Anymore evidence required to prove Brexit was the right choice?........

Guest pelmetman

pelmetman - 2021-04-01 6:28 PM

Really? ;-) .........

https://www.lifeinitaly.com/culture/business/mc-donalds/

At least Boris values my life at more than the cost a Big Mac meal :D ........

As I have already had the opportunity to explain to one smarter friend of yours, in Italy there are few fast food outlets, including McDonalds.

In the town where I live (60,000+ inhabitants) there is one.

Some time ago there was also a Burger King, closed after six months due to lack of customers.

No KFC, no Pizza Hut, no....

No junk food overhere, sorry.

Michelin dolls are not a problem here.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-04-02 9:41 AM

pelmetman - 2021-04-02 9:27 AM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-04-02 9:14 AM

pelmetman - 2021-04-02 9:04 AM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-04-01 10:43 PM

pelmetman - 2021-04-01 9:47 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-04-01 9:41 PM

pelmetman - 2021-04-01 9:31 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-04-01 9:26 PM

But as Brian has already explained to you, the virus is mutating all the time, these variants are only deemed worthy of a nickname when they have significantly different attributes like being more contagious (like the Kent variant) or more lethal (like the South African variant). The 20A.EU1 that emerged in Spain in early summer was too similar in its symptoms and effects to warrant its own moniker.

Utter Bollox's *-).........

"A coronavirus variant that originated in Spanish farm workers has spread rapidly through much of Europe since the summer, and now accounts for the majority of new Covid-19 cases in several countries — and more than 80 per cent in the UK.

An international team of scientists that has been tracking the virus through its genetic mutations has described the extraordinary spread of the variant, called 20A.EU1, in a research paper to be published on Thursday."

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/mutant-covid-19-strain-in-spanish-farm-workers-sparked-europes-second-wave-scientists

You really are the gift that keeps on giving. From YOUR link

"

The scientific teams in Switzerland and Spain are now rushing to examine the behaviour of the variant to establish whether it may be more deadly or more infectious than other strains. Dr Hodcroft stressed that there was “no evidence that the variant’s [rapid] spread is due to a mutation that increases transmission or impacts clinical outcome”.

But she emphasised that 20A.EU1 was unlike any version of Sars-Cov-2 — the virus that causes Covid-19 — she had previously come across. “I’ve not seen any variant with this sort of dynamic for as long as I’ve been looking at genomic sequences of coronavirus in Europe,” she said.

In particular, the teams are working with virology laboratories to establish whether 20A.EU1 carries a particular mutation, in the “spike protein” that the virus uses to enter human cells, that might alter its behaviour.

All viruses develop mutations — changes in the individual letters of their genetic code — which can group together into new variants and strains. Another mutation in Sars-Cov-2, called D614G, has been identified which is believed to make the virus more infectious."

So the FACT that it infected 80% of the UK didn't mean it was more transmissable? *-) .........

So in October it was responsible for 80% of cases here. Then it mutated into the Kent variant, in October the death toll was 35,000 due in part to the Kent variant being more contagious than the Spanish (see what I did there) variant it is now 127,000.

Which do you think is more contagious and deserves its own nickname?

Best re do your homework CowPat ;-) ...........

"Analysing death rates among people infected with the new variant, researchers found it led to 227 deaths in a sample of 54,906 patients – compared with 141 among the same number of closely matched patients who had the variant circulating earlier in the pandemic."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-kent-variant-deadly-b1815126.html

Now who's variant do you think is responsible for most UK deaths? *-) .........

Fortunately the UK now has over 50% of our population jabbed which is clearly proving to be effective against the Kent variant that may or may not have mutated here ;-) .........

So come the final scores on the doors we know that it will have been the EU variants that killed most Brits :-| ............

I'd have thought that even someone with your limited intelligence might have recognised that in the period when a brand new disease arrived and six months later that medical staff might have worked out better ways to treat it which would significantly reduce the death toll?

Indeed those first unfortunate cases were very much a test bed for what works.

Yep I recognise that Boris has done a terrific job of managing the Pandemic compared to EU countries B-) ..........

It appears your limited inteligence/LOSER HATE is preventing you from seeing the blindingly obvious 8-) ..........

What a Sado (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

Did we know Dexamethasone and Remdisivir would work?

Why did we order all those ventilators when it was CPAP machines that made the difference?

Do you think that while these treatments were being developed during the early stages of the disease, that some people would have died, who would today, with these and other interventions have survived. That's the nature of medical discoveries developed by educated people who went to university.

But who is learning from those discoveries? ;-) .............

Not EU >:-) ...........

Guest pelmetman
mtravel - 2021-04-02 9:51 AM

Really? ;-) .........

As I have already had the opportunity to explain to one smarter friend of yours, in Italy there are few fast food outlets, including McDonalds.

Some time ago there was also a Burger King, closed after six months due to lack of customers.

Eh? :-S ...........

You admit you have Macdonalds then say you dont have junk food??? 8-) ........

Best go and have a word with your inflatable Michelin doll as your not making sense :D .........

pelmetman - 2021-04-02 12:00 PM

Really? ;-) .........

Best go and have a word with your inflatable Michelin doll as your not making sense :D .........

610 Mac overhere, 1274 in the UK.

Roughly the same population.

Few other brands overhere, how many in the UK ?

Better a Michelin inflatable than the real ones you have.

mtravel - 2021-04-02 11:18 AM

pelmetman - 2021-04-02 12:00 PM

Really? ;-) .........

610 Mac overhere, 1274 in the UK.

Roughly the same population.

Few other brands overhere, how many in the UK ?

Better a Michelin inflatable than the real ones you have.

A lot!! This link lists them; https://fastfoodprice.co.uk/fast-food-restaurants-uk/

This link list the cities with the most fast food outlets per 100k people; https://tinyurl.com/55nze3jz

pelmetman - 2021-04-01 4:53 PM

Barryd999 - 2021-04-01 12:38 PM

mtravel - 2021-04-01 12:32 PM

I got it.

BB (Before Brexit) Brit favorite food: fish & chips.

AB (After Brexit) Brit nouvelle cousine: bat & chips

Or in Daves cases "Batty Brexit and Chips"

Well skewered by the way Brian (again) above. (lol)

Skewered??? :-S ..........

You LOSERS may fall for Brians Blah Blah Blah ;-) ........

I am fortunately immune to his EU biased Bullsh*t >:-) ..........

All you are immune to is reading anything longer that three words! :-D That immunity has blighted, and continues to blight, your life. Sadly, the resulting resentments have become a semi-articulate blight on everyone-else's lives. Now that is an achievement!! (lol) (lol)

Bulletguy - 2021-04-02 12:36 PM

A lot!! This link lists them; https://fastfoodprice.co.uk/fast-food-restaurants-uk/

This link list the cities with the most fast food outlets per 100k people; https://tinyurl.com/55nze3jz

Preliminary note:

In Italy there are many take away or home delivery pizzerias but they are not to be considered fast food.

Wood oven, fresh quality ingredients, suitable flours, cooking and tight food police controls make them comparable to real restaurants.

That said, since you intrigued me, I did a search that led to these numbers:

McDonalds 610

Dominos 28 (only in Northern regions)

KFC 30

Subway 13

Burger King 175

LEON unknown brand

Nando’s unknown brand

SpudULike unknown brand

Greggs unknown brand

Five guys unknown brand

Pret a Manger unknown brand

Papa Johns unknown brand

Wahaca’s unknown brand

Krispy Kreme unknown brand

Bagel Nash unknown brand

Barburitto unknown brand

Chicken Cottage unknown brand

Little Chef unknown brand

Starbucks 1

Shakeaway unknown brand

Dixy Chicken unknown brand

Millie’s Cookies unknown brand

Wimpy never seen overhere

Wendy’s 1 (perhaps, not sure)

Pizza Express someone seems to exist but has only used the name

It seems that fast food is not a profitable business south of the Alps.

pelmetman - 2021-04-02 10:51 AM

But as Brian has already explained to you, the virus is mutating all the time, these variants are only deemed worthy of a nickname when they have significantly different attributes like being more contagious (like the Kent variant) or more lethal (like the South African variant). The 20A.EU1 that emerged in Spain in early summer was too similar in its symptoms and effects to warrant its own moniker.

"A coronavirus variant that originated in Spanish farm workers has spread rapidly through much of Europe since the summer, and now accounts for the majority of new Covid-19 cases in several countries — and more than 80 per cent in the UK.

An international team of scientists that has been tracking the virus through its genetic mutations has described the extraordinary spread of the variant, called 20A.EU1, in a research paper to be published on Thursday."

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/mutant-covid-19-strain-in-spanish-farm-workers-sparked-europes-second-wave-scientists

"

The scientific teams in Switzerland and Spain are now rushing to examine the behaviour of the variant to establish whether it may be more deadly or more infectious than other strains. Dr Hodcroft stressed that there was “no evidence that the variant’s [rapid] spread is due to a mutation that increases transmission or impacts clinical outcome”.

But she emphasised that 20A.EU1 was unlike any version of Sars-Cov-2 — the virus that causes Covid-19 — she had previously come across. “I’ve not seen any variant with this sort of dynamic for as long as I’ve been looking at genomic sequences of coronavirus in Europe,” she said.

In particular, the teams are working with virology laboratories to establish whether 20A.EU1 carries a particular mutation, in the “spike protein” that the virus uses to enter human cells, that might alter its behaviour.

All viruses develop mutations — changes in the individual letters of their genetic code — which can group together into new variants and strains. Another mutation in Sars-Cov-2, called D614G, has been identified which is believed to make the virus more infectious."

So the FACT that it infected 80% of the UK didn't mean it was more transmissable? *-) .........

So in October it was responsible for 80% of cases here. Then it mutated into the Kent variant, in October the death toll was 35,000 due in part to the Kent variant being more contagious than the Spanish (see what I did there) variant it is now 127,000.

"Analysing death rates among people infected with the new variant, researchers found it led to 227 deaths in a sample of 54,906 patients – compared with 141 among the same number of closely matched patients who had the variant circulating earlier in the pandemic."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-kent-variant-deadly-b1815126.html

Fortunately the UK now has over 50% of our population jabbed which is clearly proving to be effective against the Kent variant that may or may not have mutated here ;-) .........

So come the final scores on the doors we know that it will have been the EU variants that killed most Brits :-| ............

I'd have thought that even someone with your limited intelligence might have recognised that in the period when a brand new disease arrived and six months later that medical staff might have worked out better ways to treat it which would significantly reduce the death toll?

Yep I recognise that Boris has done a terrific job of managing the Pandemic compared to EU countries B-) ..........

It appears your limited inteligence/LOSER HATE is preventing you from seeing the blindingly obvious 8-) ..........

Why did we order all those ventilators when it was CPAP machines that made the difference?

Do you think that while these treatments were being developed during the early stages of the disease, that some people would have died, who would today, with these and other interventions have survived. That's the nature of medical discoveries developed by educated people who went to university.

Actually it was Italy that made the breakthrough with CPAP and Remdesivir had 60 trial sites where it was tested widely including in the United States (45 sites), Denmark (8), the United Kingdom (5), Greece (4), Germany (3), Korea (2), Mexico (2), Spain (2), Japan (1), and Singapore (1).

Without worldwide cooperation the breakthroughs that reduced the death toll here during the second wave caused by the more contagious Kent variant would have been much higher.

But you keep digging.....

mtravel - 2021-04-02 1:14 PM

Bulletguy - 2021-04-02 12:36 PM

Preliminary note:

In Italy there are many take away or home delivery pizzerias but they are not to be considered fast food.

Wood oven, fresh quality ingredients, suitable flours, cooking and tight food police controls make them comparable to real restaurants.

That said, since you intrigued me, I did a search that led to these numbers:

McDonalds 610

Dominos 28 (only in Northern regions)

KFC 30

Subway 13

Burger King 175

LEON unknown brand

Nando’s unknown brand

SpudULike unknown brand

Greggs unknown brand

Five guys unknown brand

Pret a Manger unknown brand

Papa Johns unknown brand

Wahaca’s unknown brand

Krispy Kreme unknown brand

Bagel Nash unknown brand

Barburitto unknown brand

Chicken Cottage unknown brand

Little Chef unknown brand

Starbucks 1

Shakeaway unknown brand

Dixy Chicken unknown brand

Millie’s Cookies unknown brand

Wimpy never seen overhere

Wendy’s 1 (perhaps, not sure)

Pizza Express someone seems to exist but has only used the name

It seems that fast food is not a profitable business south of the Alps.

Yes McDonalds is undoubtedly the most dominant burger chain. Personally it's never been my thing and believe it or not i've only ever been in one. If I want any burgers I buy 100% beef and grill or barbeque them. The best type of beef is Angus from Scotland. Not cheap but worth paying the extra.

Wimpy was extremely popular during the 60's in UK and a meeting place for teenagers. At one time there would be Wimpy bars in every town and city here but McDonalds crushed them and now there are just 67 in England, 3 in Scotland and 1 in Wales.

Really? ;-) .........

Maybe it depends a bit on the town and the pizzeria, Massimo.

We visited Naples some years back, and made a point of visiting Da Michele for pizza, which was very good, and claimed as being authentic Neapolitan pizza, in the town in which it is claimed pizza originated, made in one of the oldest Neapolitan pizzerias.

I guess whether that would have classed as "fast food" would depend on who was giving the classifications. You could eat at a table (which we did) but you could also buy the pizzas from a servery outside the pizzeria, as many more were doing. Just folded in half, and then in half again, so that it became a quadrant, and then eaten on the go. They were doing a roaring trade. That, to me, would classify as fast food, possibly even the original fast food! :-)

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-04-02 1:27 PM

pelmetman - 2021-04-02 10:51 AM

"

Actually it was Italy that made the breakthrough with CPAP and Remdesivir had 60 trial sites where it was tested widely including in the United States (45 sites), Denmark (8), the United Kingdom (5), Greece (4), Germany (3), Korea (2), Mexico (2), Spain (2), Japan (1), and Singapore (1).

Without worldwide cooperation the breakthroughs that reduced the death toll here during the second wave caused by the more contagious Kent variant would have been much higher.

But you keep digging.....

I repeat ;-) ............"who is learning from those discoveries?" >:-) ..........

I'll give you a clue :D ..........

It's NOT EU *-) ..........

But you keep defending EU incompetence 8-) ...........

Sucker (lol) (lol) (lol) ...........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2021-04-02 12:32 PM

pelmetman - 2021-04-01 4:53 PM

Barryd999 - 2021-04-01 12:38 PM

mtravel - 2021-04-01 12:32 PM

I got it.

BB (Before Brexit) Brit favorite food: fish & chips.

AB (After Brexit) Brit nouvelle cousine: bat & chips

Or in Daves cases "Batty Brexit and Chips"

Well skewered by the way Brian (again) above. (lol)

Skewered??? :-S ..........

You LOSERS may fall for Brians Blah Blah Blah ;-) ........

I am fortunately immune to his EU biased Bullsh*t >:-) ..........

All you are immune to is reading anything longer that three words! :-D That immunity has blighted, and continues to blight, your life. Sadly, the resulting resentments have become a semi-articulate blight on everyone-else's lives. Now that is an achievement!! (lol) (lol)

If I can be a blight on LOSERS lives with just a few words B-) ...........

I have achieved by aim (lol) (lol) (lol) .............

maxresdefaultmuttley.thumb.jpg.1a10c095a3dab2105d1d21ecce30ace5.jpg

pelmetman - 2021-04-01 7:08 PM

Brian Kirby - 2021-04-01 7:00 PM

pelmetman - 2021-04-01 6:11 PM..................................Nothing to suck up Brian ;-) ........

You have just shown that like the NASTY EU you are trying to weaponize where COVID mutates 8-) .......

Which just shows how low NASTY LOSERS and the NASTY EU have sunk *-) ........

No Dave, I'm just struggling to persuade you of a very simple, self-evident, truth - that you don't want to face up to.

That from all available evidence the Kent variant mutated in Kent, and very sadly has since spread from Kent across the UK, causing about 50% of all Covid deaths here, but (and it seems you may be pleased by this) has also spread across Europe (which includes the EU) and is now killing people there.

I should remind you (because it was more than an hour ago), that this whole "discussion" originated when you were complaining that some eminent scientists hade the temerity to state that in their opinion the Kent variant had originated in ................................. Kent.

You were disputing that because it implicated the UK as its origin, and you were looking for evidence (of which there is none) that it had been imported into the UK from "France, Spain, or Italy".

Now that seems to me to show that just like the NASTY UK Brexiters it was you who was trying to weaponize where COVID mutates - which just shows how low you NASTY Brexiters have sunk - even by your own standards.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Time to stop, methinks. (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Nice try Brian ;-) .........

Your Blah blah blah only fools LOSERS *-) .......

The FACT is that you LOSERS like the NASTY EU are trying to weaponize where a variant mutates :-| .......

Perhaps its time for you Brit Haters to stop methinks ;-) .........

Or emigrate to LOSER Land......Go on you know EU want to >:-) ........

Update, from the Guardian Weekend magazine 03/04/21 and it is quite long, so Dave will cover his eyes in case he reads a bit of sense (known to Dave as blah, blah, because it is more that three words long, but also because his cognitive dissonance goes into overdrive when his fag packet reasoning is challenged).

Link here for those prepared to invest a bit of time in gaining some useful further knowledge: https://tinyurl.com/2r9ddvdh

For the more impatient, the significant part of a long story is this:

"While sequencing helped identify and track the variant’s spread, it couldn’t explain where it had come from. Atchison and her team went looking for patient zero, contacting the 20 first cases they knew about. “We wanted to know, has it been imported? Is it from an animal?” They had been watching for any virus arriving from Denmark’s mink farms, where an outbreak had led to the cull of 17m animals in November. “We were nervous there may be an animal reservoir. And most other countries don’t do genomic surveillance as well as we do.”

The first sequences in the database were from two people who were tested on 20 September in Kent, and 21 September in London. But neither was the first person to have it. “They hadn’t had links to immunocompromised people, hadn’t travelled anywhere unusual or had contact with someone who had,” Atchison says. “They weren’t farmers or vets.”

Tracking back beyond the sequenced cases was impossible with any certainty; virus samples were destroyed after a few days. (The discovery of the Kent variant has changed that; labs are now asked to keep them for a month.) “My best guess was the first patient might have been somewhere in London, because it’s just a big city with lots of people,” Barrett says. It might have been someone who flew in from another country; but as it spread rapidly in the UK before taking hold anywhere else, he thinks this unlikely.

Most scientists now think it emerged in someone who was ill with Covid for a long time, and whose immune system was compromised. Ravi Gupta, professor of clinical microbiology at Cambridge University, saw this when the virus mutated in a Covid patient he was treating in hospital. The man in his 70s had a damaged immune system because of lymphoma and chemotherapy. Two months after contracting Covid, he was given convalescent plasma, full of antibodies from patients who had recovered. But sequencing the virus in him, they found it had changed in a way that appeared to confer resistance to the antibodies. It was not the first case of the Kent variant; but many scientists think it is the most plausible explanation of how it might have emerged."

So, no smoking gun, but an accumulation of evidence, as might be expected, that presently points in one direction only. The Kent variant emerged spontaneously in the UK - 'though not necessarily in Kent. The above extracts are a bit misleading as to the complexity of the story, but there is a wealth of further detail in the rest of the article to explain how this conclusion was arrived at.

One think is for sure: there are a lot of unsung backroom boffins in this story who deserve far greater public recognition for their work.

Sadly, from Dave's point of view, they are all university educated, and they are helping him stay Covid free and alive. Must be very difficult for his cognitive dissonance! (lol) (lol)

CurtainRaiser - 2021-04-01 8:45 PM................................

What the one you probably brought back from Spain with you?

Following its emergence in late 2019, SARS-CoV-2 has caused a global pandemic resulting in unprecedented efforts to reduce transmission and develop therapies and vaccines (WHO Emergency Committee, 2020; Zhu et al., 2020). Rapidly generated viral genome sequences have allowed the spread of the virus to be tracked via phylogenetic analysis (Hadfield et al., 2018; Pybus et al., 2020; Worobey et al., 2020). While the virus spread globally in early 2020 before borders closed, intercontinental travel has since been greatly reduced, allowing continent-specific variants to emerge. However, within Europe travel resumed in the summer of 2020, and the impact of this travel on the epidemic is not well understood. Here we report on a novel SARS-CoV-2 variant, 20A.EU1, that emerged in Spain in early summer, and subsequently spread to multiple locations in Europe, accounting for the majority of sequences by autumn. We find no evidence of increased transmissibility of this variant, but instead demonstrate how rising incidence in Spain, resumption of travel across Europe, and lack of effective screening and containment may explain the variant’s success. Despite travel restrictions and quarantine requirements, we estimate 20A.EU1 was introduced hundreds of times to countries across Europe by summertime travellers, likely undermining local efforts to keep SARS-CoV-2 cases low. Our results demonstrate how genomic surveillance is critical to understanding how travel can impact SARS-CoV-2 transmission, and thus for informing future containment strategies as travel resumes.

(Presumed) later addendum to the above quote from Pub Med:

"Caveats: 20A.EU1 most probably rose in frequency in multiple countries due to travel and difference in SARS-CoV-2 prevalence. There is no evidence that it spreads faster . There are currently no data to evaluate whether this variant affects the severity of the disease . While dominant in some countries, 20A.EU1 has not taken over everywhere and diverse variants of SARS-CoV-2 continue to circulate across Europe. 20A.EU1 is not the cause of the European 'second wave.'

Further article from the same source, dated Jan 12 2021, dealing with variant B.1.1.7 (the Kent strain) here:

"On December 14, 2020, the United Kingdom reported a SARS-CoV-2 variant of concern (VOC), lineage B.1.1.7, also referred to as VOC 202012/01 or 20I/501Y.V1.* The B.1.1.7 variant is estimated to have emerged in September 2020 and has quickly become the dominant circulating SARS-CoV-2 variant in England (1). B.1.1.7 has been detected in over 30 countries, including the United States. As of January 13, 2021, approximately 76 cases of B.1.1.7 have been detected in 12 U.S. states.† Multiple lines of evidence indicate that B.1.1.7 is more efficiently transmitted than are other SARS-CoV-2 variants (1-3). The modeled trajectory of this variant in the U.S. exhibits rapid growth in early 2021, becoming the predominant variant in March. Increased SARS-CoV-2 transmission might threaten strained health care resources, require extended and more rigorous implementation of public health strategies (4), and increase the percentage of population immunity required for pandemic control. Taking measures to reduce transmission now can lessen the potential impact of B.1.1.7 and allow critical time to increase vaccination coverage. Collectively, enhanced genomic surveillance combined with continued compliance with effective public health measures, including vaccination, physical distancing, use of masks, hand hygiene, and isolation and quarantine, will be essential to limiting the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Strategic testing of persons without symptoms but at higher risk of infection, such as those exposed to SARS-CoV-2 or who have frequent unavoidable contact with the public, provides another opportunity to limit ongoing spread."

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2021-04-06 11:00 AM

pelmetman - 2021-04-01 7:08 PM

Brian Kirby - 2021-04-01 7:00 PM

pelmetman - 2021-04-01 6:11 PM..................................Nothing to suck up Brian ;-) ........

You have just shown that like the NASTY EU you are trying to weaponize where COVID mutates 8-) .......

Which just shows how low NASTY LOSERS and the NASTY EU have sunk *-) ........

No Dave, I'm just struggling to persuade you of a very simple, self-evident, truth - that you don't want to face up to.

That from all available evidence the Kent variant mutated in Kent, and very sadly has since spread from Kent across the UK, causing about 50% of all Covid deaths here, but (and it seems you may be pleased by this) has also spread across Europe (which includes the EU) and is now killing people there.

I should remind you (because it was more than an hour ago), that this whole "discussion" originated when you were complaining that some eminent scientists hade the temerity to state that in their opinion the Kent variant had originated in ................................. Kent.

You were disputing that because it implicated the UK as its origin, and you were looking for evidence (of which there is none) that it had been imported into the UK from "France, Spain, or Italy".

Now that seems to me to show that just like the NASTY UK Brexiters it was you who was trying to weaponize where COVID mutates - which just shows how low you NASTY Brexiters have sunk - even by your own standards.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Time to stop, methinks. (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Nice try Brian ;-) .........

Your Blah blah blah only fools LOSERS *-) .......

The FACT is that you LOSERS like the NASTY EU are trying to weaponize where a variant mutates :-| .......

Perhaps its time for you Brit Haters to stop methinks ;-) .........

Or emigrate to LOSER Land......Go on you know EU want to >:-) ........

Update, from the Guardian Weekend magazine 03/04/21 and it is quite long, so Dave will cover his eyes in case he reads a bit of sense (known to Dave as blah, blah, because it is more that three words long, but also because his cognitive dissonance goes into overdrive when his fag packet reasoning is challenged).

Link here for those prepared to invest a bit of time in gaining some useful further knowledge: https://tinyurl.com/2r9ddvdh

For the more impatient, the significant part of a long story is this:

"While sequencing helped identify and track the variant’s spread, it couldn’t explain where it had come from. Atchison and her team went looking for patient zero, contacting the 20 first cases they knew about. “We wanted to know, has it been imported? Is it from an animal?” They had been watching for any virus arriving from Denmark’s mink farms, where an outbreak had led to the cull of 17m animals in November. “We were nervous there may be an animal reservoir. And most other countries don’t do genomic surveillance as well as we do.”

The first sequences in the database were from two people who were tested on 20 September in Kent, and 21 September in London. But neither was the first person to have it. “They hadn’t had links to immunocompromised people, hadn’t travelled anywhere unusual or had contact with someone who had,” Atchison says. “They weren’t farmers or vets.”

Tracking back beyond the sequenced cases was impossible with any certainty; virus samples were destroyed after a few days. (The discovery of the Kent variant has changed that; labs are now asked to keep them for a month.) “My best guess was the first patient might have been somewhere in London, because it’s just a big city with lots of people,” Barrett says. It might have been someone who flew in from another country; but as it spread rapidly in the UK before taking hold anywhere else, he thinks this unlikely.

Most scientists now think it emerged in someone who was ill with Covid for a long time, and whose immune system was compromised. Ravi Gupta, professor of clinical microbiology at Cambridge University, saw this when the virus mutated in a Covid patient he was treating in hospital. The man in his 70s had a damaged immune system because of lymphoma and chemotherapy. Two months after contracting Covid, he was given convalescent plasma, full of antibodies from patients who had recovered. But sequencing the virus in him, they found it had changed in a way that appeared to confer resistance to the antibodies. It was not the first case of the Kent variant; but many scientists think it is the most plausible explanation of how it might have emerged."

So, no smoking gun, but an accumulation of evidence, as might be expected, that presently points in one direction only. The Kent variant emerged spontaneously in the UK - 'though not necessarily in Kent. The above extracts are a bit misleading as to the complexity of the story, but there is a wealth of further detail in the rest of the article to explain how this conclusion was arrived at.

One think is for sure: there are a lot of unsung backroom boffins in this story who deserve far greater public recognition for their work.

Sadly, from Dave's point of view, they are all university educated, and they are helping him stay Covid free and alive. Must be very difficult for his cognitive dissonance! (lol) (lol)

More Blah Blah blahing Brian dosen't excuse your LIES >:-) ........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2021-04-09 12:43 PM

pelmetman - 2021-04-08 6:17 PM............................More Blah Blah blahing Brian dosen't excuse your LIES >:-) ........

Ah, that again! Go on then. prove the lie. The floor is yours. I'll just watch - it's a free show. (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Your statement ;-) ............"Says no Italian input detectable. So, with a significant number of the UK's scientists saying no detectable Italian Input" ..........

Please put up the evidence??? >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2021-04-10 8:47 AM

pelmetman - 2021-04-08 6:17 PM............................More Blah Blah blahing Brian dosen't excuse your LIES >:-) ........

Ah, that again! Go on then. prove the lie. The floor is yours. I'll just watch - it's a free show. (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Your statement ;-) ............"Says no Italian input detectable. So, with a significant number of the UK's scientists saying no detectable Italian Input" ..........

It is in my post of 6 April 2021 11:00 AM, just above. Your problem is that what you call "blah, blah", is the evidence - but you don't/won't, cant read it. You have the evidence, in writing, in public, form a published source, open for everyone to see, but you deliberately ignore it. Others will draw their own conclusions.

Brian Kirby - 2021-04-10 12:05 PM

It is in my post of 6 April 2021 11:00 AM, just above. Your problem is that what you call "blah, blah", is the evidence - but you don't/won't, cant read it. You have the evidence, in writing, in public, form a published source, open for everyone to see, but you deliberately ignore it. Others will draw their own conclusions.

Brian, read my post in his "hater" thread. It explains his potty pedantry. :-|

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2021-04-10 12:05 PM

Giggle :D .......

Archived