Looking for tips/advice on Dometic fridge installation!

Jinjapan

Hi all,

I am presently converting a small bus into a tiny home and need some advice on installing my fridge. It is a Dometic 2351 3-way absorption fridge I plan on running off LP gas.

Here is my dilemma:

I am not interested in cutting a large hole in the side of my vehicle (for ventilation) just to install this fridge. Can I get away with ventilation out of the floor? I'd be happy to open large sections in the floor to properly ventilate if possible.

Can't wait to hear back. Please and thanks in advance.

No. Hot air rises so the outlet vent must be above the top of the cooling fins on the back of the fridge.

Could you vent out of the roof with a suitable style of rain protector cowl?

Ventilation requirements are clearly defined on pages 9 and 10 of the installation manual here...

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/support/dometic-rm-2351-_-136457

This is the US website but I can't find any UK instructions, are you in the UK, USA or where please?

Keith.

Thank you... VERY much appreciated.

I assumed as much (not being able to ventilate out the floor), but it is reassuring to hear it from people with experience.

I guess that means I'm either cutting holes in the side of my bus (or roof).

And - yes, I am in Japan. Thanks again...

Jeff

Yes, but if wall-mounted ventilation grilles are not used, any subsequent maintenance/cleaning tasks (eg. cleaning the gas-flue or gas-burner) will be impracticable without first removing the fridge from where it has been fitted.

It’s not unknown for the lower ventilation grille to be dispensed with and replaced by an aperture in the floor, and I remember (years ago) seeing a 3-way fridge installed in a panel-van-conversion (Possl?) with the gas-flue exhausting through the roof (and very odd and ugly it looked too).

Best to bite the bullet and go for a ‘conventional’ installation with a pair of wall grilles.

My ( 2004) Laika Kreos 3010g has a large Dometic 3 way fridge with a lower sidewall vent and a roof vent to service both the fridge and the small gas oven mounted on top of the fridge. From personal experience I fully support Derek's view to avoid a roof vent - and for same reasons.

I have already had to remove the fridge/oven unit to access the flue !

However to be fair, never had rain ingress issues when stationary or moving.

Archived