Stranded in Spain

htrevor

And for god's sake don't overnight on motorway car parks.

We all know not to do it but in these difficult times people may risk it.

Friends of ours did an epic drive from Vilanova Park to Calais in 22 hours. Stopped on a motorway service station to grab a few hours sleep and were broken into by scumbags. They managed to also cut the tensioned security strap but got nothing as all the activity woke our friends.

Difficult times are opportunities for these low life, so be extra careful where you sleep. 8-)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Derek Uzzell - 2020-03-21 11:18 AM

If all Spanish campsites will be closing in a few days and the same is true for French campsites, your options must be very limited. At least if you can make it to the UK virus-free, as a UK resident you'll have the NHS to fall back on if you become ill.

The Spanish and French won't want you in their country potentially tying up medical resources, so the best thing - like it or not or whether you MUST leave Spain - should be to head back to the UK. Once there you can explore what to do next.

Thanks Derek. Reluctantly I think you are probably right.

Barryd999 - 2020-03-21 11:42 AM

htrevor - 2020-03-21 10:41 AM

Thanks everyone for your help. I know that the general consensus is to go back to the Uk as soon as possible but I have not been back to the Uk since end of November, do not have a home to go to and had no plans to return for the next 8 months , so don’t moan at me but what would happen if I stayed in the country? I know the campsites are closing but when I get back to England they might decide to close theirs. Is it official that I have to go home? Sorry.

I think another issue you might have if you decide to stick it out is finding somewhere to stay and you may not be that welcome as it gets worse turning up in villages or towns. I would suspect if you could find a small private aire, farm site or something similar out in the boonies and do a deal you might be ok but the situation is fluid. Not sure what I would do in your situation. If you do stay and find somewhere tucked away I would be tempted to stay there as long as possible.

Thanks Barry

Matrix Meanderer - 2020-03-21 11:50 AM

And for god's sake don't overnight on motorway car parks.

We all know not to do it but in these difficult times people may risk it.

Friends of ours did an epic drive from Vilanova Park to Calais in 22 hours. Stopped on a motorway service station to grab a few hours sleep and were broken into by scumbags. They managed to also cut the tensioned security strap but got nothing as all the activity woke our friends.

Difficult times are opportunities for these low life, so be extra careful where you sleep. 8-)

Thanks Ian. Yes the same happened to me just before I arrived here.

Solwaybuggier - 2020-03-21 8:14 AM

jumpstart - 2020-03-20 9:32 Pm

Shops are not empty and there are more toilet rolls available than sausage rolls.

Rubbish - plenty in the supply chain for now at least, but as soon as stuff like toilet rolls goes onto shelves people panic buy it.

? Isn’t that what I said?

Deffheads - 2020-03-21 9:36 AM

QUOTE: when you get back you are required to self isolate for 14 days no contact with anyone physically

I believe this advise for people with symptoms of the virus, not a given command for UK residents returning from abroad.

you are correct it's not a command from the powers that be

but really!!! you have just come back from the 2nd most infected country in Europe after Italy, I would be self isolating because I don't want it on my Conscious that I might have killed someone!

This situation illustrates the lie of united Europe. When the sxxx hits the fan, the retreat to nationalism is stark.NO British to clog up Spanish or French medical facilities thank you, or breathe our air for that matter.

silverback - 2020-03-20 9:03

when you get back you are required to self isolate for 14 days no contact with anyone physically

I do not think this is correct. What is the source of your information?

According the UK-GOV web site the obligation to self isolate applies to "people with symptoms that may be caused by coronavirus".

I understand this to mean that if people returning from Spain to the UK do not have any symptoms they are not obliged to self isolate at all.

Unfortunately there is an over-abundance of information being passed around some of which is incorrect and therefore most unhelpful.

Casimir - 2020-03-21 6:26 PM

when you get back you are required to self isolate for 14 days no contact with anyone physically

According the UK-GOV web site the obligation to self isolate applies to "people with symptoms that may be caused by coronavirus".

I understand this to mean that if people returning from Spain to the UK do not have any symptoms they are not obliged to self isolate at all.

Unfortunately there is an over-abundance of information being passed around some of which is incorrect and therefore most unhelpful.

As yet it's not compulsory here though i think it should be. A Russian doctor who contracted Covid-19 whilst away in Spain faces a criminal investigation after she returned back to her country but failed to disclose the trip or self-isolate as required after returning home.

Spain is a very high risk country to be returning from.

https://tinyurl.com/vajff4w

Casimir - 2020-03-21 6:26 PM

look at the post above yours, i have no source! lets be clear it is the right thing to do! we have just come back from Spain we have 2 days left of self isolation, we have no symptoms , I have not passed the virus on therefore I have not killed anyone! we are prepared to do 6 months if need be, but we will not be responsible for 1 death!!! you can do what you like because you won't be anywhere near us or my family, because they are trying the same, and don't come to Yorkshire!!

sorry if that offends anyone I AM NO EXPERT!!! but a responsible human being and not one of the i'm all right jack brigade,

stay safe everyone I've had enough!!

PS it is only my opinion, now i'm off on a pub crawl around the house cos the wife has hidden my tinnies!

:D

Perhaps we can put the ‘responsibility’ issue to one side and try to concentrate on what Trevor might expect should he make it to the French Channel coast and cross to the UK with his campervan using a ferry or the Tunnel.

The most recent (18 March) information from EuroTunnel is here:

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travelling-with-us/latest/covid-19/

and says

Travel from France to the UK:

Our passenger shuttle services continue to operate but the shops and cafés in our terminal building in France have had to close due to new French regulations. There are no current restrictions by the authorities on travel from France to the UK.

Shuttles:

Our shuttles are operating, and customers are required not to leave their cars to comply with “social distancing” advice from both Governments. Please note that we are advising all customers to use toilet facilities on our terminals before travel, as they are no longer available on the shuttles.

The ferry operators providing Calais-Dover crossings seem to be operating ’normally’.

Current GOV.UK France-related advice is here

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france

I can’t find anything to suggest there might be ‘health’ checks on travellers entering the UK via ferry or EuroTunnel, but I’ve no idea what Border Force checks are taking place on the UK side for travellers arriving in vehicles.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-03-22 8:27 AM

Perhaps we can put the ‘responsibility’ issue to one side and try to concentrate on what Trevor might expect should he make it to the French Channel coast and cross to the UK with his campervan using a ferry or the Tunnel.

The most recent (18 March) information from EuroTunnel is here:

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travelling-with-us/latest/covid-19/

and says

Travel from France to the UK:

Our passenger shuttle services continue to operate but the shops and cafés in our terminal building in France have had to close due to new French regulations. There are no current restrictions by the authorities on travel from France to the UK.

Shuttles:

Our shuttles are operating, and customers are required not to leave their cars to comply with “social distancing” advice from both Governments. Please note that we are advising all customers to use toilet facilities on our terminals before travel, as they are no longer available on the shuttles.

The ferry operators providing Calais-Dover crossings seem to be operating ’normally’.

Current GOV.UK France-related advice is here

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france

I can’t find anything to suggest there might be ‘health’ checks on travellers entering the UK via ferry or EuroTunnel, but I’ve no idea what Border Force checks are taking place on the UK side for travellers arriving in vehicles.

Thanks Derek

htrevor - 2020-03-20 7:40 PM

Hi

Hope that this is the right place to post this but I am rather desperate at the moment and would be thankful for any advise.

I am in a campsite in Torredembarra Spain between Barcelona and Valencia. I arrived last Friday and the day after they shut all campsites in Spain to new arrivals. I was quite happy to stay there for as long as possible and self isolate as there were only 3 campers there after everybody left. Now I have been told that the campsite must close completely in 2 days time. There is a complete lockdown in Spain I was stopped by two policemen walking along the huge beach with no other people on it. So it will be difficult to travel around and if wild camping will probably be hounded by the police. Cannot understand why they are turfing everyone out , surely it would have been better to keep all the campers within the sites and avoid unnecessary travel. Even if I managed to successfully make it to England I do not have a home to go to as it is being let at the moment. I have seen that there are camper sites open in the Uk but that might change anytime like it has here. Also should mention that I am full time campervaning for the next 8 months, or hoped to be.

This situation is unprecedented, nobody knows, we can only offer speculation.

People shouldn't tell you what to do without understanding your personal circumstances, but they will :D

But AFAIK Nobody can order you to return to the UK.

But since Spain has always been more tolerant to motorhomers, and there is more room to spread out in, I see no reason why that should change.

curdle - 2020-03-21 5:45 PM

This situation illustrates the lie of united Europe. When the sxxx hits the fan, the retreat to nationalism is stark.NO British to clog up Spanish or French medical facilities thank you, or breathe our air for that matter.

For your information, we have left the EU

(Which effectively means we have to keep paying and abiding by their rules, but no longer have a seat at the table or any say in the rules we are still bound by.)

teccer1234 - 2020-03-21 10:07 AM

I didn't realise that you had to have 1 form for each day of travel, can't you just use the same form for the (in my case 3 days travel)?

===========================================================================

somebody wrote you need 1 copy for each day

=====================================

I'll answer my own question with this taken from the french gov site, nowhere does it say you need 1 copy for each day.

The French Government outlined new measures on 16 March to stem the spread of coronavirus. This includes limiting travel to journeys that are absolutely necessary, effective from midday 17 March for an initial period of 15 days. Necessary journeys include to purchase food, to seek medical care, urgent family reasons including childcare or assisting vulnerable people, journeys to work where working from home is not possible, or to exercise.

Anyone making such a journey will need to download and complete an “attestation” or declaration certifying their reason for travel. You are able to handwrite and sign a similar declaration if you are unable to access printing facilities."""""" Please note you must carry a physical copy of the declaration; electronic versions will not be accepted.""""""""

We returned from Spain last Sunday as the Spanish authorities were closing their border on the Monday morning.

Bonterra Park was refusing any new arrivals, there was panic buying in the supermarkets, bars and shops were being made to close. So what reason was there to stop any longer other that stubborn stupidity?

We filled the fuel and LPG tanks just before crossing in to France.

The nights were spent sleeping on rest areas with the HGV's as usual (I wouldn't sleep on one of the glorified picnic areas). All refuelling was paid for at the pump with the keypad with card being wiped and hands cleaned with sanitiser before and after use.

The only officialdom we encountered was at one toll booth where one police officer was checking the paperwork of the driver in front. When she noticed our registration plate we were just waved through with a smile THEY WANT US OUT!

A late evening Eurotunnel crossing was booked on the way back. No checks by the French, passport etc by the Brits. On arrival at Folkestone we never saw a soul.

"Travel pass

All people leaving their homes must carry a signed form, or attestation, explaining where they are headed and why. A different form is needed for each outing. Failure to produce one will result in a fine."

My friends in Limoges say they need one for each outing, which may be more than one a day.

They can't print off a generic one to use more than once. It has to explain where they are going and why.

Billggski - 2020-03-22 11:14 AM

"Travel pass

All people leaving their homes must carry a signed form, or attestation, explaining where they are headed and why. A different form is needed for each outing. Failure to produce one will result in a fine."

My friends in Limoges say they need one for each outing, which may be more than one a day.

They can't print off a generic one to use more than once. It has to explain where they are going and why.

Yes, you are correct. The form is only valid for one trip out. Each day I have to write, date and sign a new one just to walk the dog. Why? To try and stop people from abusing the system.

Now I must go and write myself a note so I can take the dog out.

htrevor - 2020-03-22 9:06 AM...……………………….

Thanks Derek

I think you may be wise to contact the nearest British embassy or consulate and seek their advice. My assumption would be that you will need a Spanish and French declaration form, but that your journey would count as a single journey while within each country even if it spans more than one day in each country. I think I'd focus on aires etc in preference to campsite (because the campsites will be shut, whereas many aires lack proper barriers) while in transit. I hope you have assess to adequate sources of information to find these, otherwise possibly try overnighting discreetly at larger supermarket car parks. Try to brim everything before you leave, and aim to cover the ground as quickly as possible consistent with staying alert. But, don't forget that on toll motorways you will leave evidence of when you enter and when you pass toll stations, so the duration and speed of your journey will be visible!

Best of luck.

Conrad - 2020-03-20 9:10 PM

If it's any help, the Camping and Caravan Club has just sent a message to members that their sites will stay open, albeit with no facility blocks.

Suggest buy as many loo rolls as you can on your way back, can make a fortune when you get here as shops are empty!!

Good luck, enjoy the scenery on the way - every cloud.....

Sites shut now. (22/3/20/0

Just for general information for those travelling north back home there is a large, flat and free aire at Girolles, just off the N20 north of Toulouse. It will hold about 20 - 30 vehicles, caravans and cars. It is out of the way and clearly signed. I would not expect that aire to be closed but if it is there is an unofficial large parking area next to the Stade and alongside the river.

If you are going up the N147 in the Poitiers area there are free aires at Bussiere-Poitevin. Take the right turn onto the D942 signed Bussiere-Poitevin centre and you see the aire on your right as you pass the Bussiere-Poitevin sign on entering the town. Again t will take 20 - 30 vehicles and caravans would not be turned away. I was there yesterday and while the service point was closed, the aire was open. There is another free aire at Lussac-les-Chateaux just after you leave the centre on your left. and before you cross the river. I would expect that to stay open whereas the other aire in town centre might be closed.

John52 - 2020-03-22 4:14 PM

curdle - 2020-03-21 5:45 PM

For your information, we have left the EU

(Which effectively means we have to keep paying and abiding by their rules, but no longer have a seat at the table or any say in the rules we are still bound by.)

No. You have not.

Edited Grisolles, not Girolles

Nicepix - 2020-03-22 4:12 PM

Just for general information for those travelling north back home there is a large, flat and free aire at Grisolles, just off the N20 north of Toulouse. It will hold about 20 - 30 vehicles, caravans and cars. It is out of the way and clearly signed. I would not expect that aire to be closed but if it is there is an unofficial large parking area next to the Stade and alongside the river.

If you are going up the N147 in the Poitiers area there are free aires at Bussiere-Poitevin. Take the right turn onto the D942 signed Bussiere-Poitevin centre and you see the aire on your right as you pass the Bussiere-Poitevin sign on entering the town. Again t will take 20 - 30 vehicles and caravans would not be turned away. I was there yesterday and while the service point was closed, the aire was open. There is another free aire at Lussac-les-Chateaux just after you leave the centre on your left. and before you cross the river. I would expect that to stay open whereas the other aire in town centre might be closed.

There are two aires near to the village where we live, just off the A20 and yes they are not fenced off as closed , but they have signs on both saying due to coronavirus NO OVERNIGHT PARKING. Also l would say that travelling through France with a caravan or motorhome is going to attract a little attention.

Archived