens in the United Kingdom (which is likely), to return to the continent?

Rumour 3: You can always stay on the Camping-Car Park areas

"Some say that Camping-Car Park can continue to accommodate motorhomes but not the other service areas," explains a manager of a motorhome association. There would have been a press release from this company, but no way to find it! To tell the truth, we did not try to contact Camping-Car Park, as the prospect of a press release on this subject seems unrealistic.

Open and closed areas?

First, the Camping-Car Park areas have various statuses. In most cases, these are municipal areas, and it is not up to the host network to say whether they should be left open. More generally, the 4,000 motorhome areas in France are very diverse. Some are simple car parks, open to all winds. These are not hotels or campsites that can be opened or closed to the public. On most of these sites, only the water supply can possibly be cut off.

And above all, on a Camping-Car Park site, in England or anywhere else, it seems inappropriate today to continue to practice the recreational motorhome. At the risk of repeating it, the safest and most responsible is to winterize the motorhome ... a few more weeks.

In Trevor’s particular case (with no UK property available to him at present) it MIGHT be easier to try to see out the pandemic using French aires, but I can’t see this going down well with the local French communities/authorities

BruceM has offered advice in his posting of 23 March 2020 12:05 PM, but there are a lot of ‘ifs’ and - should Trevor choose that option - as Bruce says Trevor would definitely need a fall-back strategy.

And staying on French campsites is currently a definite non-starter.

Thanks Derek

htrevor - 2020-03-23 2:04 PM

jumpstart - 2020-03-23 12:05 PM

I have just looked at the web site of a CL attached to a pub. The pub now does takeaways,fresh bread,beer on the go and will allow Motorhomes to stay where they are desperate.

Thanks Jumpstartt. Where is it? Also I keep seeing the abbreviation CL, can’t work out what it stands for? Can you enlighten my simple brain please?

I HAVe sent you an email with the details.Good luck.

Not sure if Trevor is using the autoroutes but when i got robbed in Spain some years ago i was at Tarragona just south of Barcelona and though i had a full tank of diesel, knew i'd need cash to tank up enroute back to UK. A friend wired cash to me which was a max limit of £400 but knew that would more than cover the fuel needed. I could have saved money by avoiding all autoroutes but opted to use them as i knew it would be quicker than trundling through towns and along country roads etc. I made it back to Dunkerque with just two overnight stops.

Stay safe Trevor and good luck with your repatriation.

A CL is a small campsite affiliated to the ccc club they are shut as well

what about renting a house, flat ,pod, anything for a few months either in France or UK, join face book i think there has been a page set up for full timers and what they can do just search motorhome fulltimers a number of options come up including offers of places to stay

Jonathan

The GOV.UK guidance on business closures is here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874732/230320_-_Revised_guidance_note_-_finalVF.pdf

I notice that there is a MHFun forum thread ("Help for Full Timers with no place to pitch”) that might be of interest to Trevor if he decides to come back to the UK.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/help-for-full-timers-with-no-place-to-pitch.215375/