Is Brexit dead?

spospe

Barryd999 - 2020-04-21 10:33 PM

Looks like Cruella Patels Points based immigration system has been binned.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/government-shelves-priti-patel-s-immigration-bill-house-of-commons-1-6616651

Perhaps Free movement of people was a good idea after all? Who knew eh?

8-)

I never saw immigration as a problem it was mainly the press stirring things with the Brexit issue. The rest of the EU is junk ,as it is proving.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
spospe - 2020-04-22 9:40 AM

Many observers have said that the timescale to deliver a good Brexit (by the end of 2020) is very tight and that was before Covid-19 struck.

Since the virus and its problems are occupying all the attention at the moment (just look at the News on TV if in doubt), do you think that a good Brexit deal is possible before 31 December 2020?

My personal guess is that politicians of all shades and nationalities regard Brexit as a distraction they can live without and possibly will push for an extension to the end of 2021.

What say you?

My feeling is there is not a hope in hell of getting any kind of deal before the end of the year. It seems preposterous to even consider it and believe the EU have pretty much diplomatically as possible of course said the same. Their focus is on Covid and so should ours be.

However its a get out of jail free card gift for the hard liners and Johnson. They can crash us out now with nothing which lets face it was the plan for most of them all along and everything that happens thereafter can be blamed on Coronavirus. They wont even have to think of ways to blame Labour for a change. Public may or may not fall for that. Seems at least two thirds want a delay but Im sure Johnson will be able to convince them otherwise. Its like he has some kind of magic spell.

Birdbrain - 2020-04-22 9:14 AM

Barryd999 - 2020-04-22 8:15 AM

Birdbrain - 2020-04-22 6:12 AM

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/government-shelves-priti-patel-s-immigration-bill-house-of-commons-1-6616651

8-)

Says delayed ... Is that the same as binned

Well lets hope so eh seeing as we desperately need immigrants to pick our food and save our lives.

We've always needed immigrants for that and for years managed without the EU and open borders to fill those positions ... The same open borders fill our prisons , courts , police cells n'all ... Side issue for you I know

A side issue for most I bet now.

Barryd999 - 2020-04-22 10:52 AM

8-)

Well lets hope so eh seeing as we desperately need immigrants to pick our food and save our lives.

We've always needed immigrants for that and for years managed without the EU and open borders to fill those positions ... The same open borders fill our prisons , courts , police cells n'all ... Side issue for you I know

Crimes a side issue ... Maybe ask those affected by it ... Talking of needing immigrant fruit pickers ... https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11442480/brits-fruit-picking-jobs-rejected-cheaper-foreigners/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebaramp ... Seems our farmers are picky when it comes to Brits

Birdbrain - 2020-04-22 12:12 PM

8-)

Crimes a side issue ... Maybe ask those affected by it ... Talking of needing immigrant fruit pickers ... https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11442480/brits-fruit-picking-jobs-rejected-cheaper-foreigners/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebaramp ... Seems our farmers are picky when it comes to Brits

Yeah I saw the Sun article. Hmm. The Sun. :-(

We have been through this several times. The benefits of Freedom of movement far outweigh the downside of a few of them being a bit dodgy. Sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth and as time will tell, removing Freedom of movement will cost us dearly.

Guest pelmetman
spospe - 2020-04-10 4:50 PM

So we all agree that Brexit is off and that we should be agreeing an extension of our leaving the EU?

Nope :D ............

The EU only want an extension so they can carry on getting us to shovel £350 million quid a week into their economic black hole *-) .........

Just as COVID19 has proved ;-) ..........

When the virus hits 8-) ........

It's every country for themselves (!) .........

Talking of needing immigrant fruit pickers ... https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11442480/brits-fruit-picking-jobs-rejected-cheaper-foreigners/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebaramp ... Seems our farmers are picky when it comes to Brits

That's not what the agencies and farms offering employment say...thats just what the Sun says.

Concordia, one of the three recruitment companies in the alliance, said: “To date 900 people have explicitly rejected the roles we have offered and 112 have taken up our offer of a role on a UK farm.”

It said the main barriers were the length of the contract, location of the farm, and inability to work full-time because of care responsibilities.

Another recruitment firm in the alliance, Hops, said only 9% of those who had completed the recruitment process were eligible for the job.

“Some are saying they cannot commit to 40 hours a week, some can only commit for a few weeks whereas some roles can be full time for eight weeks and some can be up to six months,” said Sarah Boparan, the operations director at Hops.

Seems to me the only ones "being picky" are the British offered fruit/veg picking work NOT the farmers.

https://tinyurl.com/ycjv459d

https://tinyurl.com/yawt6twj

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-04-22 12:41 PM

8-)

We have been through this several times. The benefits of Freedom of movement far outweigh the downside of a few of them being a bit dodgy. Sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth and as time will tell, removing Freedom of movement will cost us dearly.

The difference is those plane loads of veg pickers will not become a drain on our social system, schooling, housing or prisons.......because they no longer have a "right" to remain ;-) ...........

pelmetman - 2020-04-22 2:55 PM

8-)

The difference is those plane loads of veg pickers will not become a drain on our social system, schooling, housing or prisons.......because they no longer have a "right" to remain ;-) ...........

But they never were a drain on our social system, schooling, housing or prisons. Over the past four years you were shown time and time again just how the opposite was true about EU Migrants that on average they contributed more to our economy than your average Brit or even more than a none EU migrant. Pity you chased them all away, even bigger pity you chased away thousands of EU NHS staff as well.

Barryd999 - 2020-04-22 4:38 PM

8-)

But they never were a drain on our social system, schooling, housing or prisons. Over the past four years you were shown time and time again just how the opposite was true about EU Migrants that on average they contributed more to our economy than your average Brit or even more than a none EU migrant. Pity you chased them all away, even bigger pity you chased away thousands of EU NHS staff as well.

Instead of getting all your info from your bedroom why dont you ask those that live in areas with high numbers of EU migrants if we have "chased them all away" because my town hasn't changed , my East European shops havent closed ... If they have all gone whose using those shops ???

Birdbrain - 2020-04-22 5:11 PM

8-)

Instead of getting all your info from your bedroom why dont you ask those that live in areas with high numbers of EU migrants if we have "chased them all away" because my town hasn't changed , my East European shops havent closed ... If they have all gone whose using those shops ???

Are they still open? I bet your glad of em now if they are huh?

Whats wrong with east European shops anyway?

Whichever way you dress it up we chased away thousands of NHS workers and now we have nobody to pick our crops.

Barryd999 - 2020-04-22 6:55 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-04-22 5:11 PM

8-)

Are they still open? I bet your glad of em now if they are huh?

Whats wrong with east European shops anyway?

Whichever way you dress it up we chased away thousands of NHS workers and now we have nobody to pick our crops.

Eh ... Who said there was owt wrong with em ??? ... Your silliness obviously as usual means you have no reasoned response ... "now we have nobody to pick our crops" ... Lordy my what a full time hater you are

Is the EU dead more like ??? ... https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1272371/eu-news-coronavirus-italy-coronabonds-germany-netherlands-polls-italexit-spt ... Thats the feeling in Italy now , in a couple of months when the financial consequences of China Virus start to really hit the Italians then they are going to be pretty annoyed ... The crooked club with their crooked leader are going to have to splash the cash and team UK aint the golden tit anymore ... Oh dear ... Summers going to fun

Guest pelmetman

8-)

Have we stopped the useful ones from coming? ;-) ..........

Obviously not :D ..........

pelmetman - 2020-04-23 8:27 AM

8-)

Well I dunno about you but a 96% drop in NHS nurse applications and literally thousands of them leaving to go and work in other EU countries and citing Brexit as a reason since the Brexit vote sounds to me a bit like we have stopped the useful ones coming. Well not "we", you. To be honest, I can live without fruit or cabbages but if I get coronovirus and get it bad Im not sure I can live without vital nurses.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-04-23 8:50 AM

pelmetman - 2020-04-23 8:27 AM

8-)

Well I dunno about you but a 96% drop in NHS nurse applications and literally thousands of them leaving to go and work in other EU countries and citing Brexit as a reason since the Brexit vote sounds to me a bit like we have stopped the useful ones coming. Well not "we", you. To be honest, I can live without fruit or cabbages but if I get coronovirus and get it bad Im not sure I can live without vital nurses.

There are only 27 countries left in the EU ;-) ..........

There are 166 countries that aren't B-) .......

Your whinging doesn't add up :D .........

pelmetman - 2020-04-22 2:50 PM

When the virus hits 8-) ........

It's every country for themselves (!) .........

So why has Germany donated 60 ventilators to us?

And why doesn't BoJo make as much use of EU grants to fly our folks home?

pelmetman - 2020-04-23 8:57 AM

It certainly "adds up" when the insane cheerleaders of Brexit sold you turkey xenophobes stopping immigration and ending FoM, neither of which as you were told back in 2016 is feasible or logical as has now been proved, with the increase of non-EU coming into UK. Qualified NHS nursing staff are a valuable asset and as we've lost 96% which you're so flippantly dismissive of, you have no problem in losing 96% of any asserts you own?

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-04-23 3:37 PM

It certainly "adds up" when the insane cheerleaders of Brexit sold you turkey xenophobes stopping immigration and ending FoM, neither of which as you were told back in 2016 is feasible or logical as has now been proved, with the increase of non-EU coming into UK. Qualified NHS nursing staff are a valuable asset and as we've lost 96% which you're so flippantly dismissive of, you have no problem in losing 96% of any asserts you own?

Would you like to prove we have lost 96%? ;-) .........

Barry's data is so 2017.......and related to applications :D ........

BTW shouldn't we be training our own rather than stealing medical staff from other countries? :-| ........

pelmetman - 2020-04-23 3:48 PM

It's about time you began disproving reports you don't like rather than reverting to your usual silly ad hominems all the time. *-)

BTW shouldn't we be training our own rather than stealing medical staff from other countries? :-| ........

We already do with the vast percentage being white British but that still does not excuse the loss of many EU medical professionals that no longer feel welcome in this country post referendum.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/workforce-and-business/workforce-diversity/nhs-workforce/latest

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-04-23 9:05 PM

pelmetman - 2020-04-23 3:48 PM

It's about time you began disproving reports you don't like rather than reverting to your usual silly ad hominems all the time. *-)

So as per usual you fail to back up your fake news *-) ...........

How very Bullet :D .........

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-04-23 10:36 PM

This Tory government also removed the Nursing Bursaries remember contributing to the 100000 (or whatever the figure is now) shortage of key NHS staff. Add to that the thousands of EU NHS staff that have left and you can see why there is a problem.

......and Boris reinstated them B-) .......

https://news.sky.com/story/first-victory-in-campaign-to-restore-student-nurse-grants-11889437

Still bitter Barry? >:-) .........

Back to the thread title Is Brexit dead?

Well lets look at what we have got so far

We are still making the same payments and bound by the same EU rules. The only thing that has changed is we no longer have a seat at the table or any say in the rules we are bound by. And since we are no longer in on the meetings we have to employ more people to try and find out second-hand whats being decided for us Can anyone claim we are better off now than we were as a member *-)

So its not about whats best for us.

Its about whats best for BoJo.

We left just so BoJo can say we have left

Thats why he is determined to take us out at the end of the year, whatever the cost to us.

And, despite the majority voting for parties that support a second referendum, BoJo has an 80 seat majority with his minority of the votes.

So the answer has to be No - Brexit isn't dead.

Archived