Stranded in Spain (pt 2)

htrevor

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Derek.

I have heard it is going to close also. I really do not understand why they want to do this. The motorhome section of this huge general car park is tucked away in a corner with about 20 parking bays. Since I’ve been here it’s usually only about a 1/2 full with about 4 other full time vanners besides myself self isolating.Why do they feel that they want to throw us out onto the road where the possibility of finding somewhere else with water and toilet disposal are almost impossible especially with these anti motorhome marches on the rise. There are no staff required except for rubbish disposal and we pay them £7 a day. The first part of the form that you supplied baffles me even more “Motorhome facilities will be closed to prevent motorhomers self isolating”. Surely the government would want people to ideally self isolate in the far corner of a large car park where this is no regular contact with other people, rather than be driving around the streets! “......prevent Motorhomers self isolating” why! What reason can they possibly have for shuttting it down. Just over 2 weeks ago I was enjoying myself in Spain. We understandably were told to leave and go back to our countries as soon as possible, where being a citizen we would be better looked after especially if we caught the virus. Now I am home the situation is even worse, being hounded out of places for no reason, closing all large campsites throughout the UK.....why? Why not leave the full timers there , without staff and just close the toilets? I really am feeling now as though I have become a social pariah

/second class citizen and I am sure that there are many others out there feeling the same way.

htrevor,

Something you might like to consider regards looking for a place to safely self isolate. Last night i viewed a YouTube clip uploaded by a Brit campervan owner who had to leave Portugal and filmed his enroute journey back to UK.

One of the comments posted was a viewer offering 'sanctuary' to park up on his two acres of ground. And that offer came just from him simply uploading a YT clip.

htrevor - 2020-03-27 2:10 PM....................I really do not understand why they want to do this. The motorhome section of this huge general car park is tucked away in a corner with about 20 parking bays. Since I’ve been here it’s usually only about a 1/2 full with about 4 other full time vanners besides myself self isolating. Why do they feel that they want to throw us out onto the road where the possibility of finding somewhere else with water and toilet disposal are almost impossible especially with these anti motorhome marches on the rise. There are no staff required except for rubbish disposal and we pay them £7 a day. The first part of the form that you supplied baffles me even more “Motorhome facilities will be closed to prevent motorhomers self isolating”. Surely the government would want people to ideally self isolate in the far corner of a large car park where this is no regular contact with other people, rather than be driving around the streets! “......prevent Motorhomers self isolating” why! What reason can they possibly have for shuttting it down. Just over 2 weeks ago I was enjoying myself in Spain. We understandably were told to leave and go back to our countries as soon as possible, where being a citizen we would be better looked after especially if we caught the virus. Now I am home the situation is even worse, being hounded out of places for no reason, closing all large campsites throughout the UK.....why? Why not leave the full timers there , without staff and just close the toilets? I really am feeling now as though I have become a social pariah/second class citizen and I am sure that there are many others out there feeling the same way.

There is a difference between self-isolation (the term the council has used), which I understand as the stage reserved for those who have as yet undiagnosed symptoms, and social distancing, which is what the rest of are advised to adhere to, is a way to minimise the unwitting spread of the virus by those of us who have no symptoms, but may nevertheless be carrying/incubating the virus. Not trying to split heirs, but I wonder whether the council is saying self-isolate advisedly and might take a different attitude if persuaded that you are social distancing and without symptoms, rather than self isolating with symptoms?

I assume the council is merely reacting to complaints from residents that visitors present an additional health risk to them. It's just a long shot, but 01227 862000 is the 'phone number for the City Council. I wonder if it might be worth contacting them as someone who is temporarily homeless to see if they would be willing to treat your stay on the park and ride as housing a homeless person?

Failing that, what about your home local authority where, after all, I assume you are paying (via your tenants) council tax, to see if they have or can suggest anywhere you could stay until this blows over? After all, you have your own accommodation, so all you need is somewhere to park legally until you can regain access to your house.

At the extreme, would you be to serve notice on your tenants which, were you to do so, would possibly make them homeless instead - which prospect might sharpen minds a bit compared to just finding somewhere you could park your van? You are, after all, legitimately a refugee from Covid-19!

htrevor - 2020-03-27 2:10 PM

Just over 2 weeks ago I was enjoying myself in Spain. We understandably were told to leave and go back to our countries as soon as possible, where being a citizen we would be better looked after especially if we caught the virus. Now I am home the situation is even worse, being hounded out of places for no reason, closing all large campsites throughout the UK.....why? Why not leave the full timers there , without staff and just close the toilets? I really am feeling now as though I have become a social pariah

/second class citizen and I am sure that there are many others out there feeling the same way.

The situation on the Iberian peninsula is worse now than when you where there, on Wildcamping a member there had allowed a van to park on a patch of his land, that person has been told to leave Portugal within 24hrs or his van would be impounded and he would be fined.

Trevor

I guess Canterbury Council want to shove the problem onto someone else. Its probably not been helped by stories of motorhomers who are not full timers leaving their homes to go off to the highlands or other remote places where they are now definitely not welcome.

I Would just stay there as long as you can while formulating a plan. Bollox to the 48 hr thing. Definitely join the wildcamping.co.uk site. Ive been on there as a full member for 12 years and its full of full timers and plenty of knowledge of wild spots and places to stay etc. Someone may pick up your thread and PM you something. If you do join and post a thread post a link on here.

Are there any remote CL sites that you have used in the past that you might be able to "have a word" with the owner and see if they will take you? Im thinking, farmers. hopefully ones that are hidden as the locals in rural areas are not happy about incomers at the moment again mainly due to people taking the pish.

Good luck

Cheers Barry. That’s exactly what I think I will do and b*****ks to the 48 hour thing! Have tried one out of the way CL that I have used before. but no go. I am definitely going to look at the Wild amping site you recommended though.

Trevor,

Please can you shorten the quotes in your replies to just the parts relevant to your reply to prevent the thread from becoming incredibly long.

I for one find it very difficult to follow what is going on with multiple huge quotes.

Thanks in anticipation.

Keith (Assistant moderator).

Keith

Yes, I wondered about that and not sure what I’m doing wrong. I press quote in the bottom right corner and then clic the end of the quote when it comes up and then type my reply. When finished I press submit. What should I be doing please? I haven’t noticed multiple quotes before this thread.

htrevor - 2020-03-27 8:53 PM

Keithl - 2020-03-27 7:04 PM

Trevor,

Please can you shorten the quotes in your replies to just the parts relevant to your reply...

Yes, I wondered about that and not sure what I’m doing wrong. I press quote in the bottom right corner and then click the end of the quote when it comes up and then type my reply. When finished I press submit. What should I be doing please? I haven’t noticed multiple quotes before this thread.

Highlight and delete the sections you want to remove or shorten and it tidies things up tremendously.

I have removed a section of my post quoted above as an example.

Keith.

Where historical internet forum ‘etiquette’ and ‘procedure’ is concerned, a primary difficulty nowadays is that forum participants are using a variety of different devices.

I have an iMac desktop computer, an iPad tablet and an iPhone 7 smartphone. I can access these forums with any of those devices, but it is far easier for me to use the iMac than the iPad, and a lot easier to use the iPad than the iPhone. In fact, if I only had a smartphone, I would not bother to participate on these forums at all.

Putting on my Moderator hat, I’m not much concerned with ‘etiquette’. So if anyone uses capitals for EMPHASIS, or POSTS ALL IN CAPITALS (as occasionally happens) I don’t really care that this might be considered as SHOUTING. Using a smartphone may result in limited (or no!) punctuation and odd spelling, but as long as a post makes reasonable sense, that’s fine by me.

Postings that mostly consist of multiple ’nested’ quotes are untidy and can easily become confusing - one (ex) forum member was notorious for producing such masterpieces. But it’s more difficult with a tablet or smartphone to play about with ‘quoting’ than with a desktop or laptop computer.

If possible, rather than just using the ‘quote’ button, I suggest a forum member’s user ID be used as a reference instead (or the member’s name if they have ‘signed’ a posting).

I’ve mercilessly edited previous entries in this thread, just leaving a couple of ‘quotes' in place. As far as I can see the removal of the quotes has not harmed the discussion’s flow and readability

Just do your best. Don’t quote unless you must, but if I notice over-quoting is harming the thread’s readability badly I’ll do some judicious editing (and I’d expect Keith can do similarly).

Derek Uzzell - 2020-03-28 8:22 AM

Postings that mostly consist of multiple ’nested’ quotes are untidy and can easily become confusing - one (ex) forum member was notorious for producing such masterpieces. But it’s more difficult with a tablet or smartphone to play about with ‘quoting’ than with a desktop or laptop computer.

If possible, rather than just using the ‘quote’ button, I suggest a forum member’s user ID be used as a reference instead (or the member’s name if they have ‘signed’ a posting).

I’ve mercilessly edited previous entries in this thread, just leaving a couple of ‘quotes' in place. As far as I can see the removal of the quotes has not harmed the discussion’s flow and readability

Thanks Derek, I was contemplating some action this morning but you have beaten me to it!

Trevor,

I hope you did not take offence at my post but see Derek is in agreement with me requesting not to make multiple quotes in replies.

Keith.

htrevor - 2020-03-26 3:31 PM

Thanks Stuart.

I am currently at the Canterbury park & ride car park after overnighting. Thought that it would just do for the night as there wouldn’t be any facilities but there are. Drinking water tap, grey water drain, toilet block I am told which is open but haven’t checked it out and generally everything looks very clean, also very peaceful as only the occasional bus seems to be going into town. Took an exercise walk along the road and there is a fairly large Sainsbury’s there, not that I went in and a small post office also. The area is very nice as well, felt safe and none of the locals confronted me with their pitchforks so might stay here for a while. Main thing is I have water, so that will avoid me travelling around. Cost £7 per night which seems about right.

I've wild camped close to the seafront on the outskirts of every town in Kent. Margate Cliftonville looked about the easiest - I even saw dropped caravans there, with Dover by far the most difficult.

Keithl - 2020-03-28 9:50 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2020-03-28 8:22 AM

Thanks Derek, I was contemplating some action this morning but you have beaten me to it!

Trevor,

I hope you did not take offence at my post but see Derek is in agreement with me requesting not to make multiple quotes in replies.

Keith.

Still don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I am not making multiple quotes as far as I’m concerned. As I said I press the quote button in the bottom right corner and then one clic at the end of “quote” before typing my reply. Oh hang on just realised what you might be saying. If I reply to the post before yours., I should delete the quote he is replying to. Is that correct?

Trevor

I believe Keith is just suggesting that, if using the Quote feature can be avoided without harming a posting, this will help a forum thread’s readability and flow. But whatever is easiest for you to do when posting, that’s fine. Don’t worry about formatting or ‘prettiness’ - Keith or I can edit forum threads if we feel this would be really beneficial.

The effect of extreme ‘nested’ quoting can be seen in the later postings of this Chatterbox forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/General-Chat/Chatterbox/Calls-for-NHS-volunteers/54721/

htrevor - 2020-03-28 11:26 PM

...Oh hang on just realised what you might be saying. If I reply to the post before yours., I should delete the quote he is replying to. Is that correct?

Yes, just delete all the unnecessary text from within the 'quotes'.

Just make sure you still have one pair of opening and closing 'quotes'.

Thanks,

Keith.

"I've wild camped close to the seafront on the outskirts of every town in Kent. Margate Cliftonville looked about the easiest - I even saw dropped caravans there, with Dover by far the most difficult."

There have been several long termers parked along the seafronts at Westgate (Sea Road), Westbrook (Royal Esplanade) and Ramsgate (Victoria Parade) for some months now, and although I believe it contravenes some local bye-law nobody seems to bother them or move them on. Not been to Ramsgate for some weeks, so don't know the current situation there, but there are still a few at Westgate and Westbrook. They have had the sense to pick spots where they are not directly in front of houses, which may be why they have got away with it.

Where it might be difficult is with water and waste. There are taps outside the public conveniences on the beach, which may well still be working, but the conveniences themselves are closed as are, I believe, all of the conveniences in Thanet.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-03-29 9:31 AM

Trevor

I believe Keith is just suggesting that, if using the Quote feature can be avoided without harming a posting, this will help a forum thread’s readability and flow. But whatever is easiest for you to do when posting, that’s fine. Don’t worry about formatting or ‘prettiness’ - Keith or I can edit forum threads if we feel this would be really beneficial.

The effect of extreme ‘nested’ quoting can be seen in the later postings of this Chatterbox forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/General-Chat/Chatterbox/Calls-for-NHS-volunteers/54721/

Crikey, I see what you mean. I will keep an eye on my next few replies, but go easy on me for while until I sort it out. Thanks

aandy - 2020-03-29 11:18 AM

"I've wild camped close to the seafront on the outskirts of every town in Kent. Margate Cliftonville looked about the easiest - I even saw dropped caravans there, with Dover by far the most difficult."

There have been several long termers parked along the seafronts at Westgate (Sea Road), Westbrook (Royal Esplanade) and Ramsgate (Victoria Parade) for some months now, and although I believe it contravenes some local bye-law nobody seems to bother them or move them on. Not been to Ramsgate for some weeks, so don't know the current situation there, but there are still a few at Westgate and Westbrook. They have had the sense to pick spots where they are not directly in front of houses, which may be why they have got away with it.

Where it might be difficult is with water and waste. There are taps outside the public conveniences on the beach, which may well still be working, but the conveniences themselves are closed as are, I believe, all of the conveniences in Thanet.

Thanks Andy

Archived