Fraudsters use Covid lockdown to scam motorhome buyers

John52

pepe63 - 2020-05-04 5:08 PM

I realise that it has always gone on but I have noticed some ridiculously(low!) priced motorhomes on ebay the last few weeks.

(vehicles that would ordinarily be 15-20k, being advertised at 6-7k :-S )

Did you report them to eBay then?

If not please do so, they are then always removed within 24 hours. I report 2 or 3 most weeks from my 'Saved searches'.

TIP: Look at sellers 'Other items'. If they have dozens of cars, MH's, tractors, etc., etc., listed all at ridiculous prices then certainly a scam!

Keith.

No I haven't Keith, I just noted that they seemed way too cheap(to me), and just moved on..

I've just had a quick squint on ebay and a couple appear to have "gone"..

This little Hymer is still there...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Hymer-c524-Motorhome/254572081169?hash=item3b45adb011:g:9FgAAOSwFp5emeWk

..at a ridiculously low price of £6400 and when looking at their their "other items" -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mikeatblaenau/m.html?item=254572081169&hash=item3b45adb011%3Ag%3A9FgAAOSwFp5emeWk&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

..one of which is a ridiculously cheap, flashy caravan (with what look "brochure" interior photos?)

Do ebay just remove the adverts? or do they check their validity first?

(I would've thought that too low an asking price would just raise suspicions?...although I suppose they aren't aimed at those who know what sort of price something "should" fetch..? :-S )

Edit to clarify: I have no idea if the above ads' are "fraudulent" or not.

pepe63 - 2020-05-05 9:45 AM

(I would've thought that too low an asking price would just raise suspicions?...although I suppose they aren't aimed at those who know what sort of price something "should" fetch..? :-S )

I read once that many scams are blatantly wrong, this weeds out those who are more suspicious.

I believe they check there validity before removing the advert then either block or remove the lister. Many seem to be from legitimate sellers so my guess is those accounts have been hacked and taken over.

Reporting is simple, on the very right hand margin click 'Report item' then select 'Listing practices' 'Fraudulent listing activities' and 'You suspect that a listing is fraudulent' then Submit.

Other things to look for are fake history listings and scores or the advert text asking for contact by phone or generic style email address, often this info is added as a photo to prevent detection by eBay's computer systems.

At the end of the day us being vigilant and reporting these scams may help someone else getting scammed.

Keith.

I'm afraid the scammers will always be there so the saying of 'if it seems to good to be true'. There used to be a TV programme about scammers and they had a saying 'only the greedy can be scammed ' maybe thats true but I know most if us want somthing for nothing. Beware before parting with your money and follow you gut feeling.

Barryd999 - 2020-05-05 12:08 PM

Who is actually buying motorhomes right now anyway. .

People who haven't got one.

Hotels and B&Bs not likely to be opening anytime soon, especially when the Government is paying them to stay closed, so if folks want to get away this summer a motorhome may be their only option.

stevec176 - 2020-05-05 12:19 PM

they had a saying 'only the greedy can be scammed ' .

I don't believe that - look at all the honest people who put money into fake charities.

Harry Rednapp was caught taking £14,000 to promote a fake charity.

Or those who fall for romance scams

Many scammers say they couldn't con an honest man.

Doesn't mean an honest man could never be scammed, just that their particular scam wouldn't work.

They suggest there is something dishonest the mark will profit from - encouraging the mark to do it, and crucially not discuss it with others who would put them off.

Like Bernard Madoff insinuating to his customers they were benefiting from insider trading to make above average returns.

Or scammers insinuating they could hide their assets like their home ownership, so it couldn't be used to pay their care home fees.

If someone is offering you something an honest man wouldn't, be very careful.

Archived