Headlamp Lens Clouding

Priston

Fiat X250 headlamps. I have been using headlamp protectors but on removing same have found the base vehicle headlamp lenses very cloudy. Referring to the internet I deduce this is due to UV and recommendations are to use wet and dry papers to remove and re-instate a smooth surface. I have used 1200, 3000, 5000 and 7000 grade papers (all used wet) and then polished using a Fenwicks polishing compound. The result whilst better than it was when I started is not back to pristine condition. I spent a significant time at each of the stages. Do any of you have any further suggestions?

Yes, you didn't go coarse enough!

I have 'knocked off' the degraded upper layer with 600, then stepped up to 1200.

As far as polishing goes - try 3M Fast Cut or Mirka Polar Shine.

They'll come up lovely, but you may still find slight crazing within the substrate - and there's not much you can do about that.

Gman - 2020-07-24 8:35 PM

Did mine last week, using the Auto Glym resto kit, 800 down to 3000

plus paste, 2 1/2 hours each side results are fantastic.

I'd second this no quick fix to protect mine I keep aluminium foil between the protector and head light when not in use But for a quick none lasting fix WD40 will do the trick

A friend of mine used Harly wax on his and said they came up like new, although his van is only a couple of years old. Try it as a finisher. It's fantastic on paintwork and faded bumpers too. It's got carnauba wax in it B-)

I use Bilt-Hamber wax

https://www.bilthamber.com/double-speed-wax

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-group-tests/63776/best-car-wax-and-sealant-2020

and, although this produces an excellent finish on shiny surfaces, it has none of the abrasive properties needed to restore headlights.

(It's also been my experience that, although restoration is certainly possible, it's unlikely to offer a long-term solution.)

Archived