Do we (and the EU) now need to extend the transition period?

StuartO

Given that both we and the EU are struggling with coronavirus and that there is no agreement for a non-turbulent end to the Transition Period, would it make sense to extend transition terms (i.e. preseve the status quo) for a period long enough for both sides to have got the virus under proper control? I was thinking of another twelve months.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would have made sense back in July Stuart when we had that option and knew just how bad Covid was going to be come the winter but we are truly through the looking glass now. Yes it would still make sense but since when was making sense something that this government or Brexiteers subscribed to. Its them that will suffer the most so lets rip that plaster right off and get it over with.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-12-20 9:48 AM

It would have made sense back in July Stuart when we had that option and knew just how bad Covid was going to be come the winter but we are truly through the looking glass now. Yes it would still make sense but since when was making sense something that this government or Brexiteers subscribed to. Its them that will suffer the most so lets rip that plaster right off and get it over with.

Sadly it's against EU law (lol) (lol) (lol) ............

Oooh the delicious irony >:-) ........

Guest pelmetman
mtravel - 2020-12-20 10:44 AM

It depended on me I would say: for too long you have been a pain in the ass for all of Europe.

No gentlemen, too late, even if you wish you cannot.

Its been a pleasure :D ........

No dont thank me (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

pelmetman - 2020-12-20 9:53 AM

Treaties are merely glorified contracts between consenting legal entities. If both parties are in agreement, the terms can be varied at any time that the treaty is in force, including changing the contractual end-date.

Brian Kirby - 2020-12-20 12:11 PM

Treaties are merely glorified contracts between consenting legal entities. If both parties are in agreement, the terms can be varied at any time that the treaty is in force, including changing the contractual end-date.

And presumably UK Government and the EU can agree to do something mutually beneficial anytime they like, even if it is something that might be otherwise have been somehow illegal. I was just wondering whether there would still be enough willingness on the EU side (because of the impending fishing rights losses for example and the gain in revenue from the UK) by extending rather than going off a cliff on January 1st. Anyway I hope Boris knows what he's doing.

I'm inclined, much against my instincts, to agree. Let's go for the cold shower, leave with no agreement, and then see how long it takes before the penny drops and we begin to negotiate as a third country, instead of as a partial ex-member. It will take quite a time (five years?), and there will be considerable early backlash and recrimination both sides of the Channel, but a number of hard lessons will be learned on all sides.

My expectations are that we'd end up negotiating as virtual supplicants, from a far weaker economic position than at present, but who knows? Maybe we'd end up negotiating to re-join instead, with no rebate on our budget contribution (as, based on our then economic strength, we wouldn't warrant one), but would have to accept Schengen, Economic and Monetary Union, the Area of Freedom, Security and Justice, and the Euro (which would by then, I think, prove a relief). At any rate, we should by then have seen how many of the Brexiter Jingoist's jam-tomorrow predictions had proved right, and we might even have learned to live without Jingoism, which would be a good thing.

StuartO - 2020-12-20 12:26 PM

And presumably UK Government and the EU can agree to do something mutually beneficial anytime they like, even if it is something that might be otherwise have been somehow illegal. I was just wondering whether there would still be enough willingness on the EU side (because of the impending fishing rights losses for example and the gain in revenue from the UK) by extending rather than going off a cliff on January 1st. Anyway I hope Boris knows what he's doing.

I don't see how the bold above might arise. Breaking the terms unilaterally would be illegal in international law (just as it is in the case of a breach of a civil contract in national law). If both sides agree (providing in so doing no other international undertakings are breached) they can do pretty much whatever they choose. All they need do is jointly agree to vary the terms of the original agreement, and then sign on the dotted line.

Anyway I hope Boris knows what he's doing.

I think he does

He knows the EU can't give us a better deal than its Members - they have said so often enough.

He knows that he will own the bum deal we would get

So he is going for no deal and blaming the EU

Trying to rake up more jingoistic wartime nationalism, with his newspapers saying Merkel wants to make us crawl over glass for a deal etc

The majority of voters won't fall for it but he doesn't need a majority

He got an 80 seat majority with a minority of votes :-S

Brian Kirby - 2020-12-20 12:53 PM

I don't see how the bold above might arise. Breaking the terms unilaterally would be illegal in international law (just as it is in the case of a breach of a civil contract in national law). If both sides agree (providing in so doing no other international undertakings are breached) they can do pretty much whatever they choose. All they need do is jointly agree to vary the terms of the original agreement, and then sign on the dotted line.

If I understand you correctly you are agreeing with me. Sovereign governments can make agreements about anything, overriding any pre-existing laws of their own or previous agreements between them, as long as they don't agree to conflict with fundamental international obligations, for example as they would if they decided to re-introduce slavery.

If you agree with me why can't you just say so?

Guest pelmetman

Do you really think the EU could renegotiate a contract in just 11 days? 8-) .......

They cant even approve a vaccine in weeks during a Pandemic *-) ........

Growing fear ?

At least for those with a few neurons left.

It depended on me I would say: for too long you have been a pain in the ass for all of Europe.

Europe’s ass needs a good kicking as many in it are not happy with how it is going.

StuartO - 2020-12-20 9:33 AM

Given that both we and the EU are struggling with coronavirus and that there is no agreement for a non-turbulent end to the Transition Period, would it make sense to extend transition terms (i.e. preseve the status quo) for a period long enough for both sides to have got the virus under proper control? I was thinking of another twelve months.

Obviously it would make sense but neither this government or Brexit headbangers 'do' commonsense. Both are hell bent on pursuing the most massive self harm in history. Take a look at some of the links i've been posting on other threads.....Trucks backed up for 25km either side of the Channel as UK retailers begin stockpiling to prepare for the Armageddon of third country status requiring every truck to be checked and accompanied by a raft of documentation eight inches thick. Where are the staff to deal with that? Training a customs entry clerk takes 6 -18 months. Before joining the SM Dover Port alone had 130 Customs agents dealing with the truckers.....now there are just 17 as after joining the SM in '92 they didn't need so many but the volume of trucks coming in has more than doubled.

Johnson and his government have completely ignored the logistics involved over freight and many European truckers will turn their backs on the UK in preference to running in EU countries where they can earn a living. When a truck isn't rolling, it's driver isn't earning.

Listen to people actually on the front line instead of Johnsons clowns and Brexit headbangers. Listen to people like Steve Applebee, CEO of Harbour shipping at Dover, John Shirley, boss of a freight forwarding company in Dover or Cieran, a British courier delivery driver whose transported goods in every European country. These are the people Johnson (and Brexiteers) should be listening to instead of trotting out silly soundbites all the time.

jumpstart - 2020-12-20 1:54 PM

Growing fear ?

Europe’s ass needs a good kicking as many in it are not happy with how it is going.

This is not true at all J/start and you've been completely misled possibly from reading views of some anti-EU (generally far right) opinions. Support has grown stronger. But why would you concern yourself over the EU after voting to leave it? You no longer have any say in what they do and you need to pay attention to sorting the mess Brexiteers have created in this country rather than mithering over what any other country/s is/are doing. You're accountable for the mess......not the EU, not Covid. Get a move on.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/brexit-eu-survey-italy-ireland-portugal-eurosceptic-poll-a8888126.html

If another transition period is arranged, with Johnsons u-turn record - he may well apply to rejoin the EU by the end of it.

;-)

malc d - 2020-12-20 3:28 PM

If another transition period is arranged, with Johnsons u-turn record - he may well apply to rejoin the EU by the end of it.

;-)

LOL! That would be feckin funny! Imagine if that happened. Pelmet would simply explode. Mind you with a clear majority now in favour of remaining? (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-12-20 3:07 PM

jumpstart - 2020-12-20 1:54 PM

Growing fear ?

This is not true at all J/start and you've been completely misled possibly from reading views of some anti-EU (generally far right) opinions. Support has grown stronger. But why would you concern yourself over the EU after voting to leave it? You no longer have any say in what they do and you need to pay attention to sorting the mess Brexiteers have created in this country rather than mithering over what any other country/s is/are doing. You're accountable for the mess......not the EU, not Covid. Get a move on.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/brexit-eu-survey-italy-ireland-portugal-eurosceptic-poll-a8888126.html

Watch out Jumpstart ;-) .........

Looks like Bullet Liar is lining you up for his new hate figure after I've left :D ........

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-12-20 3:42 PM

malc d - 2020-12-20 3:28 PM

;-)

LOL! That would be feckin funny! Imagine if that happened. Pelmet would simply explode. Mind you with a clear majority now in favour of remaining? (lol)

Seems to me when Malc got off the fence ;-) .........

He arrived in Narnia aka Barryland :D .......

Archived