Coronavirus tracked

Bulletguy

John52 - 2020-04-09 7:13 AM

Bulletguy - 2020-04-08 3:23 PM

UK had it's worst day with yet another highest recorded figure of 936 taking the total to 7,172. :-(

after a brief look at how the official daily death figures are being recorded I have stopped taking them seriously :-S

It’s interesting that the average daily number of deaths is actually no higher than any other year.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jumpstart - 2020-04-08 7:25 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-04-08 6:32 PM

jumpstart - 2020-04-08 6:02 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-04-08 5:50 PM

malc d - 2020-04-08 4:45 PM

jumpstart - 2020-04-08 4:12 PM

UK had it's worst day with yet another highest recorded figure of 936 taking the total to 7,172. :-(

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-britains-coronavirus-death-toll-21834235#source=push

Time a full proper lockdown was implemented. Paris has now banned outdoor exercise such as walkers, joggers etc between 10am - 7pm with hefty fines for any flouting it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-paris-lockdown-exercise-outdoor-times-a9452331.html

For a City fine.

Very true.

If someone lives in a cottage in the middle of Dartmoor, with no neighbours, why should they be totally " locked down " ?

:-|

No comparison to a town or city such as Paris though Malc......which that article was about! ;-)

Isolated cottages/farms are easy for the occupants to handle, but few live in that type of environment. Shetland islands, Orkneys and Outer Hebrides have recorded just one death from coronavirus. It's fairly remote!

You don’t have to be that remote, our walk today started at 8.30 finished at 1.30 ,11 miles of public footpaths and some lanes. Apart from one woman on a horse and a tractor we never saw a soul. This is South Somerset. Number of confirmed cases in Somerset 114. So must be doing something right.

Why is it your exempt from the 1 hour exercise guidance time that our Government has suggested ??? ... Matters not how many folk you came across on your walk as you couldn't possibly know if you would see 1 or 100 before setting off ... If I had your address I would report you , maybe Bullet has it as hes good at getting addresses of members on here ... Shame on you for your utterly selfish actions

There is no time limit on exercise according to the government guidelines,it also says if you meet anyone keep 2m apart. So l have complied .I have a Paramedic next door who often says “ have a good walk” and two police officers opposite. How Daft are you?

What does the paramedic telling you to have a good walk have to do with anything ... Government tells us to minimise the time out of our homes ... If you believe taking a 5 hour walk falls into that then you truly are daft and more than that your selfishly putting others at risk

Birdbrain - 2020-04-09 9:24 AM

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-britains-coronavirus-death-toll-21834235#source=push

Time a full proper lockdown was implemented. Paris has now banned outdoor exercise such as walkers, joggers etc between 10am - 7pm with hefty fines for any flouting it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-paris-lockdown-exercise-outdoor-times-a9452331.html

For a City fine.

Very true.

If someone lives in a cottage in the middle of Dartmoor, with no neighbours, why should they be totally " locked down " ?

No comparison to a town or city such as Paris though Malc......which that article was about! ;-)

Isolated cottages/farms are easy for the occupants to handle, but few live in that type of environment. Shetland islands, Orkneys and Outer Hebrides have recorded just one death from coronavirus. It's fairly remote!

You don’t have to be that remote, our walk today started at 8.30 finished at 1.30 ,11 miles of public footpaths and some lanes. Apart from one woman on a horse and a tractor we never saw a soul. This is South Somerset. Number of confirmed cases in Somerset 114. So must be doing something right.

Why is it your exempt from the 1 hour exercise guidance time that our Government has suggested ??? ... Matters not how many folk you came across on your walk as you couldn't possibly know if you would see 1 or 100 before setting off ... If I had your address I would report you , maybe Bullet has it as hes good at getting addresses of members on here ... Shame on you for your utterly selfish actions

There is no time limit on exercise according to the government guidelines,it also says if you meet anyone keep 2m apart. So l have complied .I have a Paramedic next door who often says “ have a good walk” and two police officers opposite. How Daft are you?

What does the paramedic telling you to have a good walk have to do with anything ... Government tells us to minimise the time out of our homes ... If you believe taking a 5 hour walk falls into that then you truly are daft and more than that your selfishly putting others at risk

The General Store is 5miles ,that’s a 10 to 11 mile round trip. The Butcher is a 3.5 mile walk,the Farm shop is a 4.5 mile walk all in different directions all across fields and some lanes. We are allowed to shop, but not allowed to drive and walk. So the exercise is to the shop. No others are put at risk any more than anyone else going for a walk. It would be very helpful to most on the forum if you went for a walk ....and got lost.

jumpstart - 2020-04-09 9:51 AM

For a City fine.

Very true.

The General Store is 5miles ,that’s a 10 to 11 mile round trip. The Butcher is a 3.5 mile walk,the Farm shop is a 4.5 mile walk all in different directions all across fields and some lanes. We are allowed to shop, but not allowed to drive and walk. So the exercise is to the shop. No others are put at risk any more than anyone else going for a walk. It would be very helpful to most on the forum if you went for a walk ....and got lost.

Its more important to keep people apart and not out for long in crowded areas so I see no reason if your out in the sticks why you couldnt walk around all flipping day if you wanted to. Maybe the government should have been stricter on lock down rules but I think they are still operating a bit of their herd immunity plan by stealth. If they really wanted to lock us down properly they could have done that but they have not. Time will tell if this was a huge mistake or not. Within the next couple of weeks I suspect.

Ive been going out for short bike rides, sometimes a couple of times in a day but i could cycle for miles out here if I was fit enough and not encounter anyone. You sometimes come across a villager in the lanes and you might have a chat but everyone is super cautious and keeps at least 5 metres or more apart. Ive never had so many conversations out in the actual village but all of them are from across gardens or even across the road. We are pretty much self policing ourselves out here and its working so far perfectly.

jumpstart - 2020-04-09 8:12 AM

It’s interesting that the average daily number of deaths is actually no higher than any other year.

Thats another flaw - when someone dies who has Covid 19 and underlying health conditions that could also have killed them, we don't know which it was but we automatically blame Covid19.

Barryd999 - 2020-04-09 10:40 AM

their herd immunity plan

their herd immunity plan could have been less damaging than what we have now - especially if it remains the only way we can beat it because no other cure is found. The economy is more important than the nhs - because with a bust economy there will be no nhs - and no food in the shops etc. At least with the herd immunity plan some people could choose for themselves whether to self isolate or not.

But by choosing herd immunity, then doing a U turn after the virus has taken hold, we have got the worst of both worlds. Then to cap it all we have a Government constrained by an incapacitated PM clinging on to power, and his no deal Brexit deadline......

Could be a Spitting Image sketch, if it wasn't so serious. :-(

...............................................................….

There is no time limit on exercise according to the government guidelines, it also says if you meet anyone keep 2m apart. So l have complied .I have a Paramedic next door who often says “ have a good walk” and two police officers opposite. How Daft are you?

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding here. The virus is spread by physical, or close, contact between people, one of whom is infected. The objective is to eliminate, as far as possible, the spread of the virus.

The snag is that no-one knows whether they are infected until they develop symptoms. Some, apparently, do not develop symptoms, or have such mild symptoms that they don't realise they are infected. It also appears that those infected, including those with no or mild symptoms, can still carry sufficient of the virus to infect others. In effect, no-one can tell whether they, or anyone else, are infectious. Catch 22?

So, the rule of thumb is to absolutely minimise contact with others, and where some contact is unavoidable, to maintain a distance of 2 metres from others. Hence we are advised to generally stay at home, and to restrict our outings to the minimum possible (note, minimum possible: not minimum desirable, or minimum convenient, to us).

The permissible exceptions are well explained by the government. The biggest risks, common to us all, being shopping for food - and that additional, rather vague, relaxation for "exercise".

Shopping poses multiple two way risks. First that we, un-noticed by us, may be incubating the virus, so are a threat to others, and vice versa. Second, that people who suspect they are infected may be trying to shop to stock-up before self-isolating or quarantining. Third, that shop staff may be in either of the previous categories. Logically, therefore, one should shop as infrequently as possible, in an environment that minimises invading that two metre safety zone around ourselves and others. Where that environment best resides depends on where we live, and on what shopping opportunities we can reasonably access.

Exercise is more difficult, because it means different things to different people. For some, cycling, for some, running, for some a long walk, for others a stroll around the block. The point is that whatever form it takes, it should be conducted so as to minimise contact with others, and especially contact at less that 2 metres distance.

Pepe, for example, was working up a ladder, within the curtilage of his own property, re-pointing his wall - which seems to me to fulfil all objectives. He is working alone so is not in contact with others - unless his postman climbs up behind him to personally deliver his mail! He is also presumably getting some exercise out of doors. Win-win! :-)

John, OTOH, seems to me on less secure ground. He says of his shopping trips: "The General Store is 5miles ,that’s a 10 to 11 mile round trip. The Butcher is a 3.5 mile walk, the Farm shop is a 4.5 mile walk, all in different directions, all across fields and some lanes. We are allowed to shop, but not allowed to drive and walk." (I think this last is actually incorrect: we are not allowed to drive to walk) "So the exercise is to the shop. No others are put at risk any more than anyone else going for a walk."

So is this the win-win John sees? The implication is that one walk will be to the butcher, one to the farm shop, and one to the general store. So lots of exercise. He says he will meet few, if any people, en-route. So far so good. But what about when he gets to the various shops? Will others be in the shops? How does he select, and pay for, his purchases? Do goods and money change hands? Does he therefore shop frequently, bearing in mind that he has to carry his purchases home afterwards, so presumably keeps his loads reasonably light? Would he actually have less contact with other people if he shopped at his nearest supermarket to which he travelled by car, which he then loaded fully, only returning when low on supplies - but no more frequently than once per week?

Just asking, not taking sides, and merely reacting to what seems to have become somewhat competitive virtue signalling. After all, there are two sides to all coins. :-D

For a City fine.

Very true.

Aaaah so now you were shopping all of a sudden ... Of course you were

John52 - 2020-04-09 11:08 AM

jumpstart - 2020-04-09 8:12 AM

Thats another flaw - when someone dies who has Covid 19 and underlying health conditions that could also have killed them, we don't know which it was but we automatically blame Covid19.

I happen to know two people in their 90’s who died last week in nursing homes. As far as I know not covid19 ,but unless they are tested who would know?

John52 - 2020-04-09 11:19 AM

Barryd999 - 2020-04-09 10:40 AM

their herd immunity plan

their herd immunity plan could have been less damaging than what we have now - especially if it remains the only way we can beat it because no other cure is found. The economy is more important than the nhs - because with a bust economy there will be no nhs - and no food in the shops etc. At least with the herd immunity plan some people could choose for themselves whether to self isolate or not...……………….

I don't think that was the comparison. The comparison seemed to me to start off there, but to change rapidly, though not very clearly, once the epidemiologists pointed out what developing herd immunity meant in terms of deaths and infection rates - especially when NHS resource capacity in terms of beds, PPE, and testing capacity, plus the consequential staff attrition due to the virus, were taken into account.

I think the stark images of mass burials, and doctors having to decide who, on admission, should be treated, and who left to recover or die, and the possible public reaction to those measures in a democracy, with the rest of the world looking on, provoked hitherto dormant imaginations into life. Once they could see the dystopian nightmare pursuing the herd immunity approach, they adopted the least worst approach of trying to restrict the rate of spread while accepting consequent economic damage. It will cost us an arm and a leg - but we shall at least be able to eat with a spoon and hop! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-04-09 12:05 PM

...............................................................….

There is no time limit on exercise according to the government guidelines, it also says if you meet anyone keep 2m apart. So l have complied .I have a Paramedic next door who often says “ have a good walk” and two police officers opposite. How Daft are you?

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding here. The virus is spread by physical, or close, contact between people, one of whom is infected. The objective is to eliminate, as far as possible, the spread of the virus.

The snag is that no-one knows whether they are infected until they develop symptoms. Some, apparently, do not develop symptoms, or have such mild symptoms that they don't realise they are infected. It also appears that those infected, including those with no or mild symptoms, can still carry sufficient of the virus to infect others. In effect, no-one can tell whether they, or anyone else, are infectious. Catch 22?

So, the rule of thumb is to absolutely minimise contact with others, and where some contact is unavoidable, to maintain a distance of 2 metres from others. Hence we are advised to generally stay at home, and to restrict our outings to the minimum possible (note, minimum possible: not minimum desirable, or minimum convenient, to us).

The permissible exceptions are well explained by the government. The biggest risks, common to us all, being shopping for food - and that additional, rather vague, relaxation for "exercise".

Shopping poses multiple two way risks. First that we, un-noticed by us, may be incubating the virus, so are a threat to others, and vice versa. Second, that people who suspect they are infected may be trying to shop to stock-up before self-isolating or quarantining. Third, that shop staff may be in either of the previous categories. Logically, therefore, one should shop as infrequently as possible, in an environment that minimises invading that two metre safety zone around ourselves and others. Where that environment best resides depends on where we live, and on what shopping opportunities we can reasonably access.

Exercise is more difficult, because it means different things to different people. For some, cycling, for some, running, for some a long walk, for others a stroll around the block. The point is that whatever form it takes, it should be conducted so as to minimise contact with others, and especially contact at less that 2 metres distance.

Pepe, for example, was working up a ladder, within the curtilage of his own property, re-pointing his wall - which seems to me to fulfil all objectives. He is working alone so is not in contact with others - unless his postman climbs up behind him to personally deliver his mail! He is also presumably getting some exercise out of doors. Win-win! :-)

John, OTOH, seems to me on less secure ground. He says of his shopping trips: "The General Store is 5miles ,that’s a 10 to 11 mile round trip. The Butcher is a 3.5 mile walk, the Farm shop is a 4.5 mile walk, all in different directions, all across fields and some lanes. We are allowed to shop, but not allowed to drive and walk." (I think this last is actually incorrect: we are not allowed to drive to walk) "So the exercise is to the shop. No others are put at risk any more than anyone else going for a walk."

So is this the win-win John sees? The implication is that one walk will be to the butcher, one to the farm shop, and one to the general store. So lots of exercise. He says he will meet few, if any people, en-route. So far so good. But what about when he gets to the various shops? Will others be in the shops? How does he select, and pay for, his purchases? Do goods and money change hands? Does he therefore shop frequently, bearing in mind that he has to carry his purchases home afterwards, so presumably keeps his loads reasonably light? Would he actually have less contact with other people if he shopped at his nearest supermarket to which he travelled by car, which he then loaded fully, only returning when low on supplies - but no more frequently than once per week?

Just asking, not taking sides, and merely reacting to what seems to have become somewhat competitive virtue signalling. After all, there are two sides to all coins. :-D

All the ordering and payment done on line or by phone, pick up goods next day. Never seen anyone out side the butcher, as for the other places you queue outside at allotted spaces but not seen anyone there also. We could drive, we could drive to a supermarket,but they were mayhem twoweeks ago so the local shops stepped up and are doing a good job. So we prefer to walk .

jumpstart - 2020-04-09 5:40 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-04-09 4:32 PM

More idiots like those who go out for long walks taking half the day ... https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-police-shut-down-494-house-parties-in-four-days-in-greater-manchester-11971032 ... hardly surprising we still have large numbers dying of the China Virus ... Ridiculous

Not in Somerset we don’t.

Not in my village either ... Point is ???

Apparently Johnsons father has ignored government guidance on essential travel and gone off to his second home in Devon.

Essential travel does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays. People must remain in their primary residence. Not taking these steps puts additional pressure on communities and services that are already at risk.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/covid-19-essential-travel-guidance

Bulletguy - 2020-04-09 6:00 PM

Apparently Johnsons father has ignored government guidance on essential travel and gone off to his second home in Devon.

Essential travel does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays. People must remain in their primary residence. Not taking these steps puts additional pressure on communities and services that are already at risk.

Chuckle ... That causes the old piles to flair up but this one doesnt/didnt ... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-52154327 ... Hate on Princess

Birdbrain - 2020-04-09 6:07 PM

Chuckle ... That causes the old piles to flair up but this one doesnt/didnt ... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-52154327 ... Hate on Princess

Yes 'chuckle' indeed......you really should read your own links more thoroughly. *-)

Birmingham City Council limits mourners at a funeral to six, but there is no national guidance.

West Midlands Police confirmed it was called to Sutton New Hall Cemetery following reports of a large crowd of people.

"On arrival, officers found approximately 15 people socially-distanced into family groups, therefore no action was taken," the force said.

Unlike second homes where the guidance is clear.

Bulletguy - 2020-04-09 6:16 PM

Yes 'chuckle' indeed......you really should read your own links more thoroughly. *-)

Birmingham City Council limits mourners at a funeral to six, but there is no national guidance.

West Midlands Police confirmed it was called to Sutton New Hall Cemetery following reports of a large crowd of people.

"On arrival, officers found approximately 15 people socially-distanced into family groups, therefore no action was taken," the force said.

Six you say ... https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/police-issue-warning-mp-tahir-18038507 ... Chuckle on sweet cheeks ... Going to condemn ??? ... Bet you dont

jumpstart - 2020-04-09 1:17 PM…………………………...

All the ordering and payment done on line or by phone, pick up goods next day. Never seen anyone out side the butcher, as for the other places you queue outside at allotted spaces but not seen anyone there also. We could drive, we could drive to a supermarket,but they were mayhem twoweeks ago so the local shops stepped up and are doing a good job. So we prefer to walk .

Sounds good. Well done them. Definitely a win-win! :-)

Birdbrain - 2020-04-09 6:20 PM

Six you say ... https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/police-issue-warning-mp-tahir-18038507 ... Chuckle on sweet cheeks ... Going to condemn ??? ... Bet you dont

What bit of the bolded do you not understand? And what part of government guideline on travelling to second homes do you not understand? I seem to recall you crowing with glee a few days ago about a Scottish doctor who did exactly the same as Johnsons father. Do Tories have some kind of special exemption?

Bulletguy - 2020-04-09 6:38 PM

What bit of the bolded do you not understand? And what part of government guideline on travelling to second homes do you not understand? I seem to recall you crowing with glee a few days ago about a Scottish doctor who did exactly the same as Johnsons father. Do Tories have some kind of special exemption?

Of course they do. Its like fecking Stockholm syndrome. They can do no wrong it seems for a large section of the population.

She was a Scottish MP ... Our PMs father is just that his father ... I take it your not going to condemn then ??? ... Your full of hate

Short answer they were both in the wrong and so is anyone who does the same.

While I'm at it herd immunity is arrived at by the young infirm sick and old in the herd dying about 25% so what is 25% of the population (?) It was a stupid idea fortunately discarded.

Barryd999 - 2020-04-09 6:44 PM

Of course they do. Its like fecking Stockholm syndrome. They can do no wrong it seems for a large section of the population.

Hate on Barry ... Remind us again who you campaigned and voted for ???

Birdbrain - 2020-04-09 6:54 PM

She was a Scottish MP ...

No she was never an MP. She was the Chief Medical Officer for Scotland from 2015 to 2020.

Our PMs father is just that his father ... I take it your not going to condemn then ??? ... Your full of hate

I'm fully aware of who he is as is clearly shown in my post which you quoted, and yes of course i condemn him for flagrantly breaking government guidelines. You didn't answer my question on the matter of whether Tories have some kind of special exemption from going to their second homes?

Archived