What Time Will The ...

Birdbrain

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, but then I didn't promise it for today. Where as the government promised frictionless trade.

"Roger White arrived in France at 2.30pm on Tuesday with a truckload of hard cheese from Somerset.

Before Brexit he would have rolled off the Eurotunnel train and carried on up the A16 to Belgium, unloading his wares a few hours later at his ultimate destination in Utrecht.

But 24 hours after setting foot on European soil, the 69-year-old driver from Yeovil is still sitting in his cab in the Eurotunnel compound in Calais after being asked to reverse into a special unloading bay at a newly built border control post for sanitary and phytosanitary checks (SPS) checks on food.

“I’ve been here since yesterday afternoon and I am stuck here until God knows when. I have to wait until I am cleared to go,” he said.

He knew there was trouble ahead when he drove off the shuttle and the electronic display assigned him the orange lane instead of the green, indicating he would be subjected to an inspection by authorities.

“I think they are picking on the English trucks maybe,” he said, as there was nothing wrong with the cheese. “Just missing paperwork.” Until it arrived, he would not be free to go.

“I am just waiting here. It is terrible – not good at all,” he said.

A driver for 48 years, White remembers what it was like before the single market in 1993 swept away the trade barriers that Brexit has re-erected.

“We had customs checks before but it was so well organised on the border,” he remembers. “Everybody is learning as they go. You can do your preparations beforehand but it’s not enough. All of this is new to everyone and unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it. We just have to get used to it,” he said.

Eurotunnel traffic is exceptionally low seven days after Brexit with drivers and exporters still avoiding the ports and Channel train services, partly because of pre-Brexit stockpiling and partly because business is conventionally quieter in the first two weeks of the new year.

In normal times, 6,000 to 9,000 HGVs cross the Channel each day, but the Department for Transport said just over 2,000 HGVs crossed on 6 January, the day of the Guardian’s visit, with “90%” of those trucks border-ready. It tested 1,081 drivers for Covid that day, with six coming back positive, bringing the number of tests carried out on drivers to 46,563 since the chaos on 23 December.

Just down from White’s truck are another 30 or 40 HGVs also waiting clearance. The French drivers Benjamin Brogniart and Michael Delattre have come from Corby in Northamptonshire with lorries packed with red plastic packaging for industrial batteries.

They have been stuck in the lorry park since 8pm the night before.

“Brexit, for us, it’s not very good,” said Brogniart.

Another French driver, Alexandre Tronet, joins the conversation. “This is what you wanted. You wanted Brexit,” he said.

“I got here at 6am,” he added, putting his waiting time so far at six and a half hours. Again he has to wait until the freight owner sends over the correct customs paperwork to authorities stationed at the Eurotunnel border post.

“You make the decisions at the last minute. They should have had this ready in the autumn and this would be running properly,” he said.

ust down from White’s truck are another 30 or 40 HGVs also waiting clearance. The French drivers Benjamin Brogniart and Michael Delattre have come from Corby in Northamptonshire with lorries packed with red plastic packaging for industrial batteries.

They have been stuck in the lorry park since 8pm the night before.

“Brexit, for us, it’s not very good,” said Brogniart.

Another French driver, Alexandre Tronet, joins the conversation. “This is what you wanted. You wanted Brexit,” he said.

“I got here at 6am,” he added, putting his waiting time so far at six and a half hours. Again he has to wait until the freight owner sends over the correct customs paperwork to authorities stationed at the Eurotunnel border post.

“You make the decisions at the last minute. They should have had this ready in the autumn and this would be running properly,” he said.

These maiden Brexit disruptions offer a glimpse of the potential for delays when traffic levels at Dover and Calais return to normal levels at the end of this month. Eurotunnel said it had been Brexit-ready since March 2019 when it first put the infrastructure now being deployed in place at a cost of £47m."

In other news

Europes biggest windfarm project mobilisation site is about to move from Grimsby to Holland. Only 1 week in and they've already had enough of the paperwork. British surveyors will no long bé able to work on the project due to work visa and tax issues. Continuing the cycle of no British people or companies having the knowledge to construct offshore wind farms (the future) . Lack of complete foresight . The exact same happened in the nuclear and coal fired power stations (hence why electricity is imported from France as well as the all new power stations)

Any new hospitals been built yet? Anyone?

Nope......thought not.

Any foundations dug yet? Nope.....thought not.

NHS had their £350m a week yet? Nope.....thought not. Still waiting.

Where are the 5000 new border control officers promised? Oh wow.........in five years they set 16 on? Wow thats brilliant.....only 4984 more to go then. *-)

Brian Kirby - 2021-01-09 4:06 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-01-08 9:09 PM................................ So we wont now have a return to big time 'troubles' then as promised ...

As who promised?

I don't think he knows.....he mutters a lot to himself since his echo chamber pal ran off.

Bulletguy - 2021-01-09 9:13 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-01-08 9:09 PM................................ So we wont now have a return to big time 'troubles' then as promised ...

As who promised?

I don't think he knows.....he mutters a lot to himself since his echo chamber pal ran off.

Taking of muttering to yaself hows the family ???

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-10 5:44 PM

Seems that even Doris is struggling to find a Brexit benefit

https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/johnson-pleads-with-business-leaders-give-me-a-reason-for-brexit/

LOL! I saw that earlier. Good luck with that. We have been asking Brexiteers for nearly 5 years what rules, regs and laws they want to do away with when we leave the EU. I think it likely we will find the Holy Grail before one of them comes up with something.

Brian Kirby - 2021-01-10 6:07 PM

As who promised? Knock, knock. You in Antony?

You among others Brian ... Stop being so silly

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-11 12:41 AM

Oh look the Adam Smith Institute complaining about how crap the deal is! This really is the gift that keeps on giving

https://www.adamsmith.org/blog/say-goodbye-to-british-fish

But but but ... Whats his opening sentence, the deal may "be a good deal overall" Chuckle, if thats a fella complaining "how crap the deal is" ya more stoopid than I thought ... You need to have a word with ya fellow sister on here Barry ... How many times on here and everywhere did he tell everyone just how minuscule and unimportant the UK fishing industry is ??? ... Try again Farty

I hope Pelmethead is still reading his bible

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9132689/Supermarket-shelves-hit-Brexit-port-chaos-staff-shortages-stores-run-low-fruit-veg.html?ito=amp_twitter_share-top

"Meanwhile, food industry experts and the Cabinet minister with responsibility for Brexit, Michael Gove, have warned that problems at the ports are likely to escalate from today as the number of trucks going through Dover and the Channel Tunnel rises to normal levels after a New Year lull as the French step up enforcement of post-Brexit paperwork.

Freight expert John Shirley said: ‘The chaos has begun. Organising even the simplest load to Europe has become an almost impossible task due to the mountain of red tape brought in on January 1.’

The Road Haulage Association said there are already logjams and this situation will escalate when border controls with France are stepped up from today."

Is this fast enough for you Chuckles?

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-11 12:28 PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9132689/Supermarket-shelves-hit-Brexit-port-chaos-staff-shortages-stores-run-low-fruit-veg.html?ito=amp_twitter_share-top

"Meanwhile, food industry experts and the Cabinet minister with responsibility for Brexit, Michael Gove, have warned that problems at the ports are likely to escalate from today as the number of trucks going through Dover and the Channel Tunnel rises to normal levels after a New Year lull as the French step up enforcement of post-Brexit paperwork.

Freight expert John Shirley said: ‘The chaos has begun. Organising even the simplest load to Europe has become an almost impossible task due to the mountain of red tape brought in on January 1.’

The Road Haulage Association said there are already logjams and this situation will escalate when border controls with France are stepped up from today."

Is this fast enough for you Chuckles?

John Shirley @ 2.57pm today

Ciaran continental courier @ 3.49pm today

John Clark fishing @ 1.15pm today.......fish selling for just £8 a box that normally sell at £40 - £60. 8-)

Birdbrain - 2021-01-10 7:37 PM

You among others Brian .....

Show where I made any such promise then. Come on, chop, chop!

Brian Kirby - 2021-01-11 5:59 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-01-10 7:37 PM

You among others Brian .....

Show where I made any such promise then. Come on, chop, chop!

Chuckle ... We, including you dont do that on here do we ... Lost count the amount of times I have asked you for proof of what ya puke only to get ... Nowt ... Reap what you sow sister

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-11 12:28 PM

My wife went to Sainsburys today saw no bananas a member of staff asked what she was looking for when told opened the drawer lower down and let her select from a full draw he explanation to my wife was it's to stop the hoarders taking all of them. So perhaps other supermarkets are doing the same

Archived