Run out

Pete-B

I like to move the van for the sake of the brake discs too

Left one stood for months, and the brake discs were ruined by a patch of rust - which I guess was formed by the pads holding water on it.

Tried sanding it off but it was not a success - still had to replace the discs.

I take my van out every 2nd week for essential shopping or to visit my old mum who lives on her own.

It gets a good run of about 20-30 miles, just enough to get everything warmed up, oil flowing, warm, the tyre's and get some charge into the batteries.

lucky in that my MH is parked on my driveway I suppose.

If you mean getting out and about then not until end March/April or May from what the PM said today.

I don't believe a run of even 20-30 miles, particularly if done regularly, will clear the catalytic convertor, and would probably create more problems than doing nothing. It needs a good high speed blast of 50miles plus to ensure the carbon particulates are burnt off.

Using a winter cover with wheel covers as well has kept my motorhome free from any rust problems as well as clean and damp free.

Dick

DickB - 2021-02-22 11:46 PM

I don't believe a run of even 20-30 miles, particularly if done regularly, will clear the catalytic convertor, and would probably create more problems than doing nothing. It needs a good high speed blast of 50miles plus to ensure the carbon particulates are burnt off.

Using a winter cover with wheel covers as well has kept my motorhome free from any rust problems as well as clean and damp free.

Dick

I thought covers did more harm than good (except where they keep strong sunlight off the tyres) because they keep the damp air and condensation in?

And the cover causes abrasion to the paintwork flapping against it in the wind?

Whilst it is questionable that a regular 20 or 30 mile winter temperature will serve to "passively" regenerate a DPF, most engines will have control systems to perform an "active" regeneration, this taking under a quarter of an hour.

Important will be the vehicle design, how up close the oxidising cat and DPF are mounted and shielded, so how hot and how quickly they get heated up being a big "driver".

See the RACs take on this:-

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emissions/diesel-particulate-filters/

Though of course, not running the vehicle at all there will not be any carbon being deposited to clean up!

However, on balance I feel a regular run is beneficial on various counts, the point to take is if you run the engine give it a decent loaded run, not idle for a few minutes.

Archived