Frayed seat belt on Ducato

Sydney1

I’m going to offer you two Fiat Forum links

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/456957-door-pillar-ducato-2018-x290-motorhome.html

https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/261655-seat-belt-replacement.html

I’ve never had to do this, but I recall that - having taken delivery of my wife’s new VW Golf car I noticed that the driver’s seat-belt had been wrongly manufactured. I booked the car in for several faults to be addressed and, on collection, was told that another visit would be needed to have the seat-belt replaced. This was because the seat-belt pre-tensioner included a small explosive charge and the garage could not keep the belt-unit overnight unless it was stored in a ‘bomb-proof safe’ that they did not have.

Anyway, be careful...

It should be a relatively easy job.

The pretensioner is in the stalk, which presumably would not need replacing.

The Fiat workshop instructions show it as requiring removal of a single bolt, once the pillar trim (top and bottom) is removed - which might prove to be the most difficult part of the job without damaging retaining clips.

There are a few variations in replacement belt, one being for Fiat original rotating seats, which you may have. A part number check would be in order.

However, one of the reasons for the cost will be the fact that the OE belts are not cheap, especially if paying list:

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Seat+belt&search_by=1

It may be possible to find cheaper aftermarket belts.

If you consider DIY, and the email address in your profile is correct, I can possibly collate the workshop details for the trim removal and replacement, and ditto the belt, and send it on (a bit to much to post in separate pictures here).

Remove the bolt for the top belt guide mounting, the trim as described in the above link, the clip fittings need a good pull to release, they are quite substansial and unlikely to be damaged. Remove the bolt holding the reel mechanism to the bottom of the B pillar. Replace in reverse with locking compound on the bolts, torque to 40 Nm.

The Fiat reversing seat, has I suspect, the belt incorporated into the seat assembly. It seems yours is the normal pillar mount. The price quoted may include the pre tensioner that you may not require.

Costal motorhomes supplies part seems a reasionable cost.

Mike

Many thanks for all your advice. I think I am going to have to explore the DIY route and see if I can secure a decent unit from a breakers yard first.

Here is a pic (still working that out!)

Really quite bad considering the really light use it's had. I even checked for the mouse droppings but nothing and it does not look like the sort of damage a rodent would cause.

sb4.pdf

Robinhood - 2020-07-06 3:01 PM

If you consider DIY, and the email address in your profile is correct, I can possibly collate the workshop details for the trim removal and replacement, and ditto the belt, and send it on (a bit to much to post in separate pictures here).

Yes please!

Got to say that the fraying does look rather 'suspicious'. Seatbelt webbing is pretty tough stuff and only in much older high-mileage vehicles have I ever seen a degree of 'furring' of the webbing. This looks like quite sever damage caused by a fault in the webbing (probably unlikely), by sharp edges somewhere or indeed, rodent attack!

I have a length of seatbelt in my garage that I removed from a Mini that I scrapped some 35 years ago. In the intervening years it has been used regularly as a lifting strap to remove engines from a variety of cars that I have raced. In spite of this, it still looks in better condition than the seatbelt in your van (lol)

My son is a self employed courier driver and as will be obvious his use of seat belt is continuous. He has an X290 new 2019 and has had two belts changed under warranty and will be going in for a third this week.

Turns out that the buckle has a badly made metal tang inside the plastic covering and that wears the belt on continual fitting and removal. It can quite clearly be seen on inspection as a sharp edge where the belt travels through the buckle, I understand in his case Citroen are looking into it and meanwhile have authorised continual exchange of the belt under warranty until the situation is resolved.

Not saying this is the case with yours but might be worthwhile examining to see whether there are any sharp parts anywhere on the installation.

Basil

Archived