Stay Alert

John52

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2020-05-11 12:43 PM

pelmetman - 2020-05-11 12:21 PM

Given the choice of being paid 80% of your wages to sit on your backside is not much of an incentive to return to work :-| .......

Especially when combined with mortgage/rent and loan holidays........a lot of people are prolly quids in sat at home ;-) ...........

Depends whether the 80% is subject to income tax, Nat Ins, pension etc contributions?

If not......they're evenmore quids in ;-) ..........

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-05-11 2:28 PM

StuartO - 2020-05-11 10:33 AM

the Scottish and Welsh rebellions haven't helped and nor have the sniping journalists. But BoJo would have known he was going to have to face that so it's a pity he couldn't have done a better job of communicating.

What did BoJo expect?

Nicola Sturgeon said the first she knew about dropping the stay at home slogan was when she heard it on the news. 8-)

Bound to get their backs up when he does things like that without even telling them, let alone consulting them.

Fishface is annoyed because she didn't get to jump the gun as per usual (lol) (lol) (lol) .......

Tracker - 2020-05-11 1:58 PM

Employers, employees and trade unions have had 8 weeks to communicate with each other and get their act together to plan for unlocking so I don't accept the short notice theory - or did they think we would simply go from nowt to all overnight - surely common sense would apply in anticipating a more cautious approach?

Last night BoJo gave people 12 hours notice to go back to work today

Roads into London were gridlocked

Then this afternoon he says don't go back till Wednesday

If he isn't up to the job he should stand aside

Why do you keep making excuses for him?

Violet1956 - 2020-05-11 1:07 PM

I don’t share others scepticism about how many people are so idle that they will use Covid as an excuse not to get back to work. Yes, there will always be a few but I doubt that they are in the majority.

Good to see the forum posh tottie is back :-D

The gridlocked traffic going into London this morning suggests you are right

Wonder what they thought when they heard BoJo had changed it to Wednesday >:-)

pelmetman - 2020-05-11 2:30 PM

John52 - 2020-05-11 2:28 PM

the Scottish and Welsh rebellions haven't helped and nor have the sniping journalists. But BoJo would have known he was going to have to face that so it's a pity he couldn't have done a better job of communicating.

What did BoJo expect?

Nicola Sturgeon said the first she knew about dropping the stay at home slogan was when she heard it on the news. 8-)

Bound to get their backs up when he does things like that without even telling them, let alone consulting them.

Fishface is annoyed because she didn't get to jump the gun as per usual (lol) (lol) (lol) .......

So you think she wanted to drop the Stay at Home slogan first *-)

Seems rushed and ill thought out as far as allowing some people to go back to work is concerned.

Both imo and it seems even govt themselves can't make their minds up as Raab says they should go back to work on Wednesday.....so more mixed messages! Ill thought out yes just as the 'stay alert' logo is weak and the rush appears to be investor driven anxious to get the drones back to the mills after seeing their shares plummet.

https://tinyurl.com/y7amtpcn

And here they are on the London underground today. :-(

https://tinyurl.com/ybbb9k2w

Bulletguy - 2020-05-11 3:45 PM

Seems rushed and ill thought out as far as allowing some people to go back to work is concerned.

Both imo and it seems even govt themselves can't make their minds up as Raab says they should go back to work on Wednesday.....so more mixed messages! Ill thought out yes just as the 'stay alert' logo is weak and the rush appears to be investor driven anxious to get the drones back to the mills after seeing their shares plummet.

Oh ferkin ell! Thats not good (second one). How will staying alert on that tube train make any difference? Its just basically taking a gamble isnt it?

Lucky for all of us I imagine none of us have to. :-(

Regardless of what the Government says or does, I suspect that the future of Covid will all boil down to the stupidity and lack of common sense of the great unwashed public, who no doubt in their endless quest to blame someone else for their own mistakes will blame the Government - whatever the government say.

One of the few benefits of being retired is the freedom and common sense to avoid close contact with unknown carriers and I do not envy those who need to get back into the rat race.

Barryd999 - 2020-05-11 4:14 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-05-11 3:45 PM

Oh ferkin ell! Thats not good (second one). How will staying alert on that tube train make any difference? Its just basically taking a gamble isnt it?

Lucky for all of us I imagine none of us have to. :-(

I expect many even outside London commute via public transport but if they heard Raab they still have a couple of extra days before risking their lives.

……………. the Scottish and Welsh rebellions haven't helped and nor have the sniping journalists.

The first duty of the devolved governments in the U.K. is to look after the interests of the people they govern in any way they deem necessary.

That is not a rebellion - it's doing the job they were elected to do.

:-|

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2020-05-11 4:42 PM

……………. the Scottish and Welsh rebellions haven't helped and nor have the sniping journalists.

The first duty of the devolved governments in the U.K. is to look after the interests of the people they govern in any way they deem necessary.

If they're not happy perhaps they should have a independence referendum ? :D .........

1784314515_Leavesign.jpg.63fd99aba2b8d729e4ade6344f7dc7eb.jpg

StuartO - 2020-05-11 11:41 AM

Part of the problem of getting people to go back to work is going to be that some of them have had their income adequately supported and other beneficial things like protection from eviction and even bank support with overdrafts so there may not be enough incentive to go back willingly when there is some extra risk in doing so. Trades unions are demanding “full” protection arrangements too so there isn’t necessarily going to be a big rush back to work.

A friend of mine who’s in his 60s and has diabetes has been working from home but his normal work is classroom training, so he’s not looking forward to going back into work and I doubt his employer will put much voluntary effort into arranging a virus-safe system of working.

So far as I am aware, the Health and Safety at Work Act has not been suspended or repealed. That places the employer (broad definition under the Act) under an obligation to ensure "so far as is reasonably practicable", a safe place of work. Failing to do so is a criminal offence which carries at maximum a prison sentence. In the absence of some change to that Act, employers are going to need time to make a risk assessment of their premises, and prepare them, before they call employees back to work - if they are to avoid legal repercussions should any of their employees then contract Covid-19 at work. Possibly a bit difficult to prove, but it seemed to me verging on irresponsible to summarily encourage employees to return to work on a Monday (later modified to Wednesday) during an announcement made on a Sunday evening.

Apart from the above, the announcement was a communications disaster, being overly long, overloaded, lacking clarity, and leaving interpretation to each individual who heard it. Who on earth wrote that for him?

It immediately needed clarification with, for example, the simple question this morning as to whether a person might now be able to meet their parents in a park (subject to observing 2.0 metre distancing) first being answered by Raab as yes, but changed later to no, only one at a time.

Surely the substance of the statement had been circulated (including to the other national administrations) for "stress testing", before being made?

It also begs the question as to why it was made before the announcement in parliament. If the intention was to follow the military model, of "tell them you're going to tell them, tell them, and then tell them you've told them", it fell at the first fence! I seriously wonder if Johnson is fully recovered yet - which would hardly be surprising after his brush with death.

pelmetman - 2020-05-11 5:02 PM

malc d - 2020-05-11 4:42 PM

If they're not happy perhaps they should have a independence referendum ? :D .........

Why not - then BoJo will bribe us with even more of your money not to vote SNP :D

So you can carry on working to fund our lockdown :D

Tracker - 2020-05-11 4:30 PM

Regardless of what the Government says or does, I suspect that the future of Covid will all boil down to the stupidity and lack of common sense of the great unwashed public, who no doubt in their endless quest to blame someone else for their own mistakes will blame the Government - whatever the government say.

One of the few benefits of being retired is the freedom and common sense to avoid close contact with unknown carriers and I do not envy those who need to get back into the rat race.

wouldn't have made any difference if BoJo had not waited till the virus was established before he started testing and quarantine at the borders he has taken back control of then *-)

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-11 5:19 PM

It immediately needed clarification with, for example, the simple question this morning as to whether a person might now be able to meet their parents in a park (subject to observing 2.0 metre distancing) first being answered by Raab as yes, but changed later to no, only one at a time.

... and at the same time as whacking up a fixed penalty fine to a level that could cause serious hardship to some people >:-(

Who would want to be a policeman trying to enforce laws like this :-(

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-05-11 5:45 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-11 5:19 PM

... and at the same time as whacking up a fixed penalty fine to a level that could cause serious hardship to some people >:-(

Who would want to be a policeman trying to enforce laws like this :-(

I hope you've got your cheque book >:-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
Birdbrain - 2020-05-11 5:59 PM

Bonjour ... https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1259871505875419136 ... EUs France know how to do it ... https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1259871505875419136 ... No confusion at all ... Just pack as many on as you can , bit like those London muppets

But.. but.... Bullet says only London has overcrowded trains 8-) ........

Bonjour ... https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1259871505875419136 ... EUs France know how to do it ... https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1259871505875419136 ... No confusion at all ... Just pack as many on as you can , bit like those London muppets

Those London Muppets might not have a choice. Nothing would get me on that tube (I never liked using them anyway) but some people might be forced into using them especially now if they are ordered back to work and have families to feed and mortgages to pay.

Tracker - 2020-05-11 4:30 PM

The thing is Rich, we and the government know that the country is full of stupid people of that there can be no doubt now. So they have a duty of care to make sure the rules are such that stupidity is accounted for. Giving people a free pass to go where ever they want right now in the country just for a ride out is crackers.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-05-11 6:11 PM

Those London Muppets might not have a choice. Nothing would get me on that tube (I never liked using them anyway) but some people might be forced into using them especially now if they are ordered back to work and have families to feed and mortgages to pay.

Do French Muppets have a different choice? :-S ..........

Barryd999 - 2020-05-11 6:11 PM

Everyone has a choice silly boy ... Maybe those same London Muppets didn't have a choice cramming into Londons parks over the weekend ... Think about what you type for once

pelmetman - 2020-05-11 6:10 PM

But.. but.... Bullet says only London has overcrowded trains 8-) ........

All commuter trains and buses are crowded, and with Covid, the crowding provides ideal conditions for passing on the virus - mask or no mask. Emptying the trains to "safe" levels will defeat many commuter's journeys, and so prevent them getting back to work. So, what do you want? People crowded onto buses and trains creating a second Covid "spike", or no-one back at work?

Archived