Windy outback

Geeco

Currently at a bush camp near Wilpena Pound in the north of South Australia. The temp is in the 30'sC with wind around 30kph and gusts upto 50kph. My new two week old Adria Coral XL 660 SCS to give it it's full title is a special build for AU/NZ with habitation door on UK side and a rear slideout for the main bed. The slideout is great and incorporates a Fiamma awning over the top to , I assume protect the roof from rain & debris. Problem is in strong winds it is flapping making it difficult to sleep. On our side awning we added an antiflap kit to stop the flapping.. Not practical on the rear slideout awning as it is permanently secured to the rear of the MH and the slideout. I would be interested to know if there is a product to reduce the flapping available in UK/EU. Cheers,

This 2017 MotorhomeTalk forum thread

https://www.motorhometalk.co.uk/forums/topic/2828-adria-compact-first-impressions/

discussed a Swedish-owned Adria Compact model that has a slide-out-from- the-rear bed and included the following comment

Arriving on the campsite, extending the slide out caused a bit of attention from others there. Even if I do think this is a good idea, Adria have actually made a serious mistake with it. Slide outs are known to have leak issues at times. To help alleviate this, there is an awning that extends with the slide out. During the night, there was a rainstorm, accompanied by winds. The awning hit the actual slide out so hard, it was like sleeping in a bass drum. Not very good.

I was going to suggest you ask the Trakka people about this, as their Trakkaway 700 model has a rear slide out - but the attached photo suggests that an ‘awning’ over the slide-out is not fitted.

1765982574_Trakkaway700.png.c19bd3f3dd02b171901f3c9be62b9e39.png

Sorry if this answer is rather vague, but I seem to remember that many years ago some tent manufacturers used pads to seperate the gap between the flysheet and inner tent of lightweight geodesic domes. I think North Face used this approach but I may be wrong. My memory is extremely sketchy, but I thought that they looked like plastic scouring pads that compressed when stored but expanded when the tent was erected. I certainly wouldn't recommend anything that has scouring properties, but could some sort of expanding pad could be strapped into place after the slideout is deployed?

Peter

There are some details of the Adria Coral XL 660 SCS model on this 2018 New Zealand webpage, including a photo of the extended slide-out that shows the awning above it. (Copy attached below)

https://rvmagazine.co.nz/i-spy-adria/

and more details of the slide-out itself are provided here

https://www.aboutcampbtob.eu/lcis-euro-slide-success-factor/

Adria also markets a caravan with a ‘side’ slide-out - the Adria Adora 612 PT Slider Sport

but this has no integrated awning above it and (presumably) relies on the rubber seals alone to prevent rainwater ingress.

On forums relating to USA RVs, there is a fair amount of discussion/suggestions about combatting wind noise from awnings above slide-outs, including ‘tethering’ the awning using a rope thrown over it. The snag with this type of ploy is that a significant attraction for a potential buyer is that the Adria slide-out can be rapidly extended/retracted electrically at the touch of a button and any supplementary action - roping or temporarily putting ‘fillers’ in the gap between the awning and the slide-out’s upper surface - will conflict with that capability.

I can’t think of any means to prevent the awning from flapping in high winds and still allow ‘instant’ retraction. However, it might be interesting to investigate whether the awning is genuinely necessary to prevent rainwater entry given that the Adria Adora caravan does not have one and the Trakkaway 700 (apparently) does without.

coral.png.c80e129def6f22b63feab175e19cf1a3.png

Hmmm! Note to self - don't buy a 'van with a slide-out, even though they have always sounded a good idea. Any hole cut in the body of a 'van is likely to be a source of water ingress, which is why I'm presently pursuing a warranty claim with Chausson for leaks around 3 of 4 roof lights.

Geeco - 2020-11-11 1:24 AM

Currently at a bush camp near Wilpena Pound in the north of South Australia. The temp is in the 30'sC with wind around 30kph and gusts upto 50kph. My new two week old Adria Coral XL 660 SCS to give it it's full title is a special build for AU/NZ with habitation door on UK side and a rear slideout for the main bed. The slideout is great and incorporates a Fiamma awning over the top to , I assume protect the roof from rain & debris. Problem is in strong winds it is flapping making it difficult to sleep. On our side awning we added an antiflap kit to stop the flapping.. Not practical on the rear slideout awning as it is permanently secured to the rear of the MH and the slideout. I would be interested to know if there is a product to reduce the flapping available in UK/EU. Cheers,

Dear Gary I have no hope of helping you with this problem. Just to say that your opening sentence makes me yearn to be back in Australia. Hope someone else can provide you with a solution.

American vans have long had slide-outs (side slide-outs), so I wonder how they solve the problem? I have no experience of these, but several I have seen illustrated appeared to have some kind of roll-out awning sheltering the slide-out roof.

Just a thought, but I wonder if this was intended more as a sun shade to keep the bed roof cool, than as a rain-shelter to keep it dry? How it will react to wind will inevitably depend on direction and speed, but a strip of fabric will inevitably flap around under some combination or one, or other, or both.

I think the problem really needs to be referred back to Adria as a design defect. The only solution I can foresee is to substitute a rigid panel that extends with the slide-out. However, I can't somehow see that being a feasible retro-fit. Oddly, there seems to be a rooflight under the roll-out canopy, which suggests the roll-out may have been an addition - but why?. Sun, or rain? It's hardly readily accessible, so any debris that drops onto it is bound to get rolled up with it. Leaves, twigs, seeds, bird droppings, the odd creepy-crawley? Plus, you'd need to extend the slide-out to be able to clean it. It is a puzzling choice. Sorry Gary, not much help!

I’m near certain that the awning fitted by Adria as standard is a Fiamma “SLIDE OUT” product (example advert with photos here)

https://www.fiamma.it/en/slideout-en.html

and installation/usage instructions are here

https://www.fiamma.it/image/data/ISTRUZIONI/FiammaStore/A0_IS_98690-912.pdf

As you’ve suggested, Fiamma gives the awning’s purpose as "Protects the pop out wall of your vehicle from the sun and damaging effects over time”.

Although a photo in a link I provided earlier may suggest that the roof of the slide-out of Gary’s Adria Coral motorhome has a window in it, that’s actually not the case. The 2016 MMM review of an Adria Compact SLS model (that has much the same slide-out) said

Once pitched, it’s simple to to deploy the star of the show. Hit the auxiliary supply button on the touch-sensitive control panel, then press and hold a switch to see the slide-out move aft. The whole thing feels well-engineered and it operated flawlessly during the test.

It takes just under one-and-a-half minutes for the operation and, as the slide-out slides, so the heads of the twin beds flatten. Add an infill on each side and you’re done. Now, you have two singles that are generous and very comfortable. A double can be made by adding an infill, which closes the gap and supports an access ladder. At the beds’ head there are reading lamps and a couple of magazine pockets.

There’s no space for a rooflight here (and outside there’s an awning-style blind that protects the roof of the slide-out – and the join to the main body – from the elements). Instead, Adria has installed a plexiglass panel with lighting that mimics a starry sky. A tad quirky, but a neat (romantic?) touch.

(Photo attached below)

932128223_starrystarrynight.jpg.65cdb5472c903a263f79329f99d3d3b9.jpg

It wasn't that picture, Derek, it was the one on this review, https://tinyurl.com/y3cmykak - which I found when searching for details.

The accompanying write-up didn't mention the starry sky and, as there is a slight reflection of greenery in the photo, I took that to be an indication that the awning might have been an option.

The starry sky pattern is also visible, but I didn't attach any significance to those small points of light at the time.

The instructions are interesting regarding clearing debris and greasing. They also confirm that it is simply a fabric canopy with no rafter component, which probably doesn't help much in wind. It is also clear that there is no quick-release facility, even assuming one could easily reach it. Maybe someone should explain to Adria that it gets windy Downunder, even in summer!.

It is odd, as the instructions for conventional roll-out awnings are at great pains to point out the need to stow than in windy conditions, whereas this can only be stowed with the slide-out retracted, which, considering it is part of the bed, is hardly practical. So, overall, even less help to Gary, it seems. Sorry Gary.

‘Solutions’ are suggested on RV forums (see my posting of 11 November 2020 11:17 AM above) but - as I also said there - all of the suggestions require the motorhome owner taking some sort of proactive action after extending the slide-out and before retracting it.

Given the relatively low area of the Fiamms Slide Out’s fabric, and the fact that it is securely held at both ends, realistically it would take very strong winds to potentially damage the awning. In 2017 a Swedish Adria owner complained about the awning fabric hitting the top of the slide-out during a rain-storm and in 2020 Gary has now mentioned the awning ‘flapping’ in strong winds. There will have been a good many Adria models with the slide-out/awning combination sold over the last three years and I can’t find any on-line mention of the awning becoming damaged.

If the awning is only a sun-shade and is not needed to protect the upper seal of the slide-out from water ingress, detaching the awning from its fixing on the motorhome’s rear body-panel should be easy enough.

Firstly thank you for taking an interest in my flappy slideout awning. I must admit it was not on my mind that this would be an issue when we purchased the MH. I should stress it is only a problem when the wind is up over around 40kph so for us at our frequently used locations not an issue. We did solve the problem bearing in mind that motorhoming always includes compromise, we simply closed the slideout. When closed the top half of the bed moves up the back wall leaving the bottom half in the normal position. What is left is just a little short of a single bed. Just perfect for a "damsel in distress" to sleep for the night while I took to the surprisingly very comfortable luton. Overall after just two weeks and a couple of thousand klms we are very pleased with our new machine. We were content with the French bed layout in our AT Tracker but the generous space in the queen double is a real treat. To clarify some points , it now takes less than 30 seconds to extend out or in not the slower time quoted. The awning is as Derek suggested made by Fiamma. There is no skylight in the slideout ceiling however there is a "mood" light that looks like a starry sky on a clear night. Where we have been staying in SA the night sky is as clear as I have ever experienced with the whole view jammed packed with stars, just like the "mood" light!

Derek the Trakka 770 you pictured is an inhouse design that they claim does not need an awning. They are a very highly respected boutique builder that has an excellent service division that I have used to fix some items on my previous AT..

As an aside this Adria has variable rate airbag suspension on the rear. You can adjust the rate by changing the air pressure. In my short time with this system I have found it superior to the standard suspension on my previous MH. It settles the bounce much more effectively over our less than perfect roads.

Again thank you all for your interest in this topic it has certainly kept me awake to come up with a solution, sometimes you overlook the simple solution. Cheers,

It Is a fiamma slide out original as marked on it . Both L/R. So unique for Adria. As you have a anti flapping on your side awning fiamma assume? You must be able to cope whit this. Hans- Monique.

Forgot to say that your airbags are standard fitted by Adria To avoid wheel contact in their arches'.

Archived