Spare wheel removal (wind Down)

Earthmover

It’s certainly the case that retro-fitted alloy wheels may require different wheel-bolts to those that were correct for the original steel wheels, with the bolts for the retro-fitted alloy wheels differing in length and/or shoulder-angle.

However, if a Ducato X250/X290 vehicle has GENUINE Fiat alloy wheels, the bolts will be the same as those used for the steel wheels that are appropriate for that vehicle. (M14x1.5 bolts for Ducato ‘light’ vehicles or M16x1.5 for Ducato ‘heavy’ (Maxi) vehicles).

The wheel-bolt torque setting should be 160Nm for Ducato ‘light’ vehicles or 180Nm for Ducato ‘heavy’ (Maxi) vehicles.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-07-19 8:28 AM

It’s certainly the case that retro-fitted alloy wheels may require different wheel-bolts to those that were correct for the original steel wheels, with the bolts for the retro-fitted alloy wheels differing in length and/or shoulder-angle.

However, if a Ducato X250/X290 vehicle has GENUINE Fiat alloy wheels, the bolts will be the same as those used for the steel wheels that are appropriate for that vehicle. (M14x1.5 bolts for Ducato ‘light’ vehicles or M16x1.5 for Ducato ‘heavy’ (Maxi) vehicles).

The wheel-bolt torque setting should be 160Nm for Ducato ‘light’ vehicles or 180Nm for Ducato ‘heavy’ (Maxi) vehicles.

Thanks for the clarification :)

A 21mm socket will be needed for the wheel-bolts of a Ducato X250/X290.

My 2005 Ford Transit-based Hobby motorhome's wheel-nuts' torque setting was 200Nm and I split a good quality socket tightening them. Now I use a heavy duty socket of the type used with an impact driver.

I hadn't posted before, as I wasn't sure without checking, but having wound down my spare to check the pressure and exercise the winding mechanism, I can confirm that although the mechanism is most easily viewed through the wheelarch behind the tyre, to operate it I have to insert the spindle from beneath the pinch weld joint beneath the rear bumper side panel, just behind the wheelarch and mudflap on my X290 light wheelbase with 15 inch wheels. So the same as Gerry.

Although lowering the spare-wheel of an ‘X290’ vehicle seems (to me) to be well covered in this YouTube video

what may not be appreciated is quite how far in from the vehicle’s side the lowering/raising ‘winch’ is located.

This should be evident from the image attached below that shows the fitted-together wheel-brace and Allen-key tools that have been connected to the winch mechanism.

tools-2.jpg.79174c531ada975377a70f26858423f0.jpg

A couple of years back we had problems getting the spare off to check it. The nut which keeps the fitting in the middle of wheel had rusted up, that plastic bit which is shown easily turning was unable to turn the nut, a liberal soaking of WD40 had no effect, had to lever the plastic off the nut and use a socket to undo nut.

nut.jpg.8e99cda3ad505b0c49405247f5ce1367.jpg

In his posting of 16 July 2020 11:00 PM Earthmover said

“...I will do has Derek suggested and have another look and check I have been looking in the right place.

As this discussion seems to be going round in circles, it would now be helpful to know what Earthmover discovered was the case.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Derek, Colin , Paul.

Eureka I have found It!!. I had the time yesterday to lie down and have a proper look round underneath the van. (strange looks from some of the other campers) . Colin's Photo's are spot on with the position of the winding down gear, but the diagram in my Fiat handbook shows the removal tool practically touching the tyre, When it is in fact some 80mm away from the tyre, also since all the diagrams in the hand book relate to Left hand drive Vehicles I did briefly look under the nearside first, thinking they would mount it on the nearside to protect the wheel changer from on coming traffic etc.

Thanks to everyone. Ps. The guy who spent 2 hours with us at handover, quite clearly said it did not come with a spare wheel and non of the Elddis bumf says it would. So really pleased.

Regards Em.

Colin, would you by any chance know what the thread is for that plastic covered nut? we have recently purchased a kit that is supposed to be a genuine fiat part, but it did not have one of those with it. Having contacted Fiat they say they do not sell spares of those separately. Normal 12mm seems to be a too course a thread.

Thank you

Mountainriversea - 2020-08-10 9:54 PM

Thank you, Colin, for the reply. We will keep on trying to work it out. Have had one suggestion that it might be M12 fine or extra fine, so maybe we will try to find one of those and see as a 12mm normal thread doesn't seem to be the one.

A m12 fine is 1.5 pitch, an extra fine is 1.25 pitch, I didn't notice anything unusual about the thread, if it was extrafine I think I would have remembered (I deal with these types of thread quite often), but if you can measure the threads it's easy to check, no thread gauge needed, measure across 4 threads (5 peaks), if it's 5mm it's extrafine, if it's 6mm it's fine, if it's 7mm it's coarse.

colin - 2020-08-10 10:50 PM

...but if you can measure the threads it's easy to check, no thread gauge needed, measure across 4 threads (5 peaks), if it's 5mm it's extrafine, if it's 6mm it's fine, if it's 7mm it's coarse.

And to measure the pitch of an internal thread, find a smaller diameter bolt where the threads engage fully in the test thread and then measure this as above.

eg Try an M8 x 1.5 bolt for starters.

Keith.

The attached image shows the male threaded component.

I once owned an Italian-built 1960s Ducati Diana motorbike. All the fixings were metric, but it was said that Ducati made these themselves on ancient equipment and there was no guarantee that a replacement female nut would fit on an original male bolt. There was definitely some truth in this, but I doubt that the internal threading of the plastic-covered ’nut’ of a Ducato’s spare-wheel carrier is anything really unusual.

1167375652_wheelcarrier.jpg.0250281aef4f44581dad619bd6226fb5.jpg

Thanks fort he reply's. I have now found the answer.

The nut in question is an M12 Fine (1.5 pitch) and fits perfect.

Just a shame I couldn't find one with a hand wheel attached. I'll have to make sure I keep a suitable box spanner on board.

Now I know I should be able to get the wheel properly installed I just need to fit the carrier!

Thanks for the help, Bob.

Archived