Autotrail / Ducato Immobiliser issue

wordingh

Hi,

I went to start my Autotrail Cherokee (2013 - Ducato 2.3-130) last week and it would not start, it turns over fine but no sign of it actually starting.

I then noticed that the amber immobiliser light was on permanently in the dashboard.

I did some basic checks and called out my recovery service. The mechanic attached a jump pack to the battery and did some testing of the fuses but could not provide a fix. He suggested that the key & immobiliser might need to be re-coded and gave me the name and number of a mobile locksmith.

Before I go ahead and call the locksmith, does anyone have any ideas of things I can check ? I really hope that nothing major has failed !

I have checked / changed the following:

- Secondary battery attached to engine battery

- Left battery disconnected for 10mins

- Checked all fuses under dash and in engine bay

- Added a secondary earth strap between engine and chassis, wire brushed the bolts

- Tried starting with both keys

Unfortunately all of the above have not made any difference.

Thanks in advance,

Paul..

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

It seems that the code receiver on your vehicle, does not recognise either of your key codes.

This could be due to corruption of the stored codes, but there is another possible fault that has been identified by a contributor to this forum.

The keys contain a passive transponder chip that is interrogated by the code receiver, via a ring shaped aerial which surrounds the outer end of the ignition lock. The aerial is connected to the code receiver by a short two core screened cable. The code receiver is mounted on the lower side of the steering column under the lower shroud/cover.

Carefully check both cores of the cable for continuity.

On a more personal note, I do not like thanks in advance. The best thanks that you can give please, is to report back to the forum as to the eventual fix. That could help others in the same position as yourself.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I took the shroud off this morning and can see the two cables leading from the black plastic aerial which surrounds the ignition lock.

However the cables then join with the ignition cables in black wrapping and disappear off behind the dashboard and i cannot see any code receiver under the dash.

I am not sure how I would test the continuity of the cables unless I can try and trace where they go after going behind the dash.

Br

Paul...

Paul,

Do you have access to a code reader/scanner capable of accessing the security module of your Ducato? It will need to be a better unit than just an OBD scanner to access it though. I hope others can recommend a suitable scanner as I have no experience with Ducato's.

If so it should tell you the reason your immobiliser light is on.

Keith.

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the incorrect info, which relates to the X244. On your vehicle the aerial will be connected to the Body Computer.

I have found a diagram for a 3ltr X250 on the Fiat Forum. Yours will probably be similar, so you may consider it to be worth looking at pins 7 & 8 of connector A on the BCM . For the diagram follow this link to the Fiat Forum. Unfortunately not easy to read, as pdf gives poor definition.

For further info related to your problem try a Google search "Fiat Ducato X250 immobiliser" this will return links to this Forum, Fiat Forum and others. The Fiat Forum is free to join, and includes a downloads section which incudes eLearn (workshop manual) for the X250. It is however a large file in 3 sections with a .rar extension, which need to be unzipped. Guide to downloading also available on same site.

For reading Fiat error codes, Multiecuscan is a frequently recommended piece of commercial software.

I hope that some of the above info, will point you in the right direction whatever that may be.

Alan

I managed to download the eLearn application from the Fiat forum website and it was very useful. I have posted the question on the Ducato page of the Fiat forum to see if someone has come across this problem before.

However I dont think the wiring diagram is the same as what is used in my Ducato. A white/grey and white/brown wire leaves the immobiliser aerial, but there is no sign of the same wiring colours in Pins 7 & 8 of connector A, or indeed anywhere in connection A on the body control unit.

I will keep investigating but am now getting towards the limit of my technical skills.

Paul

After standing for a few months but the batteries regularly topped up our Rapido 2010 Ducato showed the same problem as the OP.

I tried the spare key , same result, engine turned over then immobiliser light on .

Tried original key, and immobiliser light flickered, I inserted the key a few times and the immobiliser light finally stopped flicking, and Praise whatever Gods you believe in, the engine started although sluggishly The engine had to be “ caught” on the throttle to make it run, OK after a few minutes holding the throttle at low revs, just above tick over.

It’s been stating ok, since then ( although writing this maybe the key of death! )

So maybe inserting the keys in and out of the ignition might be a result, Worth a try.

Could be that part of the ECU circuitry gets lazy if not used for a while.

Rgds

I have the motorhome booked into my local Fiat professional dealer next week to see if they can troubleshoot what the issue is.

I am suspecting that it is ECU related, just hoping that it is not silly money to replace and fix it.

I will keep you all updated on the results.

• 2 weeks later...

The issue was found to be a split in a red power wire from the ECU to the body control unit where it passes through the bulkhead. The technician gave me the failed section of wire, and you can barely see the spilt in the insulation and the wire. It took him 5 hours of troubleshooting to find the fault, so cost a bit to fix in labour but at least I have a working MH back now.

Paul

Archived