Ducato ECO button question

Enjoyed driving the 2020 Ducato but have a question about the dashboard ECO button.

It seems that there's no way of setting this ON all the time, you have to manually activate it each time you switch the engine on. Cannot see anything else in the handbook.

Is that right or is there a way of setting it to be on continously?

Ducato experts comments welcomed :-D

The version of the manual I've just looked at says:

To activate the function press the ECO

fig. 64 button. When the function is

enabled, the corresponding LED on the

button turns on together with an icon

and a message on the display.

This function is memorised, so when

the vehicle is started again, the system

keeps the setting it had before the

engine was stopped. Press the ECO

button again to disable the function

and restore the normal driving setting.

An Owner Handbook for the latest Ducato models can be displayed/downloaded via the Fiat Elum website

https://aftersales.fiat.com/elum/Model.aspx?brand_code=77&id_language=2&id_model=791fe762-4f51-4081-926b-52686a0e4556&market_code=EN_EU&cat=lib#1

however, this handbook just advises an owner on how to enable/disable the ECO Mode (as shown in Robinhood’s posting above).

This Fiat Professional press release for Ducato 2020

https://www.fiatprofessional.com/uk/fiat-pro-world/ducato-my2020

said

The EcoPack will come as standard later in the year, providing the very best in smart technology applied to safeguarding the environment. The EcoPack includes the Start & Stop system, the smart alternator; the electronically-controlled fuel pump, which gives energy savings and greater combustion efficiency and the ECO switch that supports the driver in saving fuel: all to the benefit of the total cost of ownership.

ECO is one of the 3 modes available when a Ducato has the 9-Speed automatic transmission and its effect is mentioned here

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/fiat-reveals-new-ducato

but I don’t know what the ECO button causes to happen with manual-gearbox Ducatos.

(Perhaps ECO Mode trebles the force needed to press the accelerator beyond half-way. Or there’s an aggressive voice from a dashboard loudspeaker saying “Must you drive so ******* fast?” or “How about using top gear once in a while?” In fact, I think my 2015 Ducato must be a prototype with the ECO function permanently enabled even though there’s no ECO button as I often get that type of 'voice prompt' from somewhere on the far side of the cab.)

This link may be of interest

https://blog.consumerguide.com/what-does-the-eco-button-do/

Robinhood - 2021-05-20 3:50 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2021-05-20 3:31 PM

....but I don’t know what the ECO button causes to happen with manual-gearbox Ducatos.....

...it turns the Led light on in the switch..... (^)

Does it enable (or disable) the start/stop function? A lot of vehicles with start/stop have a button that prevents the engine automatically shutting off when stationary. On many vehicles start/stop often had to be deactivated by the driver at the start of each journey if desired, because the manufacturers had emissions rated the vehicles with start/stop enabled, but I understand that on more recent vehicles it can often retain the last used setting between trips or until reset.

Not sure...

The Owner Manual for my 2015 Ducato has a section for the Start&Stop system (that my vehicle does not have).

This section advises that activating/deactivating the system is via a button with an "A" on it in the MODE dashboard control set of buttons that turns the fog lights on and off and aldjusts the headlight upwards/downwards 'aim'.

The "A" button is said to have a LED that is OFF when the Start&Stop system is activated, or ON when the system is deactivated.

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/the-truth-about-automatic-engine-stop-start-systems

Thanks Derek and all.

Yes the Stop/Start function button can be set to stay on at all times simply by pressing it and illuminating the LED.

However, you need to press the ECO button to illuminate the yellow LED every time you start the engine. It doesn't retain the setting like the Stop/Start does.

Maybe it's a safety feature but it's **$$$ annoying!

Derek Uzzell - 2021-05-20 3:31 PM

In fact, I think my 2015 Ducato must be a prototype with the ECO function permanently enabled even though there’s no ECO button as I often get that type of 'voice prompt' from somewhere on the far side of the cab.)

Derek my Adria has that very same prototype 'voice prompt' They must be trialling different language responses as mine responds in Australian rather than English! Cheers,

Matrix Meanderer - 2021-05-20 5:44 PM

Thanks Derek and all.

Yes the Stop/Start function button can be set to stay on at all times simply by pressing it and illuminating the LED.

However, you need to press the ECO button to illuminate the yellow LED every time you start the engine. It doesn't retain the setting like the Stop/Start does.

Maybe it's a safety feature but it's **$$$ annoying!

That’s a bit odd as (logically) I’d expect the Start&Stop system to be automatically enabled whenever the vehicle’s engine is started and need the driver to disable it if he/she then so wished, and (conversely) the ECO mode to be disabled on engine start-up and need the driver to subsequently enable it. However (where the ECO button is concerned) the Ducato Owner Handbook provides the advice in Robinhood’s posting of 20 May 2021 11:58 AM - that the ECO function is memorised and retains its last setting.

On manual-transmission Ducatos that have Start&Stop and the ECO function, apparently the controls are via buttons on the dashboard MODE panel. The attached image shows that panel with the ECO button highlighted in green and the Start&Stop button in red, and I assume your Ducato (obtained in early-2018) has that arrangement.

I would have thought that (for a manual Ducato) enabling the ECO function will select a revised engine ‘map’ to reduce power and save fuel (and possibly alter the 'change gear advice’ points on the dashboard display) and (for an automatic Ducato) ECO will revise the map power-wise and the gearbox will up-shift earlier.

(There seems to have been a worrying number of complaints on German motorhome forums about ‘AdBlue’ Ducatos (Euro 6D-TEMP motors) producing error messages relating to the Start&Stop system.)

buttons.png.662f900f994460cbc76c0c7e4b986857.png

• 1 month later...
Derek Uzzell - 2021-05-21 8:11 AM

I’d expect the Start&Stop system to be automatically enabled whenever the vehicle’s engine is started and need the driver to disable it if he/she then so wished

Yes it does on mine (latest Ducato Euro 6D I heard its a legal requirement otherwise it doesn't comply with emissions regulations. There was a guy on ebay selling a home made electronic device which effectively presses the disable stop/start button for you every time you switch on the ignition. But I can't find it now and heard he had been stopped from selling it on there as it wasn't legal. I must admit I usually drive with the stop start function disabled. I recognise the need to reduce emissions and save fuel, so I do stop the engine if its likely to be more than half a minute or so. But I was taught that stopping and starting greatly increases the wear on an engine, so i don't want it stopping when I can see its only likely to be for a few seconds. Whether to stop the engine is a decision better taken by the driver than the computer, because only the driver can see how long the stop is likely to be.

My understanding is that oil works like a skier being pulled over shallow water. As long as he is moving there is no contact between the skis and the bottom - so no wear. But every time he stops he sinks to the bottom and grinds to a halt. Then has to be dragged along the bottom to get up speed again. So every time you stop your engine you get metal to metal contact and wear. Plus wear on the starter and battery. Stopping for a few seconds may save half a teaspoonful of diesel, but cost far more in wear and tear.

On mine the ECO button also reverts to the default position of OFF (so driving at full power) after every time you turn off the ignition.

Archived