Name on V5

alanedwin

Hello all,

I've just renewed the MH insurance and our broker put us with a different insurer to last year. Price was up a bit but not much until they asked about access to other vehicles. We have a car and its in my wife's name on the V5 and they were going to charge me £70 extra because of this!!! Apparently they want the policy holder's name on the V5 of the other vehicle. They could give me no good reason for this so I transferred the car to my name and saved £70.

Anyone know why this stipulation is needed?

No, but I would have looked for a different insurer. I have only ever been asked how many other vehicles I drive or have access to, or how many are kept at the same address, unless you had answered yes to the question. "Do YOU own another vehicle?" when the other vehicle was actually your wife's?

Not heard of that one , been asked how many vehicles in the household though, our little van is registered and insured in the bosses name although I'm on the policy as the main driver . This came about when we purchased the van - to cancel our car policy which is in my name would have cost us and she'd already got some NCD carried over from when she had a car so it was easier and simpler just to leave the car in my name and do everything for the van in her name --saved a cancellation fee and she's keeping her NCD going if she decides that the van goes and we get another car.

It makes no sense what so ever, the V5c, as the police will tell you time and again, is not proof of ownership only proof of registration which makes tax easier to charge to the registered person.

we have 8 vehicles between us and never come across this insurance 'money making scheme' before!

varonda - 2020-10-25 10:48 AM

Not heard of that one , been asked how many vehicles in the household though,

I agree with the above reply this is the question I seem to be always asked. Clearly if you have more than one vehicle available to you then the risk in insuring the new vehicle is reduced.

Archived