Stranded in Spain (pt 2)

htrevor

Hi Trevor,

I may be too late with this but just in case, it may be worth you looking at this government link.

Link to Gov.uk

Amongst other information there is a letter referring to caravan parks, part of which says:

“On Tuesday the Government published guidance outlining a list of circumstances in which businesses providing holiday accommodation should stay open. In particular, I want to make clear that where caravan and park home sites are housing people who would otherwise have nowhere to live, or are providing accommodation to key workers or vulnerable groups, such as homeless households, through arrangements with local authorities and other public bodies, they should remain open to those groups only and not remove them from their homes. The site should remain closed to those who are not key workers or vulnerable groups.”

The letter is dated 27 March. So perhaps enquiring of Local Councils as to open caravan parks in their area?

I understand that the Caravan Club is looking at keeping some sites open. May be worth talking to them and also the C&CC. But this is hearsay.

I wish you well and stay safe.

Cattwg :-D

(Edit to shorten link - Keithl)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted a week or so ago about some of the free French aires that could be used for overnight stays by anyone travelling back home to the UK from Spain.

In the last three days I have been out and about at work, travelling through four Departments and many of the free aires are still open and available to camping-cars. There are a few obvious long-term, not full-timers, but people who are sitting out the current situation in some of the free municipal aires that have working water and sewage dumping facilities. There are also quite a few British vans on the road possibly going to and from the supermarkets to re-stock.

The situation in France is that we are in lock-down until at least 15th April. After that it has been hinted that normality will be gradually re-introduced. I was stopped for the first time this morning and it was a very brief, cursory check. I had all my paperwork, but didn't need any of it.

The sites I am talking about are free aires run or offered by the Municipality. There is one near us in the grounds of the Mairie that allows three nights free parking with electricity and water provided. There has been a Dutch or Belgian registered camping-car there for over two weeks. Also, in a small town in 16 there are two large car parks in the middle of the town where campers can park overnight for no charge and there have been three long term stayers there for over ten days. Another location that is out in the sticks on the edge of a small village also has a resident van that was there when I passed two weeks ago.

aandy - 2020-03-29 11:18 AM

There are taps outside the public conveniences on the beach, which may well still be working.

Thats the first place I would look too. Otherwise some filling stations have taps, as do many cemeteries and churchyards have mains taps for flower watering. Before anyone moans about using those taps remember we are talking about someone who is in need and can't get on proper campsites, so lets cut them a bit of slack.

As this situation is going to continue for some time, I think the OP could do with finding something slightly "settled"?..

Does anyone know if he has actually chased up any of these links/locations that have been suggested?

If I were him, if they've drawn a blank, and if "the authorities" couldn't offer any suggestions location-wise, then I'd be looking at fruit/veg picking/sorting, somewhere that would enable me to remain pitched up on site...

I wouldn't want to be scratting around looking for laybys, taps and manhole covers, and being constantly moved on for the next 2-3 (more?) months! :-S

Archived