Still Eu citizens?

jumpstart

Guest pelmetman
mtravel - 2020-05-02 4:25 PM

---- Max obviously doesn't want us in the EU ---

I really don't care. It's not my problem.

It's your problem.

Or that 52% of you who will have to apologize to the remaining 48% in case things didn't turn out the way you think.

See the historical trend of your gross domestic product outside and inside the EU.

Surely you're not wanting to compares Italy's economy to ours? 8-) .........

Countries by GDP

1. United States

2. China

3. Japan

4. Germany

5. India

6. United Kingdom

7. France

8. Italy

9. Brazil

10. Canada

11. Russia

12. South Korea

13. Spain

14. Australia

15. Mexico

16. Indonesia

17. Netherlands

18. Saudi Arabia

19. Turkey

20. Switzerland

:D ..........

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mtravel - 2020-05-02 4:39 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-05-02 4:17 PM

Max.....there are too many Brits in France and Spain for my liking. Each to their own but when i was touring the last thing i wanted to see once i'd left UK was more Brits, English pubs, fish 'n chip shops or burger bars! I can see that every day here!

Whatever country i was in i wanted to discover their foods, culture and attempt to learn a few words (often poorly but at least i'd try!). Most of my touring was in East European countries. Perhaps my favourite was Poland where i'd been many times but in 2018 for the first time i visited Moldova where i spent two weeks. Ok the capital, Chisinau, is rough, but away from there in the country villages can be found some real gems and Moldovans are super friendly people.

This British guy is a real 'culture vulture' who travels extensively in lesser known countries and vlogs on YouTube and here is one he made on his first visit to Chisinau. Stick with it, all his vlogs are worth watching.

and this sort of hospitality to a random foreign tourist just would not happen here in UK!

Check out his vids on Belarus also. Very interesting.

With the exception of Belarus, Moldova and Bulgaria I have visited practically all the countries of the former Soviet bloc, including the Baltic States. I have been also in Russia as soon as the regime collapsed.

One of the options for next summer was Bulgaria, then the coronavirus came.

We'll see.

Max

P.S. Smiling. It turns out that some of you probably prefer fish & chips and junk food to a good paella or a huge Florentine steak.

What can I say ?

P.S. Smiling ... Me thinks your last comment sums you up perfectly ... What some folk prefer wether fish and chips or a good paella is what they "prefer" ... What that has to do with anything other than an attempt at cultural snobbery God only knows ... Personally I would prefer to eat a beautiful fresh fish or a nice 2 minute steak most nights to "junk food" but if "junk food" is your thing then so be it ... Mad Max

mtravel - 2020-05-02 4:25 PM

---- Max obviously doesn't want us in the EU ---

I really don't care. It's not my problem.

It's your problem.

Or that 52% of you who will have to apologize to the remaining 48% in case things didn't turn out the way you think.

See the historical trend of your gross domestic product outside and inside the EU.

Max., there is a whole world out there without the constraints of the Eu .

Tracker - 2020-05-02 10:32 AM…………………………….

Absolutely the way that many of us see it, but there ought to be a better way to build on this for the common good of all European nations than a politically motivated and very expensive beaureaucratic 'one size fits all' policy from Brussells, whose aim is a their version of equality where everyone is the same and those who have worked hard subsidise the lazy and inept?

Oh Rich! :-D

Politically motivated? How? What is this common politics?

Where do you actually see this "version of equality where everyone is the same and those who have worked hard subsidise the lazy and inept". Damned if I've seen it as we have travelled around. None of them (including us) can even make that work in their own countries, leave alone across the EU! You're 'avin' a larf, you are! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-03 4:40 PM

jumpstart - 2020-05-02 5:44 PM...………………..

But the question, surely, is not whether it exists, but whether it offers a better place in which to live?

Well it’s not really a question now, as we are launched,so it’s just wether we can grab it especially with everyone wrapped up in c-19.

jumpstart - 2020-05-03 5:19 PM

Obviously Max doesn’t have a good option on fish and chips but I’m slightly surprised if he doesn’t think there is junk food in Italy.

Speaking of which I believe we may have breached lockdown rules by driving for 12 minutes to pick up some fish and chips last night. My excuse, I am sick of cooking dinner every night in our household since lockdown began. To eat something someone else has cooked is nirvana to me.

Violet1956 - 2020-05-03 5:35 PM

Obviously Max doesn’t have a good option on fish and chips but I’m slightly surprised if he doesn’t think there is junk food in Italy.

Speaking of which I believe we may have breached lockdown rules by driving for 12 minutes to pick up some fish and chips last night. My excuse, I am sick of cooking dinner every night in our household since lockdown began. To eat something someone else has cooked is nirvana to me.

Can’t get any fresh fish anywhere near here.

Driving to get fresh fish and chips is essential travel.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-03 4:40 PM

jumpstart - 2020-05-02 5:44 PM...………………..

But the question, surely, is not whether it exists, but whether it offers a better place in which to live?

The option to move too the EU is still there Brian ;-) ........

Don't stay on my account :D ........

jumpstart - 2020-05-03 6:15 PM

Well we ordered from the Bridge Fish and Chip shop in Templecombe. Is that so far from you?

Violet1956 - 2020-05-03 6:27 PM

Well we ordered from the Bridge Fish and Chip shop in Templecombe. Is that so far from you?

The one in Milborne Port has been voted one of the best in the country but would be a 20 min drive. I think they are closed at present.

jumpstart - 2020-05-04 7:12 AM

The one in Milborne Port has been voted one of the best in the country but would be a 20 min drive. I think they are closed at present.

Open Thursdays and Fridays for pre-orders according to their website. Thanks for the tip. One day when this is all over we will be sure to make a visit.

https://somethingelsefishy.com/

We probably have junk food too.

Where I wouldn't even know seen we consider fast food chains just above the garbage.

And they are not so widespread over the country.

The town where I live (in the metropolitan area of Milan, sixty thousand inhabitants, say one hundred thousand with neighboring villages) can be a good example.

We have a Mc Donald and a Burger King.

Oh, no, due to lack of business, Burger King closed four years ago.

Kentucky Fried Chicken is extremely rare over the whole country and has never been seen here.

Starbucks is even rarer. Etcetera, etcetera.

Where do we eat?

Restaurants, from pretentious to family-run often called "trattoria".

Always and in any case Mediterranan diet, in some restaurants maybe a fairly elaborate one.

We have some fried food but it's a word we don't use much.

Even the "patatine", call them french fries, fried potatoes, chips or whatever you want are widespread but rarely asked.

As a side dish of the most diverse salads are much more used.

On working days, workers usually have lunch in company canteens, usually a Mediterranean diet often controlled by unions.

Those in a hurry, typically commercial and administrative employees in the big cities, may be satisfied with a snack.

Very seldom they go beyond ham & cheese sandwiches or toasts, tuna and tomato and the like.

Mineral water is much more consumed than beer or carbonated and sugary drinks.

A good measure of the concept of junk food could be the population's obesity rate.

A 2018 European ranking on The Sun claims Turkey first, Malta second and the United Kingdom third.

I find it hard to consider Turkey a European country (besides Kanakkale there is Asia), I would think of Malta irrelevant for statistical purposes.

There would remain a record to be not very proud of.

Yes, we probably have junk food.

Max

mtravel - 2020-05-04 11:08 AM

We probably have junk food too.

Where I wouldn't even know seen we consider fast food chains just above the garbage.

And they are not so widespread over the country.

The town where I live (in the metropolitan area of Milan, sixty thousand inhabitants, say one hundred thousand with neighboring villages) can be a good example.

We have a Mc Donald and a Burger King.

Oh, no, due to lack of business, Burger King closed four years ago.

Kentucky Fried Chicken is extremely rare over the whole country and has never been seen here.

Starbucks is even rarer. Etcetera, etcetera.

Where do we eat?

Restaurants, from pretentious to family-run often called "trattoria".

Always and in any case Mediterranan diet, in some restaurants maybe a fairly elaborate one.

We have some fried food but it's a word we don't use much.

Even the "patatine", call them french fries, fried potatoes, chips or whatever you want are widespread but rarely asked.

As a side dish of the most diverse salads are much more used.

On working days, workers usually have lunch in company canteens, usually a Mediterranean diet often controlled by unions.

Those in a hurry, typically commercial and administrative employees in the big cities, may be satisfied with a snack.

Very seldom they go beyond ham & cheese sandwiches or toasts, tuna and tomato and the like.

Mineral water is much more consumed than beer or carbonated and sugary drinks.

A good measure of the concept of junk food could be the population's obesity rate.

A 2018 European ranking on The Sun claims Turkey first, Malta second and the United Kingdom third.

I find it hard to consider Turkey a European country (besides Kanakkale there is Asia), I would think of Malta irrelevant for statistical purposes.

There would remain a record to be not very proud of.

Yes, we probably have junk food.

Max

I did laugh at your” probably”. Did you know that Rome has 40 McDonald’s.

World wide Italian restaurants are probably my favourite, but I can say I have had some very poor pizza in Italy. I would certainly consider Pizza restaurants fast food ,but that doesn’t mean they are bad. There are plenty of other types of fast food places in Italy. Maybe you need to tour more.

So having previously slagged off the gutter press in the Uk ,you now quote The Sun!

You are certainly Italian because everything Italian to you is fantastic and all things British to be frowned at.

You seem to be constantly angry that we are leaving the Eu, perhaps this is because you will have to pay more to get out less.

I think Italy is a lovely country.

Violet1956 - 2020-05-04 7:24 AM

Open Thursdays and Fridays for pre-orders according to their website. Thanks for the tip. One day when this is all over we will be sure to make a visit.

If you like fish you should also try the” Hive beach Cafe” near West Bexington and “ The Watchtower” in West Bay, fantastic crab sandwich.

jumpstart - 2020-05-04 11:45 AM

I did laugh at your” probably”. Did you know that Rome has 40 McDonald’s.

World wide Italian restaurants are probably my favourite, but I can say I have had some very poor pizza in Italy. I would certainly consider Pizza restaurants fast food ,but that doesn’t mean they are bad. There are plenty of other types of fast food places in Italy. Maybe you need to tour more.

So having previously slagged off the gutter press in the Uk ,you now quote The Sun!

You are certainly Italian because everything Italian to you is fantastic and all things British to be frowned at.

You seem to be constantly angry that we are leaving the Eu, perhaps this is because you will have to pay more to get out less.

I think Italy is a lovely country.

I mentioned the Sun on purpose, just because you accused me of considering it junk press. If it is not for you, accept its contents.

Read this https://www.lifeinitaly.com/business/mc-donalds.

Towards the end where it talks about "despite political and social adversity".

It's a vision of how we view fast food.

In any case Rome is not the correct example, either because it is a city of almost four and a half million inhabitants or because a huge mass of tourists every day.

As for pizza, 95% of pizzerias also serve as a restaurant.

In any case, we eat pizza maybe once a month.

Typically, even more rarely and in the evening with friends. Quite seldom at lunch.

I have worked abroad for years and know pizzas from all over Europe, including the UK and I can tell you that often with real pizza it has little to do.

The pizza must be strictly cooked in a wood-fired oven, its pasta must leaven 12 hours at least. Twenty-four hours is much better.

I remember my European financial manager, an Englishman who more English can't be complain because we didn't have pizza with steak.

Come on.

I love you and your country very much, for this reason and not for squalid economic reasons I am sorry that you left.

Just because I love your country I find hard not to criticize it in some aspect, remaining within a civil dialogue, I hope.

Without forgetting previous trips, I visited you (motorhoming) for a long time in 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2019.

Those who live in a place find it hard to see the changes, those who come occasionally notice them.

Just last year I met a staggering number of obese people who I didn't seem to notice before.

At least it was not so frequent that they crossed your walk.

When I say obese I mean someone Michelin Man style, sorry.

Probably an indication of a rather worrying trend.

That it is linked to your eating style I cannot say for sure, you will want to admit that I find it difficult to think otherwise.

Max

mtravel - 2020-05-04 12:52 PM

I love you and your country very much, for this reason and not for squalid economic reasons I am sorry that you left.

Just because I love your country I find hard not to criticize it in some aspect, remaining within a civil dialogue, I hope.

Max

Not an unreasonable hope Max, but Brits can be an argumentative bunch, often unable to debate logically and not needing any real reason to take an agressive attitude.

Tracker - 2020-05-04 2:22 PM

Max

Not an unreasonable hope Max, but Brits can be an argumentative bunch, often unable to debate logically and not needing any real reason to take an agressive attitude.

I usually have a positive attitude and always look on the bright side of life. The latter for sure.

Max

Guest pelmetman
mtravel - 2020-05-04 3:29 PM

Tracker - 2020-05-04 2:22 PM

Max

I usually have a positive attitude and always look on the bright side of life. The latter for sure.

Max

Just like us Brexiteers B-) .........

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-05-04 11:49 AM

Violet1956 - 2020-05-04 7:24 AM

If you like fish you should also try the” Hive beach Cafe” near West Bexington and “ The Watchtower” in West Bay, fantastic crab sandwich.

If you've got a spare arm and a leg ;-) ......

Then the Crab House in Weymouth does a lovely crab salad B-) ........

They even give you a hammer to eat it with 8-) .......

... Just like us Brexiteers .........

I like Confucious who said:

" If you make a mistake and do not correct it, this is called a mistake "

" Don’t complain about the snow on your neighbor’s roof when your own doorstep is unclean "

" Consideration for others is the basis of a good life and of a good society "

" Time flows away like the water in the river ".

We will see.

Max

mtravel - 2020-05-04 4:29 PM

... Just like us Brexiteers .........

I like Confucious who said:

" If you make a mistake and do not correct it, this is called a mistake "

" Don’t complain about the snow on your neighbor’s roof when your own doorstep is unclean "

" Consideration for others is the basis of a good life and of a good society "

" Time flows away like the water in the river ".

We will see.

Max

Thats a bit too complicated for Pelmet who will be confused by Confucious! :D

Archived