CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-03 7:42 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-01-03 7:36 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-03 7:28 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-01-03 7:24 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-03 7:21 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-01-03 7:18 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-03 7:12 PM

jumpstart - 2021-01-03 7:08 PM

Does the same apply to supermarket check out ladies/guys.

They are as close to shoppers all day long as teachers to kids ,perhaps supermarkets should also be closed.

There is a plexiglass screen and two masks in the equation in the supermarket, its also a limited five minute exchange of air, none of which is applies in the schools.

Much bigger turnover of people in a supermarket than a school classroom ... Your argument makes no sense

It does when you understand the importance of viral load in covid transmission.

You obviously understand it so prove it ... Prove you are more likely to catch Covid in a classroom than in a supermarket ... Off ya pop Farty

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4944

Chuckle ... Did you actually post that in response to my question ??? ... Chuckle ... Where does it address my question in that princess ??? More reading for ya from the same source ... https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/high-rate-of-symptomless-covid-19-infection-among-grocery-store-workers/ ... Think before replying

From the link

Yes, according to a review of the current evidence by the UK’s New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG). Its 18 December report said that the rate of transmission of the variant, known as B.1.1.7 or VUI 202012/01 (variant under investigation, year 2020, month 12, variant 01), was 71% (95% confidence interval 67% to 75%), higher than for other variants, and that it may also have a higher viral load.1 While previous variants have emerged without clear evidence of having a selective advantage, the report noted, the “emergence and subsequent dominance” of this new variant in a period of relatively high prevalence indicated that it does have a “selective advantage over other variants.”

The viral load is higher in Hospitals ,Schools,Supermarkets ....anywhere there are a lot of people.

So back to the point,Supermarkets are no different than schools.

Go and educate yourself on viral load and how it influences the severity of the infection, little hint its not related to the number of people in a space.

Viral load is the measure of particles of virus.....more infected people = more viral load.

So viral load in Supermarket or School both much the same situation.

Viral load depends on how much someone is shedding the virus and how long you are exposed to them, it's why so many health care professionals got so ill before adequate PPE was provided. A teacher will be exposed to a potential threat in the course of the day the day if one child is infected compared to a checkout operator, this takes on particular significance with the new variant that children are more susceptible to.

And the supermarket checkout worker is also exposed all day ,so from your own points there is little difference.

So you need to take into account the number of people infected, so in London its 903 per 100,000 - let's call it1 in 1,000. Now if that one infected person goes shopping the checkout staff will be exposed to them for five minutes, separated by a mask and screen. If that infected person is in school, either as a pupil or teacher, everyone else in the classroom is exposed, without masks or screens, for the duration of the school day - which leads to a much higher viral load.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-04 8:59 AM

jumpstart - 2021-01-04 7:03 AM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-03 9:52 PM

jumpstart - 2021-01-03 8:52 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-03 8:07 PM

jumpstart - 2021-01-03 7:57 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-03 7:42 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-01-03 7:36 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-03 7:28 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-01-03 7:24 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-03 7:21 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-01-03 7:18 PM

They are as close to shoppers all day long as teachers to kids ,perhaps supermarkets should also be closed.

There is a plexiglass screen and two masks in the equation in the supermarket, its also a limited five minute exchange of air, none of which is applies in the schools.

Much bigger turnover of people in a supermarket than a school classroom ... Your argument makes no sense

It does when you understand the importance of viral load in covid transmission.

You obviously understand it so prove it ... Prove you are more likely to catch Covid in a classroom than in a supermarket ... Off ya pop Farty

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4944

Chuckle ... Did you actually post that in response to my question ??? ... Chuckle ... Where does it address my question in that princess ??? More reading for ya from the same source ... https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/high-rate-of-symptomless-covid-19-infection-among-grocery-store-workers/ ... Think before replying

From the link

Yes, according to a review of the current evidence by the UK’s New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG). Its 18 December report said that the rate of transmission of the variant, known as B.1.1.7 or VUI 202012/01 (variant under investigation, year 2020, month 12, variant 01), was 71% (95% confidence interval 67% to 75%), higher than for other variants, and that it may also have a higher viral load.1 While previous variants have emerged without clear evidence of having a selective advantage, the report noted, the “emergence and subsequent dominance” of this new variant in a period of relatively high prevalence indicated that it does have a “selective advantage over other variants.”

The viral load is higher in Hospitals ,Schools,Supermarkets ....anywhere there are a lot of people.

So back to the point,Supermarkets are no different than schools.

Go and educate yourself on viral load and how it influences the severity of the infection, little hint its not related to the number of people in a space.

Viral load is the measure of particles of virus.....more infected people = more viral load.

So viral load in Supermarket or School both much the same situation.

Viral load depends on how much someone is shedding the virus and how long you are exposed to them, it's why so many health care professionals got so ill before adequate PPE was provided. A teacher will be exposed to a potential threat in the course of the day the day if one child is infected compared to a checkout operator, this takes on particular significance with the new variant that children are more susceptible to.

And the supermarket checkout worker is also exposed all day ,so from your own points there is little difference.

So you need to take into account the number of people infected, so in London its 903 per 100,000 - let's call it1 in 1,000. Now if that one infected person goes shopping the checkout staff will be exposed to them for five minutes, separated by a mask and screen. If that infected person is in school, either as a pupil or teacher, everyone else in the classroom is exposed, without masks or screens, for the duration of the school day - which leads to a much higher viral load.

So masks and screen at schools it is then.

What about child careers?

Or instead of jabs for the elderly in care homes do teachers first, or NHS or Police or fire service or supermarket checkout staff.

jumpstart - 2021-01-04 7:00 AM

colin - 2021-01-03 9:52 PM

jumpstart - 2021-01-03 7:51 PM

Could do the same in school.

Many checkout people this morning were not wearing face coverings in Tesco,but did have a screen.

So kids wear masks and teacher behind a screen.

Every day in term time two school busses go down or road both full of infants, I'd say there is a fair chance of transmission there. Then we have the kids playing together in the school. And yes they do as I observe when going past the school.

But the argument is not valid, there needs to be a way of getting food to homes, there is no viable way of doing that without supermarkets at this time.

Presumably the same then applies to child care workers, they should also not be working according to you.

You can come up with all the whatif's you like, SAGE have said schools need to close to bring down Rn, I think they are right, but then I'm no expert. The London schools AFAIK are all closed, the schools in our larger towns have taken decision to close.

Last night they interviewed the teacher from a local school who lost her hands and feet due to CV-19 complications, she is remarkably upbeat, and a firm believer in education, she made the point that it might be a good idea to close schools in tier4 areas, my only dispute with that would be, we where in tier3 until newCV-19 ripped through the schools, and that led to tier4, I can see this happening across the entire country.

Meanwhile gf went past local offroad bike park yesterday, carpark with couple of hundred cars was full, loads of 20/30 y.o.s no social distancing,

One thing thats not really been touched on is time. Time spent exposed to the airborne virus aerosol.

This is an interesting article and scrolling graphic. Scroll down the page and all will be relieved. Its been posted before and is from a reliable source.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html

Where would someone spend more time? A person shopping in a shop where someone has Covid or a teacher or child in a school where someone has covid? Also in supermarkets there is more mask wearing going on generally and far less close contact. However supermarkets have been recently flagged up as risk areas. Any area where people congregate is its just that schools with this new variant especially may well be much worse!

Anyway, as said, SAGE have advised they close them, probably for the above reasons so I expect my government to follow the science with immediate effect!

Barryd999 - 2021-01-04 10:33 AM

Where would someone spend more time? A person shopping in a shop where someone has Covid or a teacher or child in a school where someone has covid? Also in supermarkets there is more mask wearing going on generally and far less close contact. However supermarkets have been recently flagged up as risk areas. Any area where people congregate is its just that schools with this new variant especially may well be much worse!

It's not any sort of comparison, shopping isn't particuly 'safe', and I would say those working in supermarkets or any other type of shop are at risk, but the simple fact is we don't have the capacity to supply food by delivery, and closing food shop might well lead to loss of control by the government. Closing schools is far from perfect, but experience has shown closing them brings down the Rn. Maybe more people need to appreciate those who do jobs which keep the country going, but I'm not holding my breath.

colin - 2021-01-04 12:26 PM

It's not any sort of comparison, shopping isn't particuly 'safe', and I would say those working in supermarkets or any other type of shop are at risk, but the simple fact is we don't have the capacity to supply food by delivery, and closing food shop might well lead to loss of control by the government. Closing schools is far from perfect, but experience has shown closing them brings down the Rn. Maybe more people need to appreciate those who do jobs which keep the country going, but I'm not holding my breath.

I've been doing my grocery shop online for a year now and though there was a period it became nigh on impossible to get delivery slots, it's improved since (I believe) they've taken on more drivers. Costs have risen though and the few lower price slots disappear very quickly and often a week in advance.

I think more people will continue using online food delivery even after Covid has finally got sorted. It suits me as I always hated the weekly supermarket shop and would be in and out as quickly as possible. It was just a necessary drudge to me!

Bulletguy - 2021-01-04 2:05 PM

colin - 2021-01-04 12:26 PM

I've been doing my grocery shop online for a year now and though there was a period it became nigh on impossible to get delivery slots, it's improved since (I believe) they've taken on more drivers. Costs have risen though and the few lower price slots disappear very quickly and often a week in advance.

I think more people will continue using online food delivery even after Covid has finally got sorted. It suits me as I always hated the weekly supermarket shop and would be in and out as quickly as possible. It was just a necessary drudge to me!

Well you seam to be fortunate. Just tried Waitrose ..nothing available for two weeks.

All the times we tried whilst on Dartmoor we never managed to get a slot with 3 different supermarkets.

And just tried Tesco here in Sometset...nothing.

Whenever we looked, we have never had a great deal of luck wih finding available "slots"...

So from pretty early on, we've just used the "click and collect" option, as there as always been plenty of choice/availabily (in our area).

Roll up in your vehicle, press the intercom, and a few minutes later they roll out conatiners with you shopping in!

What's not to like,

(You may not always get the longest "use by dates",( but you can just reject stuff there and then if they are too short) AND it all helps to keep folk out of the store who don't really need/want to be there).

I think much depends on locality as i've just looked at my local Morrisons which is the one I mainly use and they have slots showing all next week. Just after noon and the few lower price ones sell out first. I also opened an account at Asda and Iceland which i've rarely used but are there as a backup.

I think the key is to plan ahead. Mrs D handles all this but I remotely do a Tesco order for one of my retired and vulnerable farmer friends every couple of weeks and it seems to work as long as you allow a couple of weeks and dont go looking for a slot as you start to run out of food. in other words book your next slot as soon as your delivery arrives (you cant block book and rightly so)

She has two going with Morrisons and Tesco. The fridge, freezer and cupboards have been rammed to bursting since before all this started but she always seemed to stockpile stuff (dont ask me why).

Tesco seem about the best as regards substitutes and if stuff is wrong or not within 5 days use by date they will refund it in full. Never had a problem up here and not been supermarket shopping for nearly a year.

Barryd999 - 2021-01-04 3:27 PM

I think the key is to plan ahead. Mrs D handles all this but I remotely do a Tesco order for one of my retired and vulnerable farmer friends every couple of weeks and it seems to work as long as you allow a couple of weeks and dont go looking for a slot as you start to run out of food. in other words book your next slot as soon as your delivery arrives (you cant block book and rightly so)

She has two going with Morrisons and Tesco. The fridge, freezer and cupboards have been rammed to bursting since before all this started but she always seemed to stockpile stuff (dont ask me why).

Tesco seem about the best as regards substitutes and if stuff is wrong or not within 5 days use by date they will refund it in full. Never had a problem up here and not been supermarket shopping for nearly a year

Chuckle ... "not been supermarket shopping for nearly a year" ... Chuckle ... How could ya ... Your too busy Breixt/Tory/Farage/Boris bitching all over christ knows how many forums, Farcebook, ya Labour support groups and chatting with ya government insider blah blah blah ... Hate on

Tesco seem about the best as regards substitutes and if stuff is wrong or not within 5 days use by date they will refund it in full. Never had a problem up here and not been supermarket shopping for nearly a year.

That sounds like you have it sussed. I'll send you our list later.

Birdbrain - 2021-01-04 3:35 PM

Tesco seem about the best as regards substitutes and if stuff is wrong or not within 5 days use by date they will refund it in full. Never had a problem up here and not been supermarket shopping for nearly a year

Chuckle ... "not been supermarket shopping for nearly a year" ... Chuckle ... How could ya ... Your too busy Breixt/Tory/Farage/Boris bitching all over christ knows how many forums, Farcebook, ya Labour support groups and chatting with ya government insider blah blah blah ... Hate on

Stupid Boy.

Ill rephrase it. "I" as in me, have not been supermarket shopping for several years apart from perusing the Cheese counters in France. Why on earth would I ever go supermarket shopping you fool? It doesnt take long to come up with something to bash Johnson with, there is material everywhere and every day! takes but a minute. Labour support groups? (lol)

Barry was truthful about his Government insider feeding him information. :-)

Unfortunately his name was Sergei who operates from an underground bunker near Red Square. To be honest though, he duped more than Barry. He conned joke 52 and bulletgay. Sergei finds it is easy work when they are lonely old men without wives or close family. :D

One thing thats not really been touched on is time. Time spent exposed to the airborne virus aerosol.

This is an interesting article and scrolling graphic. Scroll down the page and all will be relieved. Its been posted before and is from a reliable source.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html

Anyway, as said, SAGE have advised they close them, probably for the above reasons so I expect my government to follow the science with immediate effect!

Brilliant link Barry. Very sobering indeed - and clever. The "related story" on the "K factor" is also informative. Excellent find! :-D

747 - 2021-01-04 4:20 PM

Barry was truthful about his Government insider feeding him information. :-)

Unfortunately his name was Sergei who operates from an underground bunker near Red Square. To be honest though, he duped more than Barry. He conned joke 52 and bulletgay. Sergei finds it is easy work when they are lonely old men without wives or close family. :D

Chuckle ... Joke52 in his builders van ... Bulletgay in his bedsit ... Septic in his bed gloom ... Theme going on

Barryd999 - 2021-01-04 4:03 PM

Stupid Boy.

Ill rephrase it. "I" as in me, have not been supermarket shopping for several years apart from perusing the Cheese counters in France. Why on earth would I ever go supermarket shopping you fool? It doesnt take long to come up with something to bash Johnson with, there is material everywhere and every day! takes but a minute. Labour support groups? (lol)

"Why on earth would I ever go supermarket shopping you fool?" ... Well I suppose you wouldnt ... It might mean you'd have to wash before going ... Might mean you'd lose valuable bitching time ... Might mean you'd actually have to talk face to face to an actual human ... Might mean you'd need the local farmer to get some machinery out of ya bed gloom window for ya to escape seen as the stairs are a no-no

Birdbrain - 2021-01-04 5:00 PM

Barryd999 - 2021-01-04 4:03 PM

Stupid Boy.

"Why on earth would I ever go supermarket shopping you fool?" ... Well I suppose you wouldnt ... It might mean you'd have to wash before going ... Might mean you'd lose valuable bitching time ... Might mean you'd actually have to talk face to face to an actual human ... Might mean you'd need the local farmer to get some machinery out of ya bed gloom window for ya to escape seen as the stairs are a no-no

More racism regarding the Stairs! In case you havent noticed none of us are really supposed to be going anywhere so having a face to face conversation with an actual human is probably against the rules. Bitching? dont make me laugh, its all you and the late (not so great) Pelmet ever did on here!

Brian Kirby - 2021-01-04 4:49 PM

Brilliant link Barry. Very sobering indeed - and clever. The "related story" on the "K factor" is also informative. Excellent find! :-D

Yes it is very sobering. The amount of time spent indoors is everything. Hence schools, pubs, restaurants, offices or anywhere where you might be for several hours rather than five minutes in a shop is a real risk, socially distanced or not. Everyone should read that link and watch the graphic.

Must have missed this one , excellent post.

Just goes to prove if kids and teachers wear masks, don't shout and ventilate the room the risk is minimal.

Air conditioning may not be the best way to do it as it involves putting the recirculation air through filters.

Just open widows and wear coats.

Archived