Crankshaft pulley

varonda

Just a heads up for folks with the 2.2ltr Peugeot diesel [ think it's a Ford engine ] that's a few years old, check the main crankshaft pulley as they can start to break up . Mine started with a cage of canaries under the bonnet ! investigation revealed the pulley was breaking up and starting to eat into the cam chain casing , we might have got away with just a new pulley but I made an executive decision and had the casing/pulley+ seal and belt replaced , apparently it's a fairly common issue on this engine, it's a double pulley for air con fitment -- don't know what damage would be caused with a complete disintegration of the offending part but I'm glad I caught it in time . I suspect the rubber shock absorbing part of the pulley is the weak link breaking down with age and temperature variations , so get it checked at the next service , BTY mines on an 11plate reg.

Nick Fisher (euroserv) highlighted the possibility of Ford Transit crankshaft pulley problems in this 2012 forum thread

https://tinyurl.com/yyrr3kl5

and (as you’ve said) the 2.2litre motor fitted to some Peugeot Boxer, Fiat Ducato and Citroen Relay vehicles was essentially a ‘clone’ of the same capacity Ford-built powerplant used in Transits.

With my Peugeots I've always had the belts pullies, tensioner and water pump done at around the recommended 80,000 and have still suffered with the the serpentine belt shredding,

I now have a Ford with the psa/duratorq engine and I had the lot done at 80,000 miles too, mainly as it was getting close to the 10 year antifreeze change and fords 10 year belt change.

Archived