Melted tank.

alanedwin

Hi,

I put a new exhaust on my van recently and routed it under the waste tank at the very rear of the van. I considered a heat shield but reckoned that by the time the exhaust gasses had reached the end of my xlwb sprinter they would not be hot enough to melt plastic with a half inch air gap. Wrong!!

So my question is can anybody recommend a product to plug a half inch hole in a plastic waste tank?

Alan

alanedwin - 2021-05-06 11:33 AM

Hi,

I put a new exhaust on my van recently and routed it under the waste tank at the very rear of the van. I considered a heat shield but reckoned that by the time the exhaust gasses had reached the end of my xlwb sprinter they would not be hot enough to melt plastic with a half inch air gap. Wrong!!

So my question is can anybody recommend a product to plug a half inch hole in a plastic waste tank?

Alan

Hi, A mouse once chewed a hole in the top of my diesel tank and a local dealer plugged it with a fibre glass patch. That was about three years before I sold the van on and as far as I know it's still fine.

Weld it up!

If it melted at that low a temperature then you should have no problem welding it with a reasonably high powered soldering iron and some suitable 'filler' rod. I have used nylon cable ties as a filler on some plastic in the past. Or try and find a patch of some similar material and weld it over the hole.

You may have to take the tank off your MH and turn it over to work in a better orientation.

Keith.

Hi

You say a half inch hole , maybe difficult depending on the plastic involved You could try G Flex 655 Epoxy with a resin mat over the hole (works very well on quite a few plastics)

It may actually be more cost effective in the long run to purchase a better quality and re position the tank away from the exhaust system if possible

If not there are quite a few other epoxy repair out there you could try with a resin mat to fill and strengthen the half inch hole

Don't forget if you are unable to reposition the exhaust route or tank you will need a good heatshield in place to prevent a reoccurrence of same again

Regards

Hi

Yes should work .if not the fine fiberglass netting (used on windows to keep out those bugs) to reinforce when using a good epoxy works very well when you have to bridge a large hole in the tank , Sorry I did say matting ( do not use)

Use the fine fiberglass netting as a matting and coat with a good epoxy (flexible) sealant

I enclose a photo of the fine fiberglass netting

Regards

355462800_Fiberglassscreeningfortankrepairs.JPG.b48e13119fd61f2080bf51770a3a2ebd.JPG

As the hole in the tank is quite small (said to be “half inch”) provided that there were no clearance issues, it might be simpler to glue in a ‘bung’ rather than glue a patch on to the tank or weld the hole closed. For example using something like these might be practicable.

https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/34-plastic-plug/p4140

https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/12-plastic-plug/p4137

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Just an update on the tank repair. I used a putty recommended for fuel tank repair and finished with some heavy duty tape. It seems to be fine as we had no leaks on the last trip out.

The van is now sold and we get our new one next week.

Thanks for the advice and my next post will probably be for help fitting new stuff to the new van.

Alan

Archived