Million pound motorhomes

John52

It was completely bats and more about who owns the biggest or most expensive. The majority of those things drive to an overpriced campsite, park up, whizz the satellite thing around, and sit there for a few weeks before going back home. I got the feeling from some owners they needed to impress the neighbours.

The only motorhome that was ever going to be used was the couple who had the expedition truck built to travel the world. I've seen a few of those builds, they aren't cheap but you don't need to spend anything like the amount that couple spent. This guy converted his own and has traveled to some pretty extreme countries; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsdmVfN31z_pSCIH4_sWmCQ

It's a tv program, don't take what you see on it as 100% gospel. *-)

The combusting toilet was interesting, did it say a family could go a week before emptying? That could be a good idea if not on site, but don't know how much extra gas it uses.

colin - 2021-02-22 1:55 PM

The combusting toilet was interesting, did it say a family could go a week before emptying? That could be a good idea if not on site, but don't know how much extra gas it uses.

I thought combustion toilets where electric and not gas powered so possibly not much use unless you have EHU or a big battery bank and inverter!

If it was gas powered it would then need a flue to expel burnt gases outside the MH.

Keith.

Keithl - 2021-02-22 2:02 PM

I thought combustion toilets where electric and not gas powered so possibly not much use unless you have EHU or a big battery bank and inverter!

If it was gas powered it would then need a flue to expel burnt gases outside the MH.

Keith.

I'm not sure will have to look into it more.

p.s. Cinderella toilets are available using gas and electric

Bulletguy - 2021-02-22 1:44 PM

It was completely bats and more about who owns the biggest or most expensive. The majority of those things drive to an overpriced campsite, park up, whizz the satellite thing around, and sit there for a few weeks before going back home. I got the feeling from some owners they needed to impress the neighbours.

Exactly. It certainly wouldn't be practical for me because I couldn't park it in the paces I want to go - or even get to some of them at all.

I imagine they could be frustrating to own too. I could see gold plating flaking off the tap - the sort of imperfections you expect in a van that gets used, but irritating if you want one like that to be perfect.

Interesting though. Bit like looking at old cars. I've had enough of owning them, new cars are far better, but old ones more interesting to look at.

I thought the most interesting bit was seeing inside Baileys factory, and would like to see inside other motorhome factories.

Zydeco Joe - 2021-02-22 11:26 AM

Don't think I will use the £60 a night campsite even if you get free soap. B-)

You would be stuck with places like that I suppose. Which leaves you very restricted in where you can go and the sort of people you meet.

Even an ordinary motorhome is too restrictive for me so I stick with a 'stealth camper'

The smart saleswoman from IH said

'you can park it on your drive and get away wherever you want'

She didn't say where you can park it when you get there *-)

colin - 2021-02-22 2:08 PM

Keith.

I'm not sure will have to look into it more.

p.s. Cinderella toilets are available using gas and electric

Its nearly all water so must take a lot of electricity to reduce it to ash.

Using that amount of power doesn't sound very environmentally friendly?

Keith.

Yes for me the combustion toilet was probably the most interesting item. The rest was really “how the other half live”. The price mentioned for the toilet was £3000. I wonder how much over and above the cost of a conventional toilet would be added to a new motorhome if a combustion toilet was specified.

Cattwg :-D

Cattwg - 2021-02-22 4:50 PM

Yes for me the combustion toilet was probably the most interesting item. The rest was really “how the other half live”. The price mentioned for the toilet was £3000. I wonder how much over and above the cost of a conventional toilet would be added to a new motorhome if a combustion toilet was specified.

Cattwg :-D

Doesn't look like a very good idea to me.

But I suppose its something to placate people who are totally put off motorhomes by the thought of carrying and dealing with toilet waste.

I’ve stayed at Concierge Camping and it really is a very nice site with excellent facilities in a beautiful part of the world . The owners were very pleasant and helpful .

The majority of the people on the programme “ showing off “ their motorhome were most unpleasant.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2021-02-22 3:20 PM

When they get home , I wonder if any of them claim they've been " wild " camping.

;-)

I'm tempted to book Horace in ;-) ......

I'm always keen to mix with the Hoi polloi :D ........

Grumpyman - 2021-02-25 2:10 PM

Anyone who pays that sort of money for a campsite must be off their trolley.

I am guessing they do because they are happy too, everyone looks for different things out their motorhome hobby and if a very nice site is what you are looking for and you have been successful enough in life to afford it, why not? Rather than off their trolley I am guessing they have been rather successful somewhere along the line and can afford it. For non motorhomers (and many motorhomers) £60 is too close to a hotel price (budget at any rate) and therefore £60 for a campsite seems ridiculous, however, the people interviewed on the tv programme paid a lot of money for their vans and are happy to pay £60 a night to enjoy them in nice surroundings. You of course see others with similar expensive vans who take great pride in seeking out free places on dusty car parks for weeks on end in Spain, each to their own.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived