Help Please Winnebago Auto Park Stuck On

GruffsWinnie

Hi we are the owners of a 1995 Winnebago Itasca sun cruiser, we have just joined the forum as the auto park brake is stuck on, looking for suggestions from the forum members as to what to look at, my other half is a mechanic but has a bad back and recently had a hip replacement so would like suggestions before he crawls underneath

Hi GruffsWinnie and welcome,

What chassis or base vehicle is your Winnebago built on please?

I'm guessing the handbrake will be an original part of the chassis rather than a Winnebago add on, but???

Keith.

PS I do not think there are many American RV owners on here so if you do not get any help then maybe try the American RV Owners forum https://www.rvoc.co.uk/forum/

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums

It’s probable that few (if any) members of this forum own an American RV, so the chances are very small of you obtaining specific help here about your Winnebago’s parking brake fault.

A GOOGLE-search indicates that parking brake problems are not uknown with older Itasco Suncruisers.

https://bit.ly/3cxOyst

and you may well get advice on the forums that concentrate on RVs.

Try the USA “Winnie Owners” forum

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f272/park-brake-problems-240634.html

or (as Keth has suggested) the UK’s RV Owners Club

https://www.rvoc.co.uk/forum/

As others have said, there's probably better forums than this for Winnebago issues. I just Googled your Q and this came up. Hope it's some use, but try going on to a US based forum

We have a 1998 32-foot Itasca Suncruiser on (I think) a P30 GM chassis. The emergency brake has malfunctioned (our model is connected to the driveshaft). We have been unable to find RV mechanics with experience, or even Chevrolet mechanics in our area, who know how to repair a model this old. Can you recommend anyone in our area who can help with this problem?

Robert King | Tulsa, Oklahoma

These systems are known as the J71 AutoPark Brake and have a reputation for being problematic. There are several problem areas including hydraulics, switches and other controls, but when properly set up and maintained the brake can provide satisfactory service. One excellent free online resource with photos and text is by Roger Haag (aka oldusedbear) in Bookings, Oregon (www.rvautopark.com). He also sells some parts. Another good source of parts and info is Ultra RV Products in Centralia, Washington (800-417-4559, www.ultrarvproducts.com). Most of the work can be done by a DIYer. I don’t know of any such shops in your area personally. However, typing “The Best 10 RV Repair in Tulsa, OK” into the www.yelp.com website brought up some shops with good reviews. You could also ask the Ultra RV folks if they can recommend shops around Tulsa.

If banging the drum with a hammer don't work Some how with the vehicle in gear try rocking it forward and back wards even if you need to get another vehicle with a tow rope to just jerk it a few times one way or the other or both . The usual cause with transmission type brakes sticking is poor adjustment / servicing

Your first port of call

Check the fuse behind your dash has not blown (it may not be) , If not remove it (bottom left row)

Please check your manual and fuse card

Note- Must be replaced with a recommended fuse.

Before replacing get underneath and check the power relay Pull back it's cover boot and you may see brown damp staining , Replace the relay and clean it's corresponding connections on the wiring loom with a good electrical cleaner

Make and break the connection a few times

Replace the blown/non blown fuse (fit a new one correct amp) behind the dash and check for power at the power relay

Ensure the rubber boot fits over the relay snug (spray later with a good sealant)

This hopefully should help

Regards

Archived