Explosion of UK sales in motorhomes?

curdle

The Daily Mail reported an alleged explosion in sales of MH's in the optimistic range of 50 to 100K accompanied by a picture of an American RV interior in a budget far exceeding that. Question is, where are they all going? Nothing much open anywhere and my tentative punt on flexible ferry tickets seems a bridge too far in terms of waste of money and time and maybe the end of the garden is the best option. Anyone feeling more optimistic? If so why?

Yes, I know we can't go far, but other options for holiday? Abroad - may face 10 day quarantine on return; hotel - lots of other folk from goodness knows where; self catering - only slightly better than hotel, assuming it's been thoroughly cleaned after last grubby people; visit family/friends - can we/can't we, first understand the rules, even trickier if crossing internal UK borders; motor caravan - own facilities, park in a field apart from others, enjoy home cooking.

The dealer we use says they had a good year for Moho sales.

We have been away twice in ours and the siites were full, we had to book ahead even in the outer Hebrides, something we don’t usually do.

People I know have been renting Moho as a try before buy cos it’s easy to manage COVID risk.

Peter

Looking around the Scottish dealers (prior to being confined to Fife..) they've had a major clearout of second hand vans at all price points. The showrooms and forecourts remain well populated with new vans though and the windscreen sticker pre-Covid discounts still seem to be available.

In AU new motorhomes are as scarce as hen's teeth. Basically due to the shortage of cab chassis from Fiat, Iveco, MB & VW coupled with a 6 week shutdown of the local coach builders. Only a dribble of new stock from the 3 UK/EU completely built up brands. In most cases May/June is quoted as. next available. As a result the second hand market for good stock is short of numbers and they are commanding above normal prices. The supply/demand curve is in play. We have been on the road for 16 days and there has been plenty of sites available. I suspect people who are able to travel seem to be holding off as outbreaks of Covid bubble to the surface around the country. Added to that several states have border restrictions that are in a state of change on a regular basis. Cheers,

Archived