Running the engine in storage - is it really necessary?

StuartO

My MH is in storage alongside the house and It's SORNed, so I can't take it out for a decent run every month or so, which is what I usually do in winter.  I therefore either run the engine while stationary, which from experience means at least 30 mins to get up to temperature, or just leave it alone.

We can all say what we do or what we guess is better but is there any evidence-based, expert view of the better way to optimise your engine's service life? 

I remember the Army, which used to have large numbers of vehicles in long term storage (eg the Green Goddess Fire Engines).  Does anyone know what they used to do?

I store my van in a barn in Sweden for 8 months a year. I try and get someone to start it every couple of months but only enough to circulate the oil and then shut it down. I used to rebuild engines and have seen cylinder bores start to rust as well as camshaft lobes etc when engines have been stood for long periods without oil circulating.

Keithl - 2020-03-31 10:05 AMStuart,Have read of this thread from a couple of days ago...https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Catalytic-Converter-/54735/Keith.

Thanks Keith, I hadn't looked at that thread because my MH doesn't have a catalyic converter.

Archived