New Motorhome Regulations Coming To Fife

Bop

Bop - 2020-06-09 10:05 PM

New camper incidents now being reported on a daily basis:

https://www.obantimes.co.uk/2020/06/09/glenorchy-campers-defying-restrictions-msp/

Yes. As I said on 7 June there are quite a few inconsiderate and selfish idiots on the go including a near neighbour!

We live just off the M90 south of Perth and regularly see mohos going past and coing off/going on the slip roads. Some will be innocent I've no doubt taking van for a short drive but I'm guessing some will be of the view that "We know best - to hell with regs"

mtravel - 2020-06-08 3:35 PM

As a foreigner who loves your country, may I join the discussion ?

I have already visited your country four times (the whole, from Land's End to John O'Groats, Orkneys and almost all the Inner Hebrides included).

I have traveled the NC500 route in one direction and in the other, I have traveled the Highlands up and down.

I have visited big towns as well as villages and small ones in the Cotswolds, Chilterns, Yokshire and Northumberland. Etc, etc.

I am not an intrusive traveler, in 90% of cases I use a campsite, only seldom I wild camp.

And when I do it, it's in places where overnight parking is definitely allowed, whether for a fee or not.

Last year in Ripon, Bourton-on-the-Water and Praa Sands I have stayed overnight outside a campsite.

Only in Canterbury did I find what can be called an equipped rest area throughout Europe.

Having said that, you will have understood that the cost of a campsite does not stop me even if paying £5 for some EHU's Wh seems exaggerated.

2007, 2010, 2013 and 2019, I have noticed changes almost always for the worse.

It was known that all of England was a parade of no-overnight signals.

Even in Scotland they are now growing in number. The only difference is that they use no-sleeping.

In many car parks where even a motorhome (even a small one) has to pay for 24 hours without being able to stop overnight. It seems absurd to me.

Whether they are managed by the National Trust (Birling Gap), by the local community (Lulworth/Durdle Door) or by ownership (Alnwick Castle), little changes.

What I don't find correct is this new claim of having to book a campsite in advance.

Motorhome tourism has the only advantage of not having to decide in advance where to stop for the night.

In my travels to your land I believe I have left a few thousand pounds to your economy.

If the UK continues with its ostracism towards the traveling tourists I think I will turn my attention to other nations.

And like me many will do.

Max

I too find the British attitude to motorhomes a bit perplexing. Having spent 27 years living in Germany, I was quite shocked to find limited areas in the UK where you can legally stop and stay the night. Even the very small town we lived in in Germany had 2 stellplatz, open all year round. We would quite often decide on a Friday night to go off the next morning, not too far, and stay for the night in a town or village without having to make a booking. It wouldn't make any difference if it was the middle of winter or summer, there would always be somewhere to stay. Similarly, when we travelled on longer journeys to Italy, Croatia, Greece etc. we would never come across the limitations we have experienced in UK. Its a sad state of affairs, as I would love to tour UK, but it seems to be a lot of hassle.

The Monday before last we drove from Tyne and Wear across to Workington in Cumbria and back in the car. We saw 2 Motorhomes, a tiny Nu Venture conversion and one Caravan. We did not jmp to the conclusion that any of them were overnighting and I reckon in a normal June I would have seen 50+ Motorhomes and Caravans at least.

I don't think there is much to worry about, there are idiots in all walks of life. There are even some on this forum. :D ;-)

mtravel & rael

Four years ago there were two petitions demanding that the UK Goverment compel councils to provide motorhome ‘aires’. Links to those petitions are in this 2016 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Petition-for-Aires-in-England/40906/

There is no UK ‘history’ of differientiating between caravanning and motorcaravanning and both leisure practices have always been treated similarly when it comes to overnight parking. The expectation is that a caravanner will stay overnight on a campsite and that a motorhome owner will do the same.

It’s to be expected that the dearth of ‘aire type’ facilities (and/or of non-campsite authorised motorhome overnight parking places) will deter ‘foreign’ motorhome owners from visiting the UK and encourage UK motorhome owners to take their vehicle abroad. But things are not going to change and it would be unrealistic to believe they might.

Archived