P.V.C. Roofs

g7eor

After finding rust on the roof of my new Autotrail I check up there quite often. My question is how do you stop debris accumulating in grooves in the roof. The muck sticks around the fittings for the awning and at the edges of the roof lights.

If it's new then I would be straight onto the dealer for him to get it fixed.

However, I would still be interested to know about the size and location of the rust. We have a PVC which I'm constantly cleaning with hot water, turtle wax and Autoglym and it's like new up there.

Unless your van has suffered an impact or scrape which has uncovered bare metal then you should not be suffering from rust for a long time.

My experience of rust on new 'vans is that it often emanates from swarf not being properly removed when the various roof and window cutouts are made.

This results in bare metal shards ideally suited for quick rusting, and this invariably cuts into the paintwork on which it is located.

The rust was caused by the swarf from cutting the roof lights being left on the roof. The van did go back to the dealer to sort out but I do like to check. The problem is now muck ( pollution ) getting stuck in the pressings in the roof were they meet the roof lights , vents and TV aerial.

g7eor - 2020-08-15 4:58 PM

...My question is how do you stop debris accumulating in grooves in the roof. The muck sticks around the fittings for the awning and at the edges of the roof lights.

Storing a motorhome under cover (eg. under a car port) or putting a fabric cover over it when it is not in use, would obviously reduce the amount of debris that might accumulate on the vehicle’s roof. But, otherwise, Bop’s fastidious cleaning policy is the only realistic option.

The problem is not just swarf left over from cutting holes for roof lights but the fact that they are based on a commercial van with an expected life span of a few years, therefore the paint is usually very thin if nonexistent. It will help if you a ploy a good quality wax such as Collinite 476s . As for not looking, this can be a rather costly approach, I saw a customes van this week where the moss was not only pushing the awning away from the side it was also pushing the Heiki up.

Very difficult to see and get rid of all the swarf when you cut holes in a roof.

Because its hot when it flies off, so it sticks to the paint, and when its clean new shiny metal you can't see it.

I have gone over the roof with a vacuum cleaner straight after doing the job and it still didn't get it all off

It only reveals itself after you have got down from the roof and it starts to turn brown.

Rust is usually worse than it looks - except when it starts from on the roof.

Because it starts from above - instead of growing beneath the paint unseen.

Ducatos post 2006 are well protected against rust because they are galvanised - even where the galvanising is pierced by self tappers going through exposing bare steel, the galvanising still works to protect it like the sacrificial anodes you see bolted to the steel hull of boats.

And being on the roof its easy to access to repair - you can brush paint it with ordinary paint because nobody gets close enough to see it :-D

John52 - 2020-08-20 8:37 AM

Very difficult to see and get rid of all the swarf when you cut holes in a roof.

Because its hot when it flies off, so it sticks to the paint, and when its clean new shiny metal you can't see it.

Openings cut into a a painted vehicle should be cut with a 'cold' process, not as some do a cutting disc, this means there should be no hot swarf.

colin - 2020-08-20 10:36 AM

John52 - 2020-08-20 8:37 AM

Openings cut into a a painted vehicle should be cut with a 'cold' process, not as some do a cutting disc, this means there should be no hot swarf.

I don't know of a cold cutting process that would get the required curves

I wouldn't use a cutting disc on a van roof as its too difficult to keep to the line, could easily snag, distort and tear the surrounding sheet, and can only do straight cuts.

I used a jigsaw, which still throws up hot swarf, then left rough edges that needed to be ground smooth leaving more hot swarf. Then had to drill holes which made more hot flying swarf.

Thought I had got it all off with the vacuum cleaner, but couldn't see it till it got wet and turned brown a few days later. A professional might not have the chance to look at it a few days later to see the swarf revealed.

Keithl - 2020-08-20 5:44 PM

colin - 2020-08-20 1:42 PM

Shears or nibblers, either shouldn't produce hot swarf.

Probably one of the most versatile power tool accessories ever invented! I have had one for nearly forty years now!

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-dhc-2-double-headed-metal-nibbler/

Keith.

have you used it on corrugated sheet / van roof?

John52 - 2020-08-20 6:17 PM

Keithl - 2020-08-20 5:44 PM

colin - 2020-08-20 1:42 PM

Shears or nibblers, either shouldn't produce hot swarf.

Probably one of the most versatile power tool accessories ever invented! I have had one for nearly forty years now!

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-dhc-2-double-headed-metal-nibbler/

Keith.

have you used it on corrugated sheet / van roof?

Not a van roof but cut many sunroofs out on cars, windows in side panels in vans, body repair panels, etc., etc,

If you set the cutter at 90° then it will easily follow corrugations.

Keith.

Archived