Inverter losing power

noble1

Hi all - I have an issue with a three year old inverter - prior to lockdown when off grid I could use 240v appliances regularly- coffee machine mostly now on our first trip out I’m lucky if I can make a cup of coffee before the inverter stops working - any help would be appreciated.

As said, the inverter will shut down when the battery voltage falls below a certain level, around 11 volts. The better inverters will have some sort of warning that this is happening, beeps or indicator.

Its quite possible that the batteries have expired due to the stress caused by the inverter.

There could be issues with the inverter itself but the fact it operates for a limited time suggests a battery failing. Simple tests with a meter at the battery and the inverter terminals will confirm.

Batteries steadily loose capacity, more so if heavily loaded by an inverter, and its probable the batteries have reached the end of life.

For a useful life, when using lead acid leisure batteries, the current drawn should not exceed 20 to 30 amps per 100Ah battery, and the battery should not be discharged more than 50%. This suggests that the battery requirements for a powerful inverter should be in the region of a 400Ah lead acid battery pack.

Using a powerful 1500 watt or 2000 watt with the typical 200Ah of battery and charging system in a motor home is possible, but the trade off is short battery life.

Mike

Mike

Have you changed the cabling to it?

Worth comparing the voltage at the battery with the voltage reaching the inverter.

You need cable rated several times higher than your usage to avoid significant voltage drop - Especially if its a long cable run.

Archived