Role reversals - a teaser.

Brian Kirby

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-01 4:02 PM

pelmetman - 2020-05-01 3:09 PM.............................

Easy ;-) ...........

1 Boris and OUR government (Which you despise so much) is doing just as well or better than many similar sized EU countries B-) .......

2 So why aren't you Losers slagging of Italy or Spain or France?.......As if we didn't know (lol) (lol) (lol) ......

1 On what count? Name them, and say how we are doing as well as, or better than, them. Or are you no more than a Tory claquer? :-D

2 To what end? Are you really trying to argue that picking holes in other countries' performances somehow amounts to patriotism? Are you sure that isn't just your comfort blanket?

Come on Dave, I said put up arguments, not half-baked tweets!

1...I'd rather be a Tory claquer than a EU lacky ;-) ..........I like democracy >:-) .........

2...Come off it Brian......The forums Loser Brigades partisanship is bleedin obvious *-) ........

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-01 4:52 PM

Tracker - 2020-05-01 4:23 PM........................….

Mr Brown's balls ups.

That covers a multitude of sins, Rich. Anything in particular in mind?

My favourite Gordon moment ...

... Kind of said so much about him

pelmetman - 2020-05-01 5:43 PM

Easy ;-) ...........

1 Boris and OUR government (Which you despise so much) is doing just as well or better than many similar sized EU countries B-) .......

2 So why aren't you Losers slagging of Italy or Spain or France?.......As if we didn't know (lol) (lol) (lol) ......

1 On what count? Name them, and say how we are doing as well as, or better than, them. Or are you no more than a Tory claquer? :-D

2 To what end? Are you really trying to argue that picking holes in other countries' performances somehow amounts to patriotism? Are you sure that isn't just your comfort blanket?

1...I'd rather be a Tory claquer than a EU lacky ;-) ..........I like democracy >:-) .........

2...Come off it Brian......The forums Loser Brigades partisanship is bleedin obvious *-) ........

1 So do I, what makes you think otherwise Claquer?

2 So, no argument at all, then. Which means I win by default. So long, Loser. :-D

Birdbrain - 2020-05-01 5:58 PM

Mr Brown's balls ups.

But not that he was factually wrong. I don't think that gaffe quite qualifies on the scale that Rich and I were discussing.

Easy ;-) ...........

I'd rather be a Tory claquer than a EU lacky ;-) ..........I like democracy >:-) .........

So much that you supported a campaign which blatantly subverted it!! 8-) 8-)

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-01 6:22 PM

Easy ;-) ...........

2 So, no argument at all, then. Which means I win by default. So long, Loser. :-D

(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol) :D

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-01 6:25 PM

Mr Brown's balls ups.

But not that he was factually wrong. I don't think that gaffe quite qualifies on the scale that Rich and I were discussing.

You believe she was/is a bigot ??? ... With respect you dont know anything about what Richard was discussing because youve already asked him to explain

Birdbrain - 2020-05-01 6:30 PM

Mr Brown's balls ups.

1 You believe she was/is a bigot ??? ...

2 With respect you dont know anything about what Richard was discussing because youve already asked him to explain

1 Come on Antony, little grey cells! :-D I said that what that gaffe says about Brown does not extend to him being wrong. He met the woman, not me (or you), so was better placed to judge than either of us. Oh, in case that is not quite clear enough, no, it does not mean I think her a bigot. On that subject have no opinion either way.

2 Richard and I are having a discussion that began with the OP, which you merely pronounced boring. My comment to you related to the scale of events that we were discussing, not one politician's public gaffes. So, with equal respect, the reason I asked Richard what he had in mind when he referred to "Mr Brown's balls ups" is because I was intrigued as to which sin/s he had in mind. Only if he is kind enough to say, will we know whether it relates to the gaffe you highlighted. Only then will we know whether it ranks on the scale of events we had previously been chewing over.

After so many years in power both as Chancellor and as PM to leave the country in such a financial mess was unforgivable.

I am no political expert, history is a thing of the past as far as I am concerned, but my perception of his policies throughout to borrow to fund ever more generous benefits rather than raise taxation smacks more of a desperation to retain power than prudent financial control.

Then to blame his government's lack of prudence on global events was the icing on that nasty little cake - but I am happy to be proven wrong by any afficianados of the past who may know better?

Given the events of 2020 maybe it was just as well that the Cameron/Osborne dream team did cut government spending?

I don't know - you tell me - but the best time to save for a new roof is when it ain't hissing with rain?

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-01 7:00 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-05-01 6:30 PM

Mr Brown's balls ups.

1 You believe she was/is a bigot ??? ...

2 With respect you dont know anything about what Richard was discussing because youve already asked him to explain

1 Come on Antony, little grey cells! :-D I said that what that gaffe says about Brown does not extend to him being wrong. He met the woman, not me (or you), so was better placed to judge than either of us. Oh, in case that is not quite clear enough, no, it does not mean I think her a bigot. On that subject have no opinion either way.

2 Richard and I are having a discussion that began with the OP, which you merely pronounced boring. My comment to you related to the scale of events that we were discussing, not one politician's public gaffes. So, with equal respect, the reason I asked Richard what he had in mind when he referred to "Mr Brown's balls ups" is because I was intrigued as to which sin/s he had in mind. Only if he is kind enough to say, will we know whether it relates to the gaffe you highlighted. Only then will we know whether it ranks on the scale of events we had previously been chewing over.

He met her and all was captured on film , he thought her a bigot based on the evidence of the film and thankfully you dont , but he in his wisdom did ... I cant see anything that makes her a bigot just as you cant but dont you think that totally kind of sums up the Brown/Blair years ??? ... As in anyone who dared to question was labelled ???

Guest pelmetman

Easy ;-) ...........

1......Staying in the EU are we? ;-) ........

2......Nope.....so there's no need to argue .......Coz the score is.......

Democracy Won..... Losers Nil Poi (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

pelmetman - 2020-05-01 10:02 PM

Easy ;-) ...........

1......Staying in the EU are we? ;-) ........

2......Nope.....so there's no need to argue .......Coz the score is.......Democracy Won..... Losers Nil Poi (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

1 I'm surprised that you missed it Dave, but we have left, as of 31/1/2020. No straight banana there! :-D

2 Oh yes there is, because we started from here:

Brian Kirby - 2020-04-30 4:36 PM

pelmetman - 2020-04-29 8:58 PM.......................

What Covid19 has shown ;-) ......Is where our UK haters lurk ............

Dave, you being hyperbolic! :-D I reckon I can make a better case for you being a UK hater, than you can for me being one. So, you first, since it's your charge. :-D

So your job, as above, remains to present your argument supporting your own claim that "Covid19 has shown where our UK haters lurk". So, come on, chop, chop. Remember, no argument = Dave loses. No straight banana there either, so far. Good luck with that! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-03 3:44 PM

So your job, as above, remains to present your argument supporting your own claim that "Covid19 has shown where our UK haters lurk". So, come on, chop, chop. Remember, no argument = Dave loses. No straight banana there either, so far. Good luck with that! :-D

Good luck with getting anything like a commonsense answer from him too! You'll be lucky to get anything other than a few inane tweet like one liners. :-|

Guest pelmetman

You forget ;-) .........

As you have pointed out :D ........

We have already left the EU (lol) (lol) (lol) ........

So I've already won >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2020-05-03 6:55 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-04-30 4:36 PM

That wasn't the question. Its just above. You said, as below:

pelmetman - 2020-04-29 8:58 PM.......................

What Covid19 has shown ......Is where our UK haters lurk ...........

You're supposed to be putting forward your argument in favour of Covid 19 showing where the UK hater lurk. Time for truth. You can't, can you? It was just meaningless twaddle.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-04 5:48 PM

You're supposed to be putting forward your argument in favour of Covid 19 showing where the UK hater lurk. Time for truth. You can't, can you?

He's here 8-) .......

Waldorf.jpg.7b76174b4d253ca0e9e8b923ec8b2091.jpg

pelmetman - 2020-05-04 5:50 PM

You're supposed to be putting forward your argument in favour of Covid 19 showing where the UK hater lurk. Time for truth. You can't, can you?

He's here 8-) .......

Chuckle

pelmetman - 2020-05-04 5:50 PM

He's here 8-) .......

So, as I suspected, nothing! :-D

Tracker - 2020-05-01 7:15 PM

After so many years in power both as Chancellor and as PM to leave the country in such a financial mess was unforgivable.

I am no political expert, history is a thing of the past as far as I am concerned, but my perception of his policies throughout to borrow to fund ever more generous benefits rather than raise taxation smacks more of a desperation to retain power than prudent financial control.

Then to blame his government's lack of prudence on global events was the icing on that nasty little cake - but I am happy to be proven wrong by any afficianados of the past who may know better?

Given the events of 2020 maybe it was just as well that the Cameron/Osborne dream team did cut government spending?

I don't know - you tell me - but the best time to save for a new roof is when it ain't hissing with rain?

Sorry Rich, I missed your reply in among all the meaningless babble! The figures don't appear to bear out your memory. Here's an interesting summary of the impact on the UK of the 2008 crash.

http://archive.learnhigher.ac.uk/resources/files/business%20comm%20awareness/The%20Financial%20Crisis%20and%20its%20Impact%20on%20the%20UK%20and%20other%20Economies.pdf Apologies, I can't put that one through TinyURL.

Second, here's a recent review of government borrowing since 1947 from the HoC library: https://tinyurl.com/yaucwmf7

The first Blair government was 1997, and the relevant borrowing record is on page 7. This shows that borrowing, and the interest on debt, decreased from roughly 1997 - 2000, reverting to around the pre-Blair average up to 2008. The biggest borrowing spike in both came post 2008, as the UK borrowed to bail out the "masters of the universe", AKA the banks.

Brown's failing , IMO, was that he failed to stamp down on the bank's lending practises prior to 2007, when all the private debt was accumulating on ridiculous terms, but neither side in the HoC at that time seemed keen to spoil the debt fuelled party. All the opposition whinged about then was Brown's "stealth" taxes, not the level of public and private borrowing, as both sides hoped to reap the popularity of the boom post election. Little did either side see the monster that was creeping up on them!

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-05 8:49 AM

Little did either side see the monster that was creeping up on them!

Yet you now think that Boris should have seen the pandemic monster and prepared the country better than our EU neighbours *-) ......

Selective hypocrisy eh? >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2020-05-05 9:17 AM

Yet you now think that Boris should have seen the pandemic monster and prepared the country better than our EU neighbours *-) ......

No, because the first person to "call" the 2008 crash in UK was Robert Peston. It wasn't until someone looked inside the collateralised debt obligations and saw the NINJA mortgages that had been fraudulently hidden in them, that the banks began to realises they had been trading trash. Then they panicked, Lehman crashed, and the rest is well recorded history. You could always look it up, instead of clutching straws.

Covid-19, OTOH, had been on the UK news since it first emerged in China in December 2019, and its spread into and around Europe was well documented and reported weeks before the UK began to wake up and fumble around looking for ways to deal with it - while changing as little as possible. Covid-10 was a rampaging monster in full view well before the UK began to take its threat seriously. You were in Spain (another of those countries that did so well), under your comfort blanket, for much of that time, weren't you?

I do expect high standards of performance from UK governments. I'm just surprised that you, as a self declared patriot, use some of the world's worst performing governments as your yardstick for comparing UK's performance. Sand, and head? Some patriot who refuses to see the defects in his own country and wants them righted.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-05 9:54 AM

pelmetman - 2020-05-05 9:17 AM

No, because the first person to "call" the 2008 crash in UK was Robert Peston. It wasn't until someone looked inside the collateralised debt obligations and saw the NINJA mortgages that had been fraudulently hidden in them, that the banks began to realises they had been trading trash. Then they panicked, Lehman crashed, and the rest is well recorded history. You could always look it up, instead of clutching straws.

Covid-19, OTOH, had been on the UK news since it first emerged in China in December 2019, and its spread into and around Europe was well documented and reported weeks before the UK began to wake up and fumble around looking for ways to deal with it - while changing as little as possible. Covid-10 was a rampaging monster in full view well before the UK began to take its threat seriously. You were in Spain (another of those countries that did so well), under your comfort blanket, for much of that time, weren't you?

I do expect high standards of performance from UK governments. I'm just surprised that you, as a self declared patriot, use some of the world's worst performing governments as your yardstick for comparing UK's performance. Sand, and head? Some patriot who refuses to see the defects in his own country and wants them righted.

Unlike you ;-) .........

I don't expect miracles :-| .......

I expect my country to do the best it can, and from under my comfort blanket I can see that it is B-) .......

Just as we can all see the motivation behind you and your mate Statler Remoaner biased Boris bashing :D ..........

pelmetman - 2020-05-05 10:08 AM

I expect my country to do the best it can, and from under my comfort blanket I can see that it is

Just as we can all see the motivation behind you and your mate Statler Remoaner biased Boris bashing :D ..........

Disregarding the (yawn!) silly names you need to use give you comfort, you are making another mistake in assuming an inalienable link between one's opinion of Brexit, and one's opinion of Boris. There is an obvious coincidence between the two, i.e Brexit = a bad idea, and Boris undoubtedly contributed to is realisation.

But, with or without Brexit, Boris is not someone I find remotely admirable. IMO, we would all have been much better off if he'd stuck to writing articles in newspapers of a certain type, and stayed out of politics. That way, the harms his irresponsibility cause are relatively limited. In politics, as with your blind faith in him, there is no limit.

Government doing the best it can? Well short of that, unless you are now accepting that "the best it can" is currently limited by the abilities of its cabinet, which for you can do no harm. In either event, it is not the best it could, nor the best it should.

But then you speak of bias. I try to remain objective and avoid bias. I am very suspicious of bias. You may note that I have never posted under the heading of "Boris, Boris, Boris" (or the name of any other politician of whatever party) so I think the allegation of bias is coming from a highly prejudiced source - i.e. you! Your bias is so great, so obvious, and so shallow an adherence to a single issue, that it defies understanding.

Loyalty can be an admirable trait, but blind loyalty is the hallmark of a fool. Try this, from Urban Dictionary: "............Blind loyalty involves a form of cognitive dissonance where a person sees evidence of a problem or bad behaviour and then turns a blind eye to the truth in favour of keeping a positive image of the person or cause.. …………...".

Specsavers? :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-05 11:25 AM

Loyalty can be an admirable trait, but blind loyalty is the hallmark of a fool. Try this, from Urban Dictionary: "............Blind loyalty involves a form of cognitive dissonance where a person sees evidence of a problem or bad behaviour and then turns a blind eye to the truth in favour of keeping a positive image of the person or cause.. …………...".

Specsavers? :-D

Nothing to do with blind loyalty ;-) ..........

If Boris doesn't deliver he'll get push, just like May :D ........

But so far he's doing an excellent job in my view B-) .........

The fact that he's also annoying the hell out of the Loser Brigade on here is just the cherry on the top (lol) ........

Archived