Crazed skylight

stevec176

Guest pelmetman

It's prolly a Fiamma ;-) .......

You used to be able buy just the crazed bit :D ......

But if that's suffering degradation then I'd replace the whole lot like I did 4 years ago B-) ......

That said I doubt the new ones I fitted will last 25+ years *-) ........

stevec176 - 2020-04-27 1:37 PM

When washing my van I noticed that the roof skylight in my shower cubicle has somehow crazed so I want to replace it while everything is quiet. 2 questions, where is the best place to buy one and how easy are they to replace?

My 2015 Rapido’s toilet/shower compartment has (as it says in the Rapidio User Manual) a single-glazed Thule Omnistor “Omnivent” 40cm x 40cm rooflight

(advert here that also carries a downloadable installation-instructions file)

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan/rooflights/omnivent

If your shower-cubicle rooflight is the same as mine, it’s probable that you can obtain a replacement ‘dome’ (though it might well cost nearly as much as a complete rooflight unit) and - I would have thought - replacement should not be too difficult.

However, the Omnivent rooflight is a horrid, cheap nasty thing (the dome on mine has ‘yellowed’) and, rather than replace the Omnivent dome or rooflight, instead I’d fit a Dometic/Seitz Mini-Heki “Style” unit. A bit more expensive (Shop around!) but much superior IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Adria twin (2004) with a discoloured roof light. The van is Spanish and lives in the Spanish sun which can, and does) destroy anything plastic. Apart from replacing would a coat of paint (white) help to protect it from the sun ?

regards, Mike

This YouTube video of a Rapido 665F

shows the shower compartment and the small rooflight is the same as my 640F’s..

My 2015 Rapido User Manual includes an “Openings” chapter (Chapter IX) that includes a “Small skylights, Omnistore, Seitz, Fiamma” section.

The Omnistor rooflight is single-glazed, clearly vulnerable to UV, needs to have its ‘safety lock’ engaged before travelling, opening/closing is laborious and its blinds have springs like a rat-trap. The only reason (other than sheer bloody-mindedness) I can think of why Rapido might chosse to fit this rooflight in the shower-room is that it might be rust proof - though I would have thought that the Dometic/Seitz Mini-Heki would be OK in that respect.

A replacement white or translucent ‘dome’ (complete with operating mechanism) evidently costs around £70, while a transparent dome costs around £110.

Pemetman’s avatar image is attached below.

It looks perfectly innocuous to me, unless the ‘comedy’ involves him having included a caravan in the photo - but he has said often enough that, when in Spain, he has a car + caravan there as well as his beloved Autohomes ‘van.

I notice that the ‘Real name’ of “Mystic Gut” shown in Pelmetman’s forum Profile, when GOOGLE-ed, does retrieve an odd entry

https://mysticgut.tumblr.com/

but I’m not sure if that’s relevant.

p1020046.jpg.8aa80bc9f4ec522b92f61196571472df.jpg

Following a PM about this, I now understand that the complaint is not about Pelmetman’s avatar photo, but about the image that appears if one goes into Pelmetman’s forum Profile and clicks on “This user has a photo available” that is beneath the avatar photo.

I’ve PMed Pelmetman and told him that, if the image is not removed (or edited to remove the “F*****G” word ) by 12-noon today I’ll report him to the forum Administrator and suggest that he gets banned permanently from these forums.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2020-05-15 8:39 AM

Following a PM about this, I now understand that the complaint is not about Pelmetman’s avatar photo, but about the image that appears if one goes into Pelmetman’s forum Profile and clicks on “This user has a photo available” that is beneath the avatar photo.

I’ve PMed Pelmetman and told him that, if the image is not removed (or edited to remove the “F*****G” word ) by 12-noon today I’ll report him to the forum Administrator and suggest that he gets banned permanently from these forums.

If folk are offended by Anglo saxon swear words ;-) .........

Best avoid the local school gate 8-) .......and looking at my profile :D ........

I quite like Pelmetmans picture of the revised Stay Alert poster as I think the sentiment is spot on and I am not offended by the Anglo Saxon wording but I would agree that it is probably best not to include this as your permanent avatar as it could be seen by some, including me I would say, as uneccessarily provocative.

Guest pelmetman
Don636 - 2020-05-15 10:06 AM

I quite like Pelmetmans picture of the revised Stay Alert poster as I think the sentiment is spot on and I am not offended by the Anglo Saxon wording but I would agree that it is probably best not to include this as your permanent avatar as it could be seen by some, including me I would say, as uneccessarily provocative.

It appears so does the system :D .........

As when I try to replace it ;-) ........

It comes back??? :-S ......

Any suggestions Derek U (?) ........

Guest pelmetman
Keithl - 2020-05-15 10:18 AM

Dave,

Your picture under 'other photos' has now gone so all is good.

Are you now trying to change your avatar picture and failing?

Keith.

I'm trying to replace it in "other photo's" :-| .........

But everytime I try to upload another picture it comes back? :-S .........

Just seeing if I can upload to a post......yep :D .........

P1010992.JPG.c39a49bb1c00473c6769c5a5b80b08ff.JPG

Guest pelmetman
Den - 2020-05-15 11:49 AM

I like your self portrait ??

Yeah.......I'm a natural air head :D ........

Archived